RC Champion

Smile My E-Revo: Videos/Pics/Build

I'm annoying myself with the amount of threads I am creating to showcase work, progress, videos etc... so I'm hoping I'll be allowed this thread to keep it organized and the main page clear of this so more questions can be seen and tackled.

Here's a bunch of random clips showing on-road, off-road, crawling, speed passes, a front flip, and what my combo (MMP + Team Orion) sounds like when the sensor falls out of the ESC. I thought I broke it, turns out it was just... unplugged phew!!

My system is:

Batteries: Traxxas 25c 2200mah 2s LiPo
    Motor: Team Orion VST Pro Mofidied 9.5T Sensored Brushless
    ESC: Castle 1:10 MMP (Mamba Max Pro)
    Suspension: Summit purple springs rear, merv tan springs in the front, on Integy piggy backs running 100wt oil.
    Wheels/Tires: Stock, HPI Monster SS with Proline Speedhawgs, Summit Wheels with Summit Canyon AT rubber.
    RPM Bumpers and A-Arms, Traxxas aluminum tie-rods, stock toe-links.
    Traxxas Wheeliebar and hopup - red- wheelie bar wheels.
    Custom rear chassis brace, front chassis brace.
    Spektrum RX/TX

I've built a custom "flipper" for the car for when it's flipped far from me, but I'm currently waiting for a part to come back in stock before I get that all running again. The link is Here

When I dyed the chassis black, I left it in for 25 mins after taking the water from a boiling pot and putting it in a typical "car-wash bucket." I also dyed all the black parts on the car in the same dye to try and help match the colours as best I could.

I only use one battery at a time, there is no different in performance with two in parallel, and to run in series would be a waste as my car is already too fast for itself. The batteries are capable of outputting more then the motor can draw.

I've made 15 threads over the past few months but here's basically my system as it stands today:

A big thank-you to everyone on this forum! When first signed up a few months ago I read back almost every thread to about 85pages worth of history! I learned SO MUCH in so little time, and like to think I "know everything" but everyday I'm learning something new from everyones knowledge and experiences! I'm very greatful to all of you, and here's lookin' forward to a summer of fun with this truck!
    Last edited by krallopian; 03-19-2012 at 05:55 PM.

RC Champion
    I love your setup!! Do you have a overhead shot of it with the BB installed? Im sure there is a picture in one of your other threads but i cannot find it rite now. Im trying to see where i want the 3 wires from the motor to run. It looks like you have yours by the RX box. Thats where i originally tried putting mine but they were hitting the antenna tube and it was putting enough pressure on the motor it wasnt meshing rite.

RC Champion
    Thanks! The video is up now (wasn't when I posted, was still uploading)

Here's the shot you asked for!

My motor DOES hit the antenna tube, but not enough to cause any issues.

Make sure when you cut the wires, you cut them different lengths or they will bunch up!

I cut mine like this:

RC Champion
    The wires on my motor come rite out of the can so i was told not to cut them at all. So i was just going to cut the ESC wires to clean it up a bit.

RC Champion
    I took the car off-road again, I have it completely setup wrong for crawling but wanted to see what I could do with my street setup. Threw the Summit tires back on and just went for it. Reverse and forwards are about 900% too powerful right now for it, and besides the diffs are as open as they can be, HORRIBLE for crawling, however it still did a decent job! I'm most impressed with the lack of cogging - again due to being sensored which makes any of this even possible to begin with.

For those of you who don't already know, a sensored motor allows you to run very slowly, and very smoothly with a brushless motor (similar to smoothness of a brushed). The MMP ESC that I am using allows you to run both sensored or sensorless motors, and if the sensor falls out during driving, it just switched to sensorless mode real-time AND best of all, because sensored mode creates more heat, when you're going slow it operates in sensored mode, and when you're racing around it switches in to sensorless mode to keep the heat down and efficiency up!

The video doesn't show it, but that's actually a very steep incline, it's about 40-45 most of the time. I know I know I still need a better camera. I'm very big in to video editing and I'm really looking forward to putting together a nice epic cinematic compilation for the car as soon as I can. Not one of those death metal distorted videos but ... epic cool with plenty of car sounds, but music on and off to support it. In time....

I'm trying to send people a PM on here and I keep getting, "you cannot send to this user either you are not allowed to or they have requested they do not receive them" so if your name rhymes with "gully" uncheck that box else email me @ krallopian2@hotmail.com
    Last edited by krallopian; 03-20-2012 at 07:07 PM.

RC poster
    Where did you get those body clip things?

RC Champion
    They're 1:10 scale clips, with pull tabs I think I got'm from the toyz site!

RC Qualifier
    nice threath i will follow this

RC Qualifier
    Hey what did you do to make that rear chassis brace?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    i still like this rims tires combi , its so awesome

RC Champion
    Thanks Mossie!

staab I took a toe link from a slash, two screws and a custom aluminum plate.

I got some aluminum bar from my local hardware store (Canadian Tire - it's a cross between a target/walmart and a napa) and cut off a small piece, I filed it down and drilled some holes using the stock shock tower as a guide for the holes for the shocks:

Then I took put the bar on the rear wing support, used a 4mm longer screw to go through everything, and mounted it with another screw to the new aluminum piece I made up.

It has helped I'm sure, I've done some pretty wicked cartwheels and there's been no issues!

RC Champion
    Upcoming video! Bwhahaha

RC Champion
    Krall, stop posting pictures already.. They make me too jealous! hahahaha All your pictures of your awesome MERV is making me soo impatient to get home to finish installing my bb! lol. Thats why im painting my shell now cuz i had to do something that had to do with my merv or i was gonna go nuts lol.

