Thread: Please help me!

RC Racer

Please help me!

Ok so I and turning 16 in one week. I worked all summer and saved up my own money for my first car. I really like 4x4s so I bought a 1998 jeep grand cherokee Laredo tsi. It was all stock when I got it. Since then I have put a 2 inch lift, 31 inch mud terrains, and tinted the windows. The only problem is that I was talking to a neighbor and he has a 1979 for f250 with a an almost new built 351m 5.8 motor. The truck has a 6 inch lift and 35s with nice rims. It also has a manual 4 speed, nice exhaust, and newer paint. Also 4.10 gears. The truck it's perfect and I love it. He said he would give me one year to save up for it, because he wants 6500 and my car is only worth 3000.by April or may I will have the money. Want do you guys think I should do.

RC Qualifier
    I love the 79 Ford but 6500 is a little expensive. I just sold one of my 79 project trucks for 1000. It had a 351M Stage 2 motor, 4 barrel carb, lifted 3" with 35" tires on 12" wide aluminum rims... basically everything the truck your looking at has except the nice paint job. My suggestion to you would be to find a "project truck" and drive the jeep while you build a beast.
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    What does it have for axles?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    The price is 6000 now. Also has 12,000 miles. Dana 60s

Around here, the axles alone are worth about $1,400.00
    Do you have any pictures?

RC Racer
    I wouldnt give him anywhere near that kinda cash... Its 33 years old... Hes makin you pay for the parts he put in it, i.e. motor, axles, paint.. and it doesnt work that way!! Its still just a 79 ford truck... Try not to let the wow factor sway you... If you can save that money, do so, but find a nicer/newer truck! If you want the 79 i wouldnt pay more then 2000 bucks for it. I blue booked a 92 f250(lowest year itd go) selected every option and came up with $1800 thats its worth. You never, ever pay for the mods/paint the other person did. I had a race quad, over 11,000 bucks into think i sold it for that??? Nope got 3,300, cuz it was still just an 07 450R...

RC Qualifier
    Jem450r.....Wow man you sold your trx450 for 3,300$ with mods, I just bought one for 3,000$ stock,, well actually it has a hmf exhaust and a k&n airfilter no lid and jetted professionally,And a kit start kit, the electric starter clutch went bad so kick ids what it is it is.

My neighbor has a 1972 f350 that has been totally rebuilt and is super clean and hes asking 18.000$ that seems really expspensive, But its a sweet looking truck no lift kit though.
    Last edited by TMAXX HAWK; 10-04-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Stupid 50 character Limit!!!!!

Street value is a lot higher than $2,000 on a 79 F250 that is not rusted out and still functional. The guy could part the thing out and get $2,000 EASY... probably closer to $3,500+. I buy these trucks all the time to part them out... I have had over 50 of them go thru me in the past 2 years. Even rusted out ones that do not run sell for $8-900. The parts are worth some big bucks. The 4 speed alone is worth two $100 bills... depending on the transfer case, that could be another pair of $100 bills.

I was thinking the value would be closer to $5,000... show him that much cash and I bet he would bite...

RC Racer
    Man id hate to buy cars/trucks whereever you guys are from... We got big truck like that ALL over the place around here, and NEVER sell for that much.

RC Racer
    On second thought where you guys from? Ill go buy one today and head over and sell it... My experiance around my parts, youll always get way more parting it out then selling as a whole... You cant look at part prices and determine the value. I bought a completly tricked out CJ-7( im a jeep nut) with v8, 5 spd, lifted, 33s in really good shape for 1,800...

Prices to vary... quite a bit... from location to location.

I am from Michigan.

RC Racer
    I'm an hour south of stl in mo. I'll offer him 5 grand cash and see what he says.

RC Champion
    sounds like you already have a nice ride....why do you want something that you cant put more than 2 girls (or guys) inside with you....when its raining and cold as heck....Just sayin', kills the "rollin' deep" dream.

Just sayin', I think you have a better "Whip". ENVY is one of the 7 deadly sins, dont go for it just because it looks cool. At 16, I bet its hard to find gas money, let alone repair money on a 33yr old vehicle. Taking into consideration, all the upgrades, when one of the FANCY parts decides not to work anymore, whats it going to cost to replace it?

Again, Just sayin'....

Red has a point!

Be sure to bring cash... offering it and showing it are two very different things.

RC Racer
    I've decided I am going to keep the jeep. It's 4x4, 2.5 lift, bfg a/t 31s, tinted windows and nice stereo. Thinks for the help guys