RC poster

XL-5 ESC Burst Into Flames!!

I think I made a noob mistake, I got a Traxxas Part # 2872 25C 11.4 5000 battery. When I attemtped to use it in my Slash 2wd with the titan 550 and the XL-5, it caught on fire ruining my ESC.

I'm pretty sure after reading some more into it, the lipos I have are to big.

Any comments or suggestions on a good Lipo for the Slash 2wd with the above esc and motor..
    Last edited by JBHANKINS; 03-16-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Dang! did you lose the whole car in the fire? or did you just lose the esc/or what was around it. Did you know it was on fire when it went past you with smoke porring out of it or when it stopped moving? LOL

Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Notice how the voltage on all of those batts is under 10 volts... Yes, you put in too powerful a battery (11.1V)
    Two Rusty VXLs, M2Ks 18/83 - Tag! You're it!

RC poster
    Hahaha, thanks for the help guys. I only lost my ESC, I'm overseas and was in my tent testing it out before I went out on the track. I tell you, I have never moved so fast in my life!!!
    Last edited by Double G; 03-17-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: language

RC poster
    What if I got the Velineon motor and ESC, could that motor handle the 11.4 Volts?

RC Qualifier
    yes it could handle it. and with that battery and the VXL set-up you will be flying.
    Im young. And im Learning.

RC Champion
    thats what i have right now is the 3s 11.4v withthe vxl and velineon setup and it is just retarded fast. its to fast for the track unless maybe your in training mode or just very easy on the throttle. my setup can handle the battery but you have to keep track of motor and esc temperature cause it will still get hot. 2s lipo i think is best.