Hybrid View

RC Champion

Question Soldering Connectors HELP

I need to know how much wattage I need to solder the traxxas connector back onto the ESC, because it was torn off during a flip without the shell on..

also what else do I need to buy with the iron to do it right?

and where can I find all this at a low price I did not expect this to happen

I was hoping I could find everything I need at home depot, home hardware, canadian tire, or wal mart or sears, something like that.. does anyone know where I can find a killer deal ?
    6.25% /

you got a radio shack? radio shack has some good solder guns and you will need electrical solder thats what i use "Lead Free" for solder. you will need something atleast 45w or higher the better. a solder station would be good. i think radio shack has them around 50 and then solder i mentioned for around 3-5 or so. sears has them also not sure about instore but those would be your best bets, i checked walmart online and in store and they have nothing that would work, i got a 30w iron and it takes forever to do, i spend 1hr soldering 2 connectors LONG i know.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    lol thanks mike

no radio shack anymore, i found a 45 watt $10 iron at sears so that's perfect, but the wire I guess I'll have to hope it's there because I can't find anything around $5.. te cheapest I see is at home hardware and that's $20 but there's got to be smaller packages around..

so lead free, electrical wire solder ehh.. I'll call sears tomorrow and see if they have these things
    6.25% /

home depot should have that solder here's a pic of what i'm talking about. i even picked mine up at walmart sometimes they carry the lead free.

is this the solder gun your looking at?

RC Champion
    yeah that looks exactly like it, it's a 45 watt mastercraft soldering iron for about $10

should be decent enough right?
    Last edited by GULLY; 03-18-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    6.25% /

yeah should be, i have a 30w and does the job but it only costed me $4 LOL at harbor freight.

RC Champion
    oh nice lol

I have to wait until tomorrow now because I waited too long to go, and I'm not sure if I'll be getting that one in the picture anymore because they don't sell that apparently..

but I called the source and they have one for $15, forgot to ask what kind it is but it's a 45 watt so I'll get that tomorrow..

then I have to look around for solder wire
    6.25% /

call your local walmart, most of the time they have it instock the one i mentioned, if you cant get the lead free one then just wask your hands or wear gloves to solder and hold the solder also, thats what i had to do before when i had solder that had lean in it and a vented area also like a garage with a door open helps too. good luck.

I have to make a parallel connector so i think i'll be picking up that solder gun at sears online or instock i seen it but they wanted 20 in store atleast the one i went to, they over price it since its a hometown, private or own franchise store you know.

RC Champion
    yeah I know what you mean, good thing I called the source at the local mall here.. $13.99 or something for 45 watt isn't bad, they were asking for $25 or $20 everywhere else for no higher than 25 watts

gunna be rocking this joke of a connection until tomorrow afternoon

6.25% /