Hybrid View

RC Racer

Mechanical brakes wont work on electric conversion revo! Experts please tell me why!

i have converted from 3.3 nitro to electric using the tekno revo conversion kit. i want mechanical brakes front and rear for more control under braking. no matter what i do i cannot get them to work.
    i want to start off by saying when i did the electric conversion that i hooked up the motor wires to the esc in the same configuration that they are on the motor. when throttle was applied the truck went backwards. so i reversed the black and red wires at the esc and it went the correct direction.
    now for mechanical brakes i have a Y connector coming off channel 2 on my reciever for the brake servo. the servo spins the wrong direction to apply brake. i tried reversing the directing of the servo and reprogramming the esc but if i reverse the direction of the servo then it wont let me reprogram the esc correctly. to program the castle esc's you have to pull the throttle 100% and hold it while turning on the esc, then push trigger forward for full brake, then relax to neutral. if i reverse the direction of the servo then it will only let me program it if i push the trigger forward first and then pull the trigger second and then relax to neutral. when i did that the motor spun only 50% in forward and 100% in reverse which is the opposite of how i have the esc configured through castlelink.
    so basically if i configure everything so that the servo works right then the esc thinks its going in reverse and only gives the motor 50% power going forward and 100% power in reverse. if i get the motor configured right so that it gives 100% power going forward and only 50% power in reverse then the servo spins the wrong direction.
    DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO SET THIS UP CORRECTLY SO THAT THE SERVO SPINS THE RIGHT DIRECTION FOR MECHANICAL BRAKES AND FOR THE ESC TO BE PROGRAMMED CORRECTLY SO THAT THE MOTOR WILL SPIN THE RIGHT DIRECTION WITH THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF POWER???

You might want to post on the e-revo side they would have more knowlage about it. The electric uses the motor as a brake and the nitro transmission has a one way bearing in it to allow the revo to coast when you let off the trrottle.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Enthusiast
    You want to hook up the ESC to the computer and check throttle input reverse box let me go and look.BASIC TAB MOTOR DIRECTION will be where you should look

RC Champion
    Bro I used the mech brakes for a while on my conversion, bottom line is they don't compare to the motor brakes, with the tranny locked I had to turn the braking way down or I'd be doing front flips, like 10 of them, lol may I ask your reasoning behind wanting to use the mech brake? Just wondering if you were thinking the same way I was. Just for the record my conversion Revo is one of the baddest trucks I got, MMM on 6s is total insanity, steel everything, thats the truck I tore up this winter up north with picked tires, I over picked the set with Kold Cutters and bashing in the parking lot, frozen ice covered with a little snow the truck was doing like 60 but with all that grip it tore the rear end right out of it, never seen nothing like it, straight line explotion it was awesome, may put the alloy rear bulkhead in that truck, I did the braces like I did in the Erevo but this was all from the bottom, Love the conversion, more than the Erevo.
    15 IS Enough, Time to thin down the fleet some.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Morancy View Post
    Bro I used the mech brakes for a while on my conversion, bottom line is they don't compare to the motor brakes, with the tranny locked I had to turn the braking way down or I'd be doing front flips, like 10 of them, lol may I ask your reasoning behind wanting to use the mech brake? Just wondering if you were thinking the same way I was. Just for the record my conversion Revo is one of the baddest trucks I got, MMM on 6s is total insanity, steel everything, thats the truck I tore up this winter up north with picked tires, I over picked the set with Kold Cutters and bashing in the parking lot, frozen ice covered with a little snow the truck was doing like 60 but with all that grip it tore the rear end right out of it, never seen nothing like it, straight line explotion it was awesome, may put the alloy rear bulkhead in that truck, I did the braces like I did in the Erevo but this was all from the bottom, Love the conversion, more than the Erevo.
    i want to use the mechanical brakes because i had to lock the transmission in second using the 3 screw method. since the transmission is locked in second, when moving forward all the force is applied to the steel pin on the second gear cog. under braking or in reverse the force is applied to the screws which are only threaded into a plastic cog. i think over time that the screws will eventually loosen up and come loose destroying the transmission. second reason is because even though i have a 4s 5300mah battery, the battery life sucks. it dies after like 15 minutes. every time the motor is used as the brake then that is drawing a lot of power, less than a servo would draw for braking. third reason is because i can set the brakes up so that the rear brake will act before the front causing oversteer while going into a turn under braking.

RC Qualifier
    It sounds like you need to turn the servo the other direction mechanically not electronically. If that makes any sense.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Racer
    think i should keep this thing a slayer or convert it to a revo?

I'm not too deep into electrics but all I know with my Boss is that forward is pulling the trigger back, braking is pushing the trigger forward and if I want to go in reverse I have to go to neutral/idle on the trigger then push forward again.
    You would need to contact Castle to see if there is a way to set up the ESC to have 100% forward and reverse; not to allow braking from the motor while the servos do the braking then release the servos when you want to go in reverse.
    I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other guys in the E-Revo forums that have gotten around this issue but for the time being you'll probably have to use the motor for braking.
    As for the Slayer/Revo, it is certainly up to you. I know some people that have converted and like the stability of a wider stance.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I've read somewhere here in the forums that you can use a y harness and have one lead from your receiver to your speed controller and the other side to your stock nitro BRAKE/THROTTLE servo.

Hope you get it running better.

O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Qualifier
    This is what I was thinking of

TRAXXAS PART #2046

Last edited by NITR0 newbie; 03-18-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Champion
    Bro I hear you and your reasons for wanting the brakes, we are in two different boats, I'm locked the same way as you but I have steel gears, I'm running 6s at 5600 so run time isn't an issue, so you still have a center diff in yours? Correct. Also heres the other thing, you must have used the castle programer to disable reverse right, cause to have mechanical brakes you have to give up reverse if I'm not mistaking or the setting that it won't go into reverse until it's stopped, gotta check out that setting so you can do both right, of course you need that splitter posted up. I just got the replacement esc for mine and had it out today, I love that truck. Good luck man. Hey what esc are you using? Did you get it right yet? I'll go down and check mine out and see what I did, cause I had it working that way, but it was a while ago and I don't remember, lol to many trucks to keep track of dude. There is a way to do it, let me know if you got it so I'm not wasting time on it ok. thanks man.
    Last edited by Al Morancy; 03-19-2012 at 07:38 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I had that problem b4. I was using spektrum servo with a hitec on the Y harness and the spektrum went the way I wanted it to and the hitec didn't. I had a friend of mine re-program the hitec to operate backwards. Then it worked like a charm. Hope this helps.

RC Racer
    had exatly the same issue on my ofna dm1 1/7 scale. so what i did the brakes actually work either way pull or push. so what you might want to do is remove the adjusable know and put a linkage collar on the other side so it can push the brake cam instead of pulling it. perhaps replace the spring with some strudy fuel line. hope this works. if not +1 on what retiredtech said i know different brands of servos are programmed with the direction different.

RC Champion
    You know that all our servos on the 2.4 radio can be reversed, you can do it with the radio, just got to follow the menu tree to get to servos, good practics trying to learn how to program, it's not hard just tricky catching the blinks right.

RC poster
    I just converted 3. Slayer and my mot my moto break is no is not working can so can somebody please help

RC Champion
    Mendez you have a one way bearing in the transmission the motor brake will not work because of that.. you either have to lockk in second or use mechanical brakes
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Champion
    to much to read here... but if your motor was going in the wrong direction switch the wires on the ESC was not the correct thing to do... you have to just reverse the direction on transmitter
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...