RC Racer

Buying a used KB Rally - any tips?

I knew I wanted a 1/16 for a while, but had a hard time choosing which one. The E-Revo is just badass , the KB Rally looks great but is limited to street, the Mustang 302 and Kyle Busch truck are fun/unique, the Summit would be the most capable offroader, and the 1/16 Slash would be the best middle-ground.

Most of the MERVs on craigslist are asking $300, but I found a KB rally for $180 that I can play with and convert to offroad as I please.

Is there anything I should look for when examining the truck? Also, as someone who wants to experiment with all applications of the 1/16 platform, is the KB Rally a good starting point or should I spring for an ERevo?
    Rusty, Pede, Bandit, E-MAXX 3906, MERV

RC Qualifier
    read my posts in this thread
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...o-vs-rally-vxl
    When you get it i would tear it down and change all the fluids (diffs, shocks) check all the bearings, and make sure the diffs dont need to be shimmed.
    I think its a nice starting point. I thing its like a jack of all trades, master of none
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Champion
    diffs also the ball joints don't last long. even a few days running will loosen them up some.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Racer
    Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I'll be able to check out the car tonight. The whole "jack of all trades, master of none" thing actually appeals to me, since most other RC platforms already do this (Rustler/Slash/Stampede/Bandit anyone?) only with the smaller scale it's easier and cheaper to do. Plus, most other platforms aren't nearly as versatile.

Here's my rationale for getting the KB rally. I figure eventually I will convert this thing into a rally, a revo, and who knows what else. The whole appeal of onroad RC for me is scale realism/looks, and I like the Ken Block rally car's styling. I would want my Revo to have a custom look, since I really don't like the ProGraphx tribal thing. So, if I'm doing a conversion, it makes more sense for me to get a stock KB rally and get a Revo body and wheels that I like.

Lol, I'm guessing Turok is from the games? I was just talking about how much I miss Turok 2 before posting this.

you can usually find a roller on ebay for $100

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nixzero View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I'll be able to check out the car tonight. The whole "jack of all trades, master of none" thing actually appeals to me, since most other RC platforms already do this (Rustler/Slash/Stampede/Bandit anyone?) only with the smaller scale it's easier and cheaper to do. Plus, most other platforms aren't nearly as versatile.

Here's my rationale for getting the KB rally. I figure eventually I will convert this thing into a rally, a revo, and who knows what else. The whole appeal of onroad RC for me is scale realism/looks, and I like the Ken Block rally car's styling. I would want my Revo to have a custom look, since I really don't like the ProGraphx tribal thing. So, if I'm doing a conversion, it makes more sense for me to get a stock KB rally and get a Revo body and wheels that I like.

Lol, I'm guessing Turok is from the games? I was just talking about how much I miss Turok 2 before posting this.

yes it is from the game. most people think it is my real name. i even had it as my ebay emial. and someone sent me a cheque written out to turok. lol back to the game when it first came out on the N64 i played it for 5 days/nights with only a hours sleep.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Racer
    Yeah, I was looking at rollers, but this was a pretty good deal, especially since I was looking to upgrade to a 2.4GHz radio. I got the VXL rally for $170 with 2 sets of tires, extra parts, and lots of decent upgrades. The radio and electronics alone were worth over $70, so the upgrades and spare parts are just a bonus.

The N64 and Turok were awesome. Turok was the first game I bought after Mario 64. They need to bring the Turok games back!