RC Enthusiast

Smile 1/16 Grave Digger tire foam

Hello everyone,

Last Friday I bought my son (four years old) a 1/16 scale Grave Digger. He absolutely loves it and played with it all day yesterday.

One thing I'm not crazy about is the lack of foam in the tires. The tires are really soft and I think the wheels will be easily damaged when he runs over something hard and pointy such as the curb drain in front of my house (I've actually damaged wheels like this myself). Does anyone know what part number foam will fit these mini Monster Jam replica rims and tires?

For now I have him running on the rims/tires for my MERV. This is working fine for him driving it on the street in front of our house but when we hit the dirt I want to run the wheels that came on it. Plus, besides being too short, the MERV wheels don't look right with the Digger body.

Thanks for the help!
    Thanks,

T-MaxxTom

RC Qualifier
    I noticed the same thing with the one I'm giving my son.(have not given it to him yet) Are your tires glued to the rims? I really hope someone else will chime in here as we cant be the only ones.

RC Qualifier
    T-MaxxTom

I decided to go ahead a call Traxxas and ask. They stated that that is the way they are supposed to be. No foams and not glued to the rim.

I guess now the question is what foams do we need to fit these tires?

By the way I'm not trying to hijack your post just thought I would share my information.

Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    toyota2--thanks for calling Traxxas. None of my tires are glued to the rims. I wonder when they said this is the way its supposed to be if they were referring to how these models are shipped or if there is an engineering reason for this. IMO, the lack of foam and glued tires was done to control costs.

I've broken wheels with soft tires and no foam in the past. Because of my sons age and since he's just beginning to drive RC cars, I know he's going to drive it into things.

Hopefully, someone will clue us in as to which tire foams will fit these tires to protect the wheels from damage and make the handling better.
    Thanks,

T-MaxxTom

RC Qualifier
    I know traxxas used to ship certain1/10 rwd nitro and Electrics without foams and Unglued.

I don't have a 1/16 but maybe get like a 1/10 stampede 2.8 foam and cut to size. The stampede foam isn't round, but has a cut so you can put it around. J done this to my 2.2 and worked well.

Sent from my LG-P509
    People Eating Tasty Animals

RC Qualifier
    T-MaxxTom, The guy I spoke with did not say why they came like this, though he did say he was surprised as well. I have to think that it was done to cut costs but I believe there was already enough done to this little truck to cut costs the way it is. I personally would have liked to seen the wheels come with some sort of foam but it is what it is now.

Chubaka, Thanks for your input, I will have to check on that but in the mean time I am just going to turn my son loose on it the way it is and go from there. He is 5 so I can already see the carnage coming. Oh well it just means up grade time.

RC Qualifier
    The good part of no foams is you can go mudding and not worry about mold and unbalanced wheels.

Sent from my LG-P509
    People Eating Tasty Animals

on a monster truck.... you don't need foams or glued tires.... look at old school rc trucks...... my old tamiya blackfoot didn't have foams in it, nor were the tires glued.... it just wasn't something that was done back in the 80s.....

RC Champion
    For a couple dollars you can go to Walmart and buy a sheet of 2" foam in the sewing section. You can get it in 12"x12" size sheets or larger if you like. I make all my own foams for my crawler trucks, I'm sure the same principal could be used. I use scissors to cut strips of foam long enough to fill the entire caracas of the tire. The more foam you jam in there the stiffer it will be. It's cheap and easy enough to give it a try... I would glue the tires after I found the right amount of foam that made the tire the way I liked it. Without glue, the foam might push the tire away from the wheels bead, leaving a gap.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Enthusiast
    madkawi650: Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to try that out or possibly what chubaka said. I was at my LHS and was looking at the foams for a Slash since they have the inners and outers at two different diameters like the 1/16 GD wheels.

toyota2: I agree that Traxxas cut enough costs. I think they could have easily added foams and glued the tires.

jimbo74: My first RC was a Tamiya Monster Beetle in 1986 (and I still have it). I didn't have foams or glue the tires at first. Then I had problems with the rear wheels spinning inside the tires (with the stock Mabuchi 540 no less) so my LHS showed me how to glue them. They were still bouncy though. Later, after I destroyed both front wheels because the tires defelected too much, an boat enthusiast that frequented the same LHS showed me how to make tire foams out of foam used to line the inside of fuel cells for cars (he also had an NHRA drag car). In reality the foam was too stiff but worked a lot better than none at all. I've used foam on just about everything ever since.

For this car I was hoping there was an off-the-shelf solution to save time. However, it looks like I'm going to have to go the custom route.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Tom
    Thanks,

T-MaxxTom

RC poster
    So what's the verdict with running foam in the tires? Better or worse? Did you change shock oil and or springs after filling tires with foam?

Thanks in advance

RC Qualifier
    I'd like to know how you went ?

RC Qualifier
    I got my son the green bumpers and grave digger body and wheels for his summit. I'm not very impressed with the wheels and think i'm going to see if he will let me put the stock summit wheels back on. These things are so unbalanced and make the thingdrive horribly.