RC Racer

Question esc and motor warm

mr rustler vxl motor gets hot when i run it and if i touch it then i get burned. i need to know if cutting holes in the body works. if it does then were do i need to ut them? i already cut a hole in the roof scoop

RC Champion
    Don't cut holes in your body...that won't help much.
    If you want to lower heat of your motor and esc, gear it lower. (bigger spur, smaller pinion, or both)
    Make sure there's no binding in your driveline either that can cause heat.

RC Champion
    Get the esc fan that is a must. Also do what is stated above. Also what battery are you running. I'm guessing 3s? Also invest in a alum tranny case it will help a ton as well. Oh and please get a temp gun so we know how hot your getting. Fingers burn at 130 but that's not actually to hot.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Champion
    Cutting holes in my body worked for me, but it wasn't in a stock body. I'm not sure what body it is, but the back is similar to the JConcepts Raptor body. I cut the panel over the ESC out, as well as a slot in the front, and covered them both with screen. It helped my temps a lot. My battery was running close to 220!!! Now its down around 180, which is still too hot... but a big improvement.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Champion
    Air flow helps tons. But your battery shouldn't be getting that hot.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Racer X View Post
    Air flow helps tons. But your battery shouldn't be getting that hot.
    If you are talking to me... I know... there is something wrong.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Enthusiast
    Are you running your car in the grass, pavement, or dirt? That would help everyone to figure out why you might be getting hott. Also, I have my stock body cut to help get the hot air out and get some fresh air through. I haven't seen much of a difference but I'm not going for high speed runs so aerodynamics is not a big thing for me.
    If your running on grass with stock gearing, then you should gear lower and maybe try some tires made for grass. Pavement, you might be looking at a different problem altogether.
    Batteries are another concern, I've been using 3s so thats all I know.. but alot of other people use 2s and don't have problems.

RC Racer
    im running in pavement with the stock gearing and dirt hawgs

RC Enthusiast
    The dirt hawgs I found are size 2.2", while the rustler VXL is 2.8". Try switching your tires back to stock and running them to see if it still gets hot. (run it the same on pavement as if you had the dirt hawgs). You still neeed a temp. gun like other people have asked, and then get us an actual temp.

If it does help (you would need a temp. gun) to really know, then re-gear your car a little lower for the dirt hawgs.