How long has your engine lasted before needing a rebuild or repaired?

I've been looking into getting a Slayer, but i want to know how long a ntiro enigne with last if it's well mantained or not. I want to know if you burned out a engine after 1 or 2 gallons, or 10 plus+ gallons without trouble and or what you've done to make it last so long. also what you did that made it die early in it's life. What is the best way to keep a nitro enigne running well and working for as long as it will go before needing a new piston/sleeve/rod etc. Post your stories good or bad about the TRX 1.5 2.5 and 3.3 engines and how to make it last a long time without problems. Thanks!

Maintenance. Driving hard and putting away wet will shorten its life as will an improper tune. Some have had break-downs at the first tank, others not till after 6+ gallons. Newbie's first engines usually last a few gallons--about 3-5--but again it all depends on how you tune, how you drive (WOT all the time or not) and how you maintain.
    After running, best to clean it up, put a little after-run lube or WD-40 (as mentioned in the manual) into the engine and drop the piston to bottom dead center when not in use.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    #1. Always perform the after run procedure after EVERY run. As defined by your owners manual, run the engine dry, clean the exterior of the engine, remove the glow plug and air filter, and pour a few drops of *after run oil* into both the glow plug socket and the carb. *WD 40 can be used instead, I personally use after run oil because WD-40 has caused some O-ring damage before in a engine of mine.

#2. After about every two or so gallons it is best to tear the engine down completely. Why? The air filter doesn't catch 100% of the dust that the air contains, and the fuel, no matter how hard you try will always have a tiny amount of invisible grit in it.
    Over time, that small amount of dirt becomes more and more concentrated, causing accelerated bearing and piston/sleeve wear. Completely dissemble the engine and flush it out with WD-40 or a silicone spray. You'll be shocked to find the amount of grit that has made itself at home in your engine block. This time consuming step will increase your engine's life dramatically.

#2. Driving habits. You can't run a nitro powered model as you could an electric vehicle. Not that electric power is better than nitro, it's just that the two power plants require different running methods.
    Don't run at any set RPM over a long period of time. Try to vary your engine's speeds, don't get me wrong, you can rip up and down the street for hours with no problem. Just kinda blip around the throttle.
    Always give the engine time to warm up before running it all-out. Just let it idle for a bit after the first start up.

My first engine ticked on for about 9.5 gallons, as long as you take care of them they'll last a while.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Champion
    +3 Tunning and after run care is the key. If you run a real car WOT all the time its not gonna last very long either. The most critical part of the life span is the break in. Prior to ever starting the engine spray some WD40 in to the glow plug hole. Turn engine over with plug out. It helps alot. Follow BIP to the letter.
    In most cases the first engine to a newbie is a learning curve. Dont be too disapointed if you smoke it. Just learn from your mistakes. Remember, being a little rich on your tune is better than being too lean.
    Very nice write up Chevy. I like it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    Very nice write up Chevy. I like it.
    Thanks, but you just said everything I did in a paragraph, shows my pitiful writing skills lol.

1st engine lasted around 4 gallons (learning to tune and about nitros)
    Rebuilt it, went 12 gallons before the front bearing started spewing fuel. (Now experienced with tuning)
    2nd engine 7 gallons
    Rebuilt it, on gallon 4 going strong still.
    3rd engine, 6 gallons
    Rebuilt it, on gallon1 and still waking up, oh polished and ported it this time and added ceramic bearings.. It's just waking up and it's beastly....

Engine life depends on good break in, good tuning practices, and knowing when to stop cause something isn't quite right.... And of coarse proper maintenance....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

Ok, when the engine reaches it "end" what do you need to replace in order to get it running like new again? New piston and sleeve? W/O new bearings? New gaskets? Any help would be nice thanks!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    It depends on the amount of wear, most of the time you can just replace the piston and sleeve and you'll be good.

Usually you get 1 rebuild out of an engine just doing the piston and sleeve (unless rebuilding an engine with internal damage.....

After 1 rebuild I usually replace the bearings and the conrod as well as the piston and sleeve. This is not much different than buying a whole new motor. I enjoy the mechanics of it though...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    I enjoy the mechanics of it though...
    I enjoy is too

RC Champion
    10 gallon on one of the first available 3.3 engines from 06'. Still runs today.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    My first few engines were the old trx pro .15 in a '00 t-maxx. the 4th one lasted about 3 gallons, I had no clue what I was doing back then. Fast forward to 2005, my first revo 2.5 engine got about 3-4 gallons. Since then I've had about 20 different engines, both traxxas and other brands.....none have had less than 5 gallons, except a 3.3 my friend was using 2 years ago.
    I have about 6 on my first sirio s27, and it still runs strong. The other 6 engines are pretty much new.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Racer
    had a smaxx 2.5 bout 2 gallons through it from memory then sat in my shed for around 4 years, every so often putting WD40 through the engine/carb.

charged up some batteries got some fuel, and the thing ran fine with a tune.. got better after each tank too.

i did my break in and after run procedure 99% to the book.
    OkGo Performance, RC Division.

RC Racer
    I've had a Jato 3.3 that has over 10 gallons of Byrons Gen 2 blasted through it. I was just out running it tonight and still can hit 62 mph on a 54 spur and 20 clutch bell. the 3.3 is a very durable engine. As long as you don't try 33%

RC Champion
    Nothing wrong with 33% nitro, as long as the person using it knows how to tune.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Qualifier
    I'm on gallon number 2 i am a newbie and i'm sure i made alot of mistakes with the first gallon. I tried to follow the BIP as best as i could and i try to stay on top of changing and cleaning the filters. cleaning the truck after running it and after run oil so i hope it lasts a good long time but its all a learning expeirence guess if it blows up the kids will get less inheritence lol

RC Enthusiast
    ive had my trx .15 since 07 and it runs like the day i got it

RC poster
    First engine- 3 gallons, ran it a lil too lean

Second engine- so far ive only put 1/2 a gallon in it

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Ok, when the engine reaches it "end" what do you need to replace in order to get it running like new again? New piston and sleeve? W/O new bearings? New gaskets? Any help would be nice thanks!

You can find a new engine on ebay for around $100.00 a new piston and sleeve is around $50.00 con rod around $20.00 and new bearings set around $20.00 so if you need all 3 I would say just go for a new engine.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Racer
    Newbie here, what does "bip" mean? And rtr

New to the hobbie, bought a tmaxx revo 3.3 and a jato for 500$$ think i got a good deal

Quote Originally Posted by Inflic501 View Post
    Newbie here, what does "bip" mean? And rtr

New to the hobbie, bought a tmaxx revo 3.3 and a jato for 500$$ think i got a good deal

BIP = break in procedure
    RTR= ready to run
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran