RC Enthusiast

Extra Capacitors on Evx-2 esc?

Has anyone tried putting or adding more capacitors to there evx-2, on the battery leads? Something similar to what castle creations does with there cap-pack for all there esc's. From what i hear, this mod is supposed to make your esc run cooler, take some load off the esc by reducing or completely removing the ripple voltage going into the esc and have more punch, especially off the bottom. And i guess there are more benefits to it as well but i am not sure what those are.

example of evx-2 w/ extra/added caps:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPZxq1qCSGg

castle cap-pack:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...-cap-pack.html

Any info would greatly be appreciated!
    Look MA! I Haz TRAXXAZ!

RC Enthusiast
    Really? No one? I kinda would like some tips from anyone who would know something about this mod please. I just ordered my motors and i need to try this once i get them running. Thanks!
    Look MA! I Haz TRAXXAZ!

RC Qualifier
    I don't think you'll get a lot of love here trying to mod the EVX2. Not that you can't, but asking about something which will void your warranty and probably isn't worth the packaging in which the caps are shipped just won't get a lot of hits.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I think it can be done in such a way as to not void the warranty.

It might be worth a shot... I just may give this a go when my other Summit projects have been completed.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    I agree with Jimmie, so long as i don't open the case of the esc then i should be fine. but i could wrong on that. All you have to do is cut some of the insulation on the wires and solder the caps on as close to the esc as possible. I just ordered the dual 14.4v dewalt motors from kershaw designs and thought that this mod might help my esc run these motors. my caps should arrive tomorrow and my motors and other parts should be here by the end of the week or first of next week. so once i get a chance to test this i will deffinatley let you know how it goes Jimmie. Plus my warranty is gone anyways cause i opened the case. I think that the stock caps are too weak anyways, after i opened the case i saw them right away. they are 35v 630u/f caps. i dont know what the esr rating or impendance is but the caps i ordered are 25v'ers, the lowest esr i could find and 14-16ohms for impendance.
    Look MA! I Haz TRAXXAZ!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Would it hurt anything to tap into the line at the battery connector??
    That way it is very easy to "undo" back to stock configuration.

Traxxas warranty does not care what you run for a connector, as long as it is TRX when they get it back.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    i've seen a D.I.Y. cap pack on the evx2 can't remember the specs but its been in use for some time with no problems. I'm sure it was on a dewalt e~revo.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

RC Enthusiast
    Depends on how long the leads are but yes it could. It would lessen the effect of the caps due to more wire for power to travel, which adds inductance increasing ripple voltage. Go to the castle link i have posted in my first post and read what castle says. it will explain it better. trax de max, watch the vid i have linked on my first post, it may seem familiar.
    Look MA! I Haz TRAXXAZ!

RC Champion
    Yes thats the vid.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    Yes thats the vid.
    Good, well you have a good idea as to what im gonna do to my esc then. except mine will be more ideal and with multiple caps, and i also am gonna try to use different u/f rated caps to help with throttle response even further, tho we will have to see if it is goning to workout or not like i want it to. stay tuned guys and i will update you once i test this mod out for the first time and after multiple battery packs.
    Look MA! I Haz TRAXXAZ!

RC Champion
    cool, but isn't the idea of the caps is for use with Low C rated lipos.

RC Enthusiast
    That's what it has been used on more commonly but electricity is electricity, lipo or not, low or high C rated batteries. so there is ripple voltage going into the controller and it is really hard on esc's no matter what voltage or amps it puts a lot of load on an esc, especially if your battery leads are long because long leads add more ripple voltage to the factor as well and nimh's voltage drop under load quite a lot, and they don't supply the amps the lipo's do, even low c rated lipo's, so there will be voltage spikes at different loads on the truck depending on the terrain. and the lower the c rating on the battery the higher the ripple current you will experience, nimh or lipo, which is even harder on the esc. So, that is where caps come in is to smoothen out the current going into the esc, thus reducing the load lowering temps. also if you unplug the bec wire going into the receiver it will allow max amps from esc into the motor, tho you have to run a receiver pack if you do.
    Look MA! I Haz TRAXXAZ!

RC Enthusiast
    I got all my stuff to run my revo on the dual 14.4v dewalt motors! i have run it a few times now and it did run pretty warm without caps but not unreasonably hot tho. but i added some 25v 2700u/f low esr caps, one to each lead of my esc and not a very noticeable power increase but my heatsink temps dropped 10 degrees. pretty good for a first test. i have some 25v 4700u/f low esr caps as well to try, they are twice the size! let you know how it goes!
    Look MA! I Haz TRAXXAZ!