RC Champion
    Man now that the snow has melted (all melted last week) there is SO MUCH HORSE MANURE in their paddocks.. makes for good off-roading but the whole idea of racing through horse crap kinda bothers me hahah!

RC Champion
    Hahahaha that wouldn't be fun to clean!!!

RC Champion

It was SO bright out there today... I mean the camera doesn't show it at all - or maybe that's why everything is blue haha - but I couldn't see a thing and got burned badly again, AND the camera has a little screen that was completely useless with the sun.

Either way, horses half way through, and near the end. It looks like there's horse crap EVERYWHERE but it's just the dead grass... trust me it's not THAT bad hahah!

Spektrum DX3-E

RC Qualifier
    Wow, I really like how that video shows the range of the transmitter/receiver. When you zoom out it is like OMG look how far away the merv is!!!

RC Qualifier
    such a great threath Krall

always nice to see your vids and work in progress things

YOU ROCK
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Champion
    haha dwmoss yeah it's pretty good - that's the Spektrum DX3E - but the TQi that came with my Summit is WAY better! So is the HO TQ 2.4ghz I have.

Thanks again Mossie, you've got to be the most positive person on this forum, always have good things to say, thank you very much! =)

RC Racer
    hahaha great video Krall. Be honest would you cry if the horse trampled your merv? The radio distance is impressive, but Im sure with that much land that you really dont have any kind of interference. Most people use dogs and other horse to bring in cattle and horses, not you lol you just sit on the porch and enjoy our hobby haha jk. Good video and good times!

RC Champion
    Krall, after seeing this thread back on top reminds me that you need to give the merv some more love and spend more time here! You had me soo close to buying a new ESC(brushless hobbies or MMP) so i could finally try out a sensored motor. Then you got the summit and disappeared and i gave up on the idea haha. What is the summit looking like? Have hopped it up much??

RC Champion
    Bajaboy yeah, only have two horses and all they need to hear is "DINNER" it's funny. As for the property, that's right - very little interference around here, it's great!

korn Hahah I remember you posting when I got the new Summit I haven't hopped anything up on the Summit yet! I've made a 10-channel remote and working on the FPV portion of the Summit right now. It doesn't NEED hopups, it's great the way it is! Though I broke a differential servo yesterday by being an idiot.

Seeing these videos made me realize I wanted to play around with the merv some more as well, but I'm too excited working on all this FPV stuff! I fixed up the rear end of the merv last night though (toe link screw has been completely stripped for the past couple months, I finally just glued it in and said the heck with it haha) and drove the heck out of the car with the speed hawgs on, it was great doing 30mph drifts around my driveway.

RC Competitor
    Very nice setup!!

RC Racer
    Nice setup! Could you provide me some feedback on the Motor and esc setup? Is it the team orion sensored 5.5 Vortex pro? If yes how good is it? I am thinking of getting a new one with the mmp.
    Summit. MM 2200kv
    E-Revo VXL CVD's

RC Champion
    I mention in the first post that it's the 9.5t

Either way, it's awesome. To be honest though, for performance I prefer the Velineon 3500 - it's SILENT and never gets hot. TThe Team Orion is a SOLID motor, and far better in basically every way AND it's sensored. The only reason I got it instead of keeping the 3500 was the sensored operation, and with the MMP its hybrid mode is a perfect match to the VST Pro.

I certainly recommend it, and based on extensive research I had done at the time, it is by far the best motor for my setup.

*cheers =)

RC Racer
    Thanks! Hows the tranny doing? I also might go with the 7.5
    Last edited by summitracer; 05-15-2012 at 01:29 AM.
    Summit. MM 2200kv
    E-Revo VXL CVD's

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Try pointing the wheelie bar straight down with the speed hawgs and get it up around 60mph and nail the throttle see what happens. Last time I did that at 60 and nailed it tires broke loose and grabbed traction sending me right into the curb BAM! Let me know what yours does thanks
    Last edited by 50togo; 05-15-2012 at 02:07 AM.

RC Champion
    Drive shafts, tranny everything is running strong still. I have punch control set to 100% though so I never actually JOLT the system. Brakes are set to 40% and that's still too much with the speedhawgs on good pavement. The diffs are clicking, but that's because I've PACKED them with lithium grease, so they're actually "slipping" not damaged.

50togo, I don't wanna run mine in to a curb, so I won't be giving an update on how that goes :P

RC Racer
    How are your temps when bashing or racing? Whats your gearing? 30/50?
    Summit. MM 2200kv
    E-Revo VXL CVD's

RC Qualifier
    can you tell me what the bar going between your shocks are for? the one that you made a custome plate for.
    and can you tell me more about that flipper bar? great idea, i'd love to make one.. what channel do you have it running on, and, what control on your remote does it use, and did you hook it up to a second servo?

RC Qualifier
    EPIC Setup man, I've been in the filed the last two weeks and this was the first thread I hoped into.. Love the work, and like Korn I can't wait to start working on my setup again..
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ha! Didn't mean see if you can crash! Would like to know if those speed hawgs hook up for you

RC Qualifier
    50 got a fetish for crash and jumps AHAHAHAHAHA

MASTER MASTER

two thumbs up and i am starting to like 50 mucho
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Qualifier
    looking at the vids KRALL

SUPERB -> the place you live in is so so insane

space , nice and very large

and so peacefull and quit

respect for that and a little jelous because i live in a big city with not much nature and space
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Qualifier
    i still wanna know what that red link is for that goes between your shocks and to the body mount is for..

RC Qualifier
    it's a chassis brace, pushrod edition
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Qualifier
    o ok cool.....