RC Competitor

problem with transmitter firmware 2.0.44

Just bough a new E-revo, and when I use it with the 2 channel TQI radio it came with everything works fine.
    I also have a 3ch TQI and when I bound the two together, it downloaded a firmware update and now it doesn't work, that is, there is no communication between the iphone and remote, and the remote won't bind to the receiver.

I can't use my 2ch TQI because all it wants is for the same firmware update to be downloaded.
    Anyone had this problem?

RC Competitor
    Well I've continued to play around with this little issue and here's my findings for today:

Test results:

TQ link works with TQ link receiver: check / works (duh).
    TQ link works with TQI receiver and all channels working: check
    TQI (firmware 2.0.34) (with or without iphone) works with TQI receiver: check
    TQI (firmware 2.0.34) (with or without iphone) works with TQ link receiver: check
    TQI (firmware 2.0.44) (no iphone) works with TQ link receiver: check

TQI (firmware 2.0.44) (with iphone) works with TQ link receiver: DOES NOT WORK
    (note: without the iphone connected the system will bind, but when the phone is added the bind is lost)

TQI (firmware 2.0.44) (no iphone) works with TQI receiver: DOES NOT BIND
    TQI (firmware 2.0.44) (with iphone) works with TQI receiver: DOES NOT BIND

Findings:

So it looks like the latest firmware update has changed my TQI remote to a normal link remote, that is it works with a link receiver, but as soon as a phone is added it dies. The TQI will also not bind with a TQI receiver.

The other apparent thing is the remote with the 2.0.44 firmware WILL NOT communicate with the iphone. The phone wont charge or recognize a connection, so I can't change the firmware or update it.

Ruling out variables:

My tests were all done with both an iphone 4, and an iphone 3g. Same results every time.
    Results were also tested by swapping the docking stations on the two TQI remotes I have, to rule out a dodgy plug, everything happened the same as before.

I also removed the link app from the phones, turned them off / on, reinstalled app, and that all made no difference either.

TRAXXAS: any explination?
    Last edited by Harley au; 03-16-2012 at 10:54 PM.

RC Competitor
    Here's some more random notes:
    The dodgy remote knows a phone is connected: because the green LED flashes to say the multifunction knob is out of position, this happens for ten seconds or so, then the light goes solid green. if the phone is activated, it flashes again.

When the phone is connected to the transmitter, it just comes up with "this accessory is not optimized for iphone".

The most recent change is the phone will now charge off the remote if left plugged in for a few minutes, however the phone and remote are still not communicating.

10 seconds after that last line was typed I've noticed my remote is now completely dead. Even with new batteries and no phone: there is no sign of life.

This is really quite annoying I must say. I've spent a small fortune upgrading half a dozen Traxxas vehicles I have to all be TQI ready, and now my remotes are dropping like flies!

(sorry for the triple post but I can't edit the previous posts like I normally would).
    Last edited by Harley au; 03-16-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Have you contacted Traxxas??
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    I did but they couldn't help with parts, so I just bought another one.

On the newest story, thanks to the latest update (again, this thing seems to do it on a daily basis) the TQI radio no longer works with my TQ Link receivers, sort of.
    Steering works fine but none of them have throttle.
    Throttle only works on the cars with TQI receiver.

RC Competitor
    Well I've solved this mystery for now. Whats happening is the TQI radio binds to the Link receiver, but the servo channels are stuck in a state that doesn't respond to the trigger (or in a rare occasion, the steering). The trims still operate like normal, but the servo / esc only works with an iphone connected, and only when the reset servo function has been done. The function will now work, however if the phone is disconnected or the transmitter turned off, the memory is lost.

I get a different result on link receiver #2. That has no throttle or throttle trim response, but the servos work. I know its not the receiver because a normal link remote works fine.
    Last edited by Harley au; 03-22-2012 at 04:34 AM.

RC Champion
    I started toying with this last night, trying to add a TQI receiver to my REVO 3.3 and using my TQi radio to control both my Emaxx and revo nitro.

I get steering but no throttle. The opti drive LED glows red telling me there is no signal. I dont know if the TQI will work with my emaxx, I suppose I need to check that tonight. I hope I didnt booger that up.

I want to make my 2 channel a 3 channel TQI but cant seem to get the program to work correctly...

...hmmmm

RC Competitor
    Program bug I'm thinking. Odd that you have no throttle from TQI TX to 2.4 RX either.
    Did this happen after the firmware update?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley au View Post
    Here's some more random notes:
    The dodgy remote knows a phone is connected: because the green LED flashes to say the multifunction knob is out of position, this happens for ten seconds or so, then the light goes solid green. if the phone is activated, it flashes again.

When the phone is connected to the transmitter, it just comes up with "this accessory is not optimized for iphone".

The most recent change is the phone will now charge off the remote if left plugged in for a few minutes, however the phone and remote are still not communicating.

10 seconds after that last line was typed I've noticed my remote is now completely dead. Even with new batteries and no phone: there is no sign of life.

This is really quite annoying I must say. I've spent a small fortune upgrading half a dozen Traxxas vehicles I have to all be TQI ready, and now my remotes are dropping like flies!

(sorry for the triple post but I can't edit the previous posts like I normally would).
    I updated last night and my TQi stopped working also. Will not turn on at all.

RC Champion
    when I added my TQi to my Revo(tx/rx), I didnt get any throttle until I bypassed the opti drive and direct wired the throttle servo...started working at that point.

If I recall, when I linked the TQi tx to my 2.4 rx, I didnt have any throttle at all and when I hit the steering the receiver kept loosing bind to the tx.

I just put everything back to stock and the TQi is working fine on my BL Emaxx.....for now.

Looks like I may have to sell my 2 channel and get a 4 channel so I can bind everything I own to the 4 ch.

RC poster
    It seems there's alot of people having problems with there tqi after updating the firmware, I just bought a slash ultimate 4x4, should I stay away from this firmware update?

RC poster
    you have to update if you want to use your phone in th TQI, at least that was my case, i bought a TQI system off ebay and it works fine, even after the firmware update, you are sure you are only letting it update and nothing else, i know mine wasnt working when i was receiving text messages or what not during the update. Try updating over WiFi aswell, i read elsewhere if you are using your network, the in and out signal you get to your phone can mess with the app.

The problem i am having is i cant link another vehicle...i can bind with any of my other vehicles but when i try to link with another vehicle it goes right back to the factory linked car...please help

RC poster
    i would say best thing to try and solve the issue is reset everything and rebind your controller to the vehicle...To do so turn off all electronics, car and transmitter, while holding down the set button on the transmitter turn on the transmitter, and than go to your vehicle and while holding down the link button on the vehicle turn on the vehicle and within 10sec it should bind to each other.

RC Competitor
    I bought another remote (this is five I have now!) and did all the updates, then set it up with five vehicles. It all works but its time consuming. I found the receivers wouldn't necessarily update firmware the first time they were turned on, instead it might have been the second or third time after another car was linked.

All good so far, but as for the knackered remote and the faulty remote, I still can't fix them.

Still having lots of days where I can't help but think of this about the TQI:

RC Qualifier
    Any updates on the tqi with steering but no throttle? I got the same issue. Man, just want 1 tx for a few rx, but can't do that with this stupid tqi docking.

RC Qualifier
    don't feel bad, I just updated my receivers firmware and cannot get reverse to work now lol. The esc wont change profiles now either, esc is prolly fubar

RC Qualifier
    what is this firmware deal you guys talk about? Is this done through an I-phone or touch deal? I will be getting a tmaxx 4907 and I do not plan on using an iphone or ipod i dont even own one. How can I update the firmware that comes on the transmitter that comes with the tmaxx 3.3 4907 model?

RC Competitor
    Harley this made me laugh so hard. good one
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley au View Post
    I bought another remote (this is five I have now!) and did all the updates, then set it up with five vehicles. It all works but its time consuming. I found the receivers wouldn't necessarily update firmware the first time they were turned on, instead it might have been the second or third time after another car was linked.

All good so far, but as for the knackered remote and the faulty remote, I still can't fix them.

Still having lots of days where I can't help but think of this about the TQI: