RC poster

Question New 1/16 Summit VXL Owner. What Upgrades do I need?

Hi everyone. Have already had the full sized Summit, scored a 1/16 that was box damaged & cheap. Are wanting to know what's needed to make it bulletproof? Are currently selling a 1/16 E-Revo VXL on Trade Me for $1 reserve if anyone is interested. That thing hauls, was completely stock & never missed a beat. I've been reading that the mini Summit is known to have issues. Would be great to make it as reliable as my Axial crawler.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 06-12-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Language

RC Racer
    change the drive shafts from you merve to the summit and shim your diffs and you should be fine.
    Blue 1/16 summit vxl crawler

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cjroy1998 View Post
    change the drive shafts from you merve to the summit and shim your diffs and you should be fine.
    OK, excuse my ignorance. What does that exactly mean? As I wouldn't want to make any changes, until I knew it was being done right. So far all I've done is swap the wheels, to Integy alloy wheels. When you say shim, do you mean add or remove? I suppose there will be something on You Tube about this. Which was how I learnt how to correctly & safely use a balance board. I purchased one of those Traxxas 2-3S lipo chargers yesterday. But probably should have checked it out better, as I use T u r n i g y batteries. I hope the charger is not only for Traxxas branded lipos & will charge my 2S 2200mah batteries as well. It will work out much easier if it does. As Traxxas batteries are hideously overpriced, compared to what I've been using.

RC Racer
    the stock summit drive shafts break easily but the merve shafts are stronger.i think i got set for $8.(they are also know as axle shafts) when i say shim i mean to put a shim or two in the diff heres the link explaining how to do it.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-your-bulkhead

and all lipo charging leads are the same as far as i know

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cjroy1998 View Post
    the stock summit drive shafts break easily but the merve shafts are stronger.i think i got set for $8.(they are also know as axle shafts) when i say shim i mean to put a shim or two in the diff heres the link explaining how to do it.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-your-bulkhead

and all lipo charging leads are the same as far as i know
    Yeah I'm reading through that now & thought I'd better check here too. I'll do a search on ebay for the Merve shafts & diff shims. I'm really surprised to hear the 1/16 E-Revo needs these things too. I've never had a problem with mine & did nothing to it. I only ever run the two lipos for longer run times, so maybe that helped? If I want to give something a hammering there is an 8ight e 2.0 & 22T. That appear to be engineered to cope with plenty of abuse. One thing I do wonder about what's the little Summit like for crawling. The big Summit was OK in slow gear & better with decent tires. But it definitely didn't come close to my modified AX10, not that I expected it to. I converted the large Summit with a Monster brushless kit & got massive run times. I wish I hadn't sold it, but someone offered me too much to say no. I instantly regretted parting with it once it was gone. When I get time I've got a buggy champ to build & waterproof Traxxas running gear to fit. Although I need to find out how to make a brushed motor completely waterproof, if possible. As I like to have a play in the rain, might be cheaper/easier to stick with the Traxxas models though. Anyway thank you for the input, its really helpful & there is plenty of video on YouTube. This is a great website, apart from how it censors other brand names. That's a bit over the top.

RC poster
    Have just looked on eBay & can't fin Merve shafts or diff shims. If someone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I've looked on Amain & nothing. I admit to being a bit confused now.
    Last edited by madparaplegic; 06-08-2013 at 11:03 PM.

RC Racer
    the shims i bought were team associated part No.21141
    and i just had to search for a set of 1 16 e-revo(merve) shafts on ebay.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by madparaplegic View Post
    . Would be great to make it as reliable as my Axial crawler.
    I'm not sure that's possible. Maybe with aluminum shock mounts and bulkheads, but I've only seen that theorized as a permanent fix for the differentials. The only 'crawler' thing on the Summit is that it is running practically full droop. You can reverse the transmission to change the ratio higher numerically. Aside from the rear arms, body mounts, axles, tires, and spur/pinion -- it's like your MERV.
    Last edited by jrmbtr; 06-09-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    / 16

RC poster
    Thanks for the info. Does the Integy type 2 universal drive shaft kit do the job & do I need to replace the main shafts? I'm still non the wiser as to what a merve shaft is though. Shame about the crawler option being a no go, I will give it a try on the easier parts of the rock garden. Then send in the AX10 to winch it back out if/when it gets stuck.
    Last edited by madparaplegic; 06-10-2013 at 03:57 PM.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the info, have got what's needed coming my way now. Shame about the crawler option being a no go, I will give it a try on the easier parts of the rock garden. Then send in the AX10 to winch it back out if/when it gets stuck.
    Good plan!
    / 16

RC poster
    lol I've just edited that post, still wondering what a Merve shaft might be?

RC Qualifier
    The merv shaft is the axle shafts from a Mini Electric Revo Vxl. A 1/16 e/revo, just what you are trying to sell. The summit shafts are crazy priced and break very easy. The fronts hold up pretty good, but the rears get shredded pretty quick on 2s lipo.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC poster
    That makes sense now, thanks for the clarification.

RC poster
    I was outbid on eBay & have bid again on the new listing of the same thing. Am I correct in thinking if I get Integy universal drive shafts, it'll also fix the problem? I ask because I'm rather fond of Integy products & if I'm outbid again. I wouldn't mind getting a number of Integy upgrades for mine.

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't buy Integy parts for my Mom's RC. Some of their tools are good. I am running HR shafts without any problems. I recommend the t-bone 3/4 piece bumper skid kit, they will save money and heart ache.
    Last edited by Little Smokey; 06-10-2013 at 11:50 PM.
    Mini Revo VXL 7107
    E-Maxx 3903 - He Lives!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Smokey View Post
    I wouldn't buy Integy parts for my Mom's RC. Some of their tools are good. I am running HR shafts without any problems. I recommend the t-bone 3/4 piece bumper skid kit, they will save money and heart ache.
    Why, what's wrong with Integy parts & what is HR? Also what exactly is the t-bone 3/4 bumper skid kit? I see that it's popular to abbreviate things here & it makes it impossible to find each thing mentioned. All I've got coming so far are the shim kit & are bidding on the drive shafts. I'm picking that the Integy steel drive shafts would cope well on my Summit. Or is there something I don't know about them?

RC poster
    I wish someone would leave my profile alone, as I doubt that my signature disappeared by itself. Lets see how long this one lasts...
    8 e 2.0, 22T & XXXS. 1/16 Summit VXL. Vaterra T H.

RC poster
    I wish someone would leave my profile alone, as I doubt that my signature disappeared by itself. Lets see how long this one lasts...
    Probably did it to myself, the lag from this site is terrible. High speed connection, yeah right!
    8 e 2.0, 22T & XXXS. 1/16 Summit VXL. Vaterra T H.

RC Qualifier
    Merv shafts you can do when you break them, I have two merv and two original summit shafts still going strong so no need to run out and change them for no reason.

As for the shimming, thats definately a good idea, but I'd probably wait until the diff starts clicking and shim the next one. You might get 6 months or more out of the factory diff if you dont hold the throttle when crashing, landing etc. My diffs didn't start clicking till my son started backflipping off the trees and if he didn't do that, I don't think I would have changed a diff yet.