Is the Traxxas slayer pro 4x4 worth the $450 dollars?

Hey, i'm new to the forms. I curretly have a brushed 2wd slash, and i want to get in to the nitro part of the hobby. The two cars i'm looking at are the HPI Savage X 4.6, and The Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4. I love the Hpi for how BIG it is with it's 4.6 block, but i really like the whole short course full body styling on the slayer. I will be driving mostly on pavment and maybe grass and sandy dirt. I won't do to much jumping with them, but i want somthing that won't break just in case. I've never tunned a nitro car because i'm new to rc's, but i want somthing that will be 'some what" easy to tune and mantain. I also want one that won't flip over easily when driven on pavment because i don't want to scratch the body shell. Also, do you guys know which one would last longer in terms of wear? Like pistons, clutch bells, drivshats, shocks, driveshafts, diffs, tires, bearrings, Etc. I aslo want the car to be queit because i REALLY don't want to tick off my neghibors because my go cart i sold to get my slash REALLY ticked them off with the noise. That may sound like a lot of wants and needs, but spending $450+ on a rc car is alot to me. I just want one that will last a long time and be easy to maintan/bash/repair. I have 2 months+ before i've saved up enough money to buy a rc car, so have plenty of time to choose. PS Is the supension on the slayer really that much better than the standerd rc car setup?
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 03-15-2012 at 05:07 PM.

RC Racer
    Okay, I have personal experience with the slayer pro, and I have done a lot of bashing with my uncle, who has a savage x.

To be quite honest each truck has its own pros and cons. The savage x is built like a tank! the roll cage protection around the engine, the parallel and perpendicular chassis rails keep the chassis square and strong. But from what I see they are not super fast, are very loud with the plastic pipe. it sounds neat because it keeps the engine sounding raw, but very loud. It is pretty good at jumping, however we have lots of trouble with the slipper plate melting, (it is a known problem, robinson racing has the solution) this requires removal of the engine. The roto start is awkward to get to, as access to it is tricky.

The slayer pro, is not an easy truck to drive, they do flip quite easily ( this can be fixed some what by suspension tuning, sway bars or converting it to a revo with wider arms, toe links, pushrods, driveshafts which is what i did) They are really fast. Quite fun to drive in dirt, and running with the body keeps it looking awesome. Even though it is a 3.3 this thing hauls but! The eZ start is kind of a pain, the OWB slips quite often, leading to a somewhat time consuming cleaning. And it is very difficult to get the glow plug wire on to the plug. I eventually ran without the glow plug wire, just using an ignitor, I eventually changed to a big block which is absolutely amazing! but that is for down the road. I personally don't think the slayer pro is as tough as the savagex, but it is a solid truck that many people use, look to the Revo forums a lot because they are a more popular option and they share the same chassis and most other parts, the slayer is just not as wide.

I would say at the end of the day it is up to you, decide whether big air and big wheels is needed or a smaller more finese kinda truck is what you want
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

I agree with what has been mentioned above.
    However, you have a desire for something quiet so you will not tick off your neighbors. May as well stay electric as nitro--any nitro--is loud much like a leaf blower, weed whacker, lawn mower, et al.
    If you are really wanting nitro, then you best find a place to run it so the neighbors do not get mad.
    The Super Derecho

Thanks guys. That really helps me choose which one i want to get... THNX!

RC Champion
    If you can control the Slayer pro you can drive anything. It's a really great truck, but as said above it is a little more difficult to drive than say your average T-maxx. It experiences more undercarriage wear due to the fact that its ground clearance is low.
    But it's a good truck for on the street or dirt, I do advise you on purchasing the sway bar kit though.
    Matthew 7:7

Thanks for the advise. Any one else got an opionin?

RC poster
    I've had my slayer for only a few weeks. I freaking love this thing! But, like everyone else says, it rolls over so easy. I don't have the sway bars yet, so I don't know how much they help. Either way it will still roll over easier than say a slash.
    But if you don't plan on jumping or off roading much, the slayer would be a waist of money.

RC Champion
    I respectfully disagree with you Vince77, if you get the sway bars, lower the suspension, and get some street tires you'll have a pretty capable on-road vehicle. It has 4wd, and if you lowered the center of gravity I think it would prove itself on the pavement. The sway bars are said to help at least 15% with rollovers.

Not trying to be disagreeable man, no hard feelings?

RC poster
    Yeah, Didn't really think about that. Lowered, sways, stiffer springs. It would probably do very well for on-road use.

I can't wait till I get my sway bars on, it needs it soooo bad.

RC Champion
    Yeah I'm gonna have to pick up a set of those too man, I can't stand this thing flipping like it is

i think the slayer pro is a beast. and i will say that i have beat the ever living heck out of mine as well. everything from accidentally making it float down stream in a ditch, winter driving it and getting underside of body packed full of snow, 20 foot tall jumps, and multiple high speed rolls and crashes that i seen less severe rip other rc's apart without thinking twice. the only think i ever broke was an antenna tube, and a axle carrier when i slid sideways at about 40mph into a parking curb lol. i dont have sway bars yet but throw some 50w oil in the shocks and find a good preload for them and they handle about 30% better with that alone.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

Ok, What's the best mods for the slayer? (That don't include cutting or heavely changing every thing)
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

sway bars, heavier shock oil, maybe heavier springs, tires, and if you wanted to you could do the center diff kit with the rear brake kit as well.

but i would start with the oil first, then sway bars second. i recomend 50w. what i use in mine and thats all i have done and it helped the handling greatly. alot of people say sway bars help alot to so thats why i put those second.
    Drag It!

Thanks fofr the help! Any one else got any thing to say on the matter?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Love my Slayer Pro, love the fact that I can switch it to a Revo in a handful of minutes. However, I have always wanted a Savage. Just because they are a beast. So I say get both! You are going to need a good one running while the other is broken down. That would be my excuse to justify buying both.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

I have both a revo and slayer I love both But I really love to run my slayer.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC poster
    I am fresh back into the hobby and recently picked up a slyer pro. I found a group of guys that run sunday nights in a parking lot so it take me very long to start investing in some on road performance mods. I picked up some street tires and flipped instantly. After changing the shock oil to 50w, it got a lot better. Next on the list are the sway bars and progressive 3 rockers. Im still trying to find a place to run off road. Living in the city kinda sucks.

parks in the city? bmx trails?
    Drag It!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    parks in the city? bmx trails?
    I am very new to the area and havent found all spots yet. Still looking though

RC Enthusiast
    I have had my Slayer now for about 6 onths and absolutely love it. It is challenging to handle, especially if you are coming from nitro truggys or monster trucks. After you learn to drive it, it is just a blast. Not a waste of money at all, on the contrarty, it is one of the most fun nitro trucks I have owned, and I have owned several.

RC Qualifier
    The slayer pro, is not an easy truck to drive, they do flip quite easily ( this can be fixed some what by suspension tuning, sway bars or converting it to a revo with wider arms, toe links, pushrods, driveshafts which is what i did) They are really fast. Quite fun to drive in dirt, and running with the body keeps it looking awesome. Even though it is a 3.3 this thing hauls but! The eZ start is kind of a pain, the OWB slips quite often, leading to a somewhat time consuming cleaning. And it is very difficult to get the glow plug wire on to the plug. I eventually ran without the glow plug wire, just using an ignitor, I eventually changed to a big block which is absolutely amazing!
    You just talked me out of one. I came to this forum to see how a slayer with an engine swap would be, you answered my question before I could even start a thread.