RC Qualifier

Monster truck guy to keep or sell Slash 4x4

So in the past 3 months I somehow got sucked into this hobby pretty bad but I got into it know nothing other than the cars of today are far superior to the radio shack cars I had as a kid.

Anyway so I was originally looking for a monster truck but I wanted brushless so I couldn't jusity the cost of an emaxx brushless. So after speaking to the local hobby shop guy for a 3 hours I somehow ended up with a Slash 4x4.

I first used it on the street and a nearby parking lot but soon took it to a local racetrack. In the meanwhile I acquired two summits and an emaxx. Anyway after taking it to the local track I think I decided that I prob won't get into racing but could go every so often.

So basically what I'm getting at is I'm def more of monster truck guy and I'm not sure if I should keep the Slash. It's a great truck in certain terrains and with lipos is significantly faster than my brushless emaxx (Novak hv system). Maybe I'll take it to the track every do often, maybe not.

I just wanted to get the opinion of other monster truck guys.

Thanks

RC Champion
    sell the e-maxx

the summit will do everything the e-maxx will do only better and much more stable. Keep the slash in case the racing bug bites (the summit is a better off roader than the slash but the slash is DESIGNED for racing )
    So keep the two extreme trucks (slash and summit) and sell that third leg (e-maxx). - If you gear it low you can transfer the novak system in your summit and sell the emaxx as "stock" with a 775 titan motor upgrade.

And yea - sell the second summit also (unless you have a son) . As far as racing the summit - in its best form (soft/tall suspension, big loamy tires, heavy, relatively slow) it will be a poor racer. It can be done, ala e-revo, but in its best crawling/off road set up it makes for a poor speedster.
    Last edited by noir 522; 03-15-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    So you have 2 summits? Why 2 summits? I say sell the one summit and the slash 4X4, buy a single slash 2X4 and a nice lcg setup for racing. Overall you'll have a ton of $$ in your pocket and you won't have doubles of trucks that you can only run one at a time anyway.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    The 2 summits are so that I can let someone borrow one when I have friends or family over. I also plan on going dewalt with one and I have a Novak HV system that's probably going into the other. That way the dewalt one will remain waterproof and the Novak one will be quicker but not waterproof.

Regarding selling one (summit) and getting a dedicated truck to race, I think I decided that racing isnt my thing. You have to be very meticulous and constantly tweek your truck and I just don't think I can get into it. Not 100% sure though hence my apprehension to selling the slash I already own.

Regarding selling the emaxx, I really like ripping it in a field at 40 mph and I don't really think the summit will be as good at that speed or if it might be don't think I really want to set it up that way. The Novak setup that I have for the summit has a higher turn motor so I think it'll stay around the 30 mph top speed.

I appreciate all the comments

RC Racer
    keep them all i have a summit, slash and emaxx and use them all
    Your signature is not appropriate Please change it

RC Champion
    I think you are like me - One truck can do all of that (speed, bashing, off road - the summit), but like me you purchased too many and cant bring yourself to sell any. And just like me you have those same built in excuses - I cant sell the e-maxx cuz I need monster truck speed, I cant sell summit #1 cuz it crawls so well, I cant sell summit #2 cuz its set up as a good versatile trail truck, I cant sell the e-revo because its just too fast. I cant sell the mini summit cuz its just fun to zip around with, I cant sell the wraith cuz it crawls so well.

But again, just like you I did sell my 2wd slash.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Yeah very true, I actually did have a summit mini that I sold when I picked up the Emaxx. I know I have a few trucks but I try to not get to the point that I'll end up on the show "Hoarders". I also have no issue selling something when I determine I know longer need/want it.

I might start bashing around with the slash and see how I like it for that but that means I'll never be able to properly dial it in to race at a track.

RC Champion
    jang from Ultimate RC (URC) did an off road version of the slash which seems to work pretty well (see the link for details) - might be of interest - basically the slash and the stampede are the same truck - the slash is just lowered and has a longer base.

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106506
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    I was going to say what noir had already pointed out, but emphasize putting big tires on the slash. I have the Summit now, but plan on getting a 4x4 slash for a high speed, monster truck, basher.

RC Competitor
    I have a summit, ERBE, 4x4 slash, 2x4 slash, ken block, and 1/16 summit. I really like all of them but I'm a monster truck guy. I plan on doing a monster truck conversion to my 4x4 slash. I really enjoy each car for what it is. Of course I've done little tweaks to all of them but I dont try and make them something they aren't. My advice. Keep them all.

RC Qualifier
    A monster truck conversion might be something cool to try and the fact is my slash is the easiest to whip around.

Ill hold off on selling the Slash for now

RC Qualifier
    I just picked up a slash 4x4 ultimate with the Tqi remote. Im strictly going to use it for those days I can go to the track. For everything else I can use my summit, or my mini summit that I also just picked up

RC Competitor
    Good info in this thread. I find that after work, the kids want to go outside and play in the cul-de-sac with the Summit. This thing is gettin' pretty beat up with me hoppin' curbs and flipping it on the street (not that I'm trying to, my RC driving skills are severly lacking) so I think I may pick up something else to beat severely on the asphalt/front yards, and save my Summit for the backyard (woods/grass) runs. I've been kind of torn between a Slash, the ERBE, and E-Maxx. I need a substantial amount of clearance for the rougher transitions between the street/yards (no sidewalks here, just a ramped up asphalt curb), just not sure how the Slash would hold up with its lower stance. I'll have to look up what's involved in raising the Slash, I like ideas mentioned above. Whatever vehicle I end up with will more than likely never see a track as I don't believe there are any near me.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    I'd definitely get some bigger tires for the slash and try it as a monster truck. It'll be like a stampede with a longer wheelbase which will make it less prone to wheelies.

I have a stampede and it's tons of fun every time I run it. Lots of people upgrade their stampedes wheels/tires so you can probably find a deal on a used stock set to see what it's like.

RC Qualifier
    I still have really decided what I'm doing. I also started thinking about selling my merv. The small size is great because I can bring it basically anywhere but I haven't really used it in a month. Decisions, decisions

RC Competitor
    That is tough, it's hard to sell things that are paid off, but if you don't use it, might as well get rid of it.

I ended up ordering a black Rustler VXL. Should be here later this week.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    I did an MT convert on my Slash and was not impressed. It has no where near the articulation as my Summit. For crawling, deep woods action and rugged terrain,...my vote is for Summit. I changed my Slash back to a track basher.

RC Qualifier
    I had lifted the slash quite a bit to see if the increased ground clearance was of benefit to me but that caused the truck to slip over far to easily.

Now I'm trying the suspension on its highest setting but I removed all the clips from shocks ( unsure of what they are called but they are what used to precompress the springs).

That being said I did recieve an offer of $325 but turned it down.