RC Competitor

New to the mini summit family, suggestions for upgrade.

Im new to the 1/16 summit vxl family and would like suggestions on upgrades and would like to know what parts everyone is using. I want to build it to bash hard and be able to walk away with no broken parts

RC Racer
    1/16 E-Revo A-Arm
    1/16 E-Revo axles
    Rustler VXL
    T-Maxx 3.3
    1/16 Summit VXL

RC Champion
    if you are gona be a hard basher. id buy alot of everything.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    1/16 E-Revo rockers as well as all MERV RPM arms.

The summit is not designed for heavy bashing. Its got straight rate suspension. So it doesnt get harder the more you compress it. This means when you land a big jump it will easily bottom out hard. Its the rockers that effect this and a set of MERV rockers will give you a progressive rate (gets stiffer the father you compress it). So when you jump it resists bottoming.

Im not the least bit convinced the summit drive shafts are weaker than the MERV versions. I think the biggest issue is the extreme angles the summit suspension can articulate to. The more extreme the angle the more likely the CV joints are to fail. With a set of MERV rockers and the MERV rear arms that are not the longer wheel base versions the stock driveshafts should hold up fine.

I would put a heat sink or fan on the motor for sure. Id look into some bearings for the rockers and steering and id look into a better servo. ******* 390 or Hitec 5085mg are good choices.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info. I do plan on getting the merv axles. I hear alot of good things about them in summits, plus if u do break a merv shaft its cheap to repair. I already have bearings for the steering on the way. With the steering i plan on using dual stock servos.

RC Competitor
    The kind of bashing im talking about is be able to crawl over rought terrain, go fast but not to fast, and only small jumps nothing big

RC Competitor
    I have went through 1 rear driveshaft (replaced with merv shaft),2 trans gear sets thats it.I mud bog mine though i run it on my track sometimes.I have had mine for 1yr.I got a buddy that broke driveshafts like crazy,but on a 3s which i don't recommend 2s is kool.He got the integy cvd's,and has broke one 5 mins of putting them on,last time just driving on grass.Not recommended either.The summit will over heat when trying to crawl slowly,would be good with a crawler system in it though
    Last edited by beatnrcs; 03-14-2012 at 09:24 PM.

RC Competitor
    All i have broken so far is a front driveshafe, also replaced it with a merv driveshafe and replaced the bushings in the steering with bearings. And now my servo is going out. Going to replace it with a Hitec HS85.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi

First post and a bit of a newb question could someone tell me the parts number for the MERV Axles.
    also what size BB do you need for MERV Rockers?

Thanks
    Last edited by TRX47; 03-22-2012 at 06:24 AM.
    "If in doubt flat out"

RC Competitor
    Rocker bearings TRA5124 4x7x2.5mm, MERV axles TRA7151

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Maxx
    "If in doubt flat out"

RC Competitor
    Anytime TRX47. Im new to the 1/16 scale too so i like to help where i can. Another bushing to replace with bearings would be in the servo saver/steering bellcrank (i could be wrong with the name). TRA5114 5x8x2.5mm

RC Enthusiast
    I will add them to my ever growing wants list.
    "If in doubt flat out"

RC Competitor
    Just a little update so far, well my servo is dead, the electronics in it fried (not suprised, was expecting it to happen). I installed the steel hollow balls and it got rid of some of the slop in the suspension, still need to get new steering knuckles to upgrade the stock ones. Also got the merv rear a arms to see if i like it better then the summit. So far i do but wont find out how it performs until i get the new servo.

How well will the traxxas driveshafts part number tra7151x the steel upgrades ones work with the LT rocker arms. I do plan to also get the P-2 rockers from the merv to try out.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-17-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    They pop out with the LT rockers... especially if you are still using stock Summit rear arms.
    There is a way to get them to stay in, but it requires adjustable rods and links.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    i do already have the merv rear a arms installed onto my mini summit. I didnt realize that the difference in wheelbac was so noticable compared to the mini summit rear a arms until i installed them. I like the merv rear a arms alot better cause there is less stress on the driveshafts then the summit. i know alot of people suggest using aluminum knuckles (not integy ones) for a good replacement. but how good is traxxas upgrade for the stock knuckles part number TRA7033X?

The "x"shafts may stay in place with Revo arms and LT rockers.

7033x only adds adjustability to the pillow ball tightness in the knuckle, they do not add any strength.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the info so far jimmie, you have helped me out so far with my build. For right now im just going to get the stock merv driveshafts to save a little on cash, but in time i will get the "X" shafts for my mini summit. i know they dont add any strength but how good r the 7033x. im kinda doing a stock modified verson and i wanted to see how far i can take the traxxas parts before they break and i upgrade to better stuff.

7033X will help remove slop out of the knuckles.
    But, I would go with aluminum instead of spending the coin on the 7033x.

Stock merv shafts is all I run... not a single issue!!

RC Competitor
    Sorry i dont have pics yet, lost camra till to day. Ill get pics up as soon as i can. Still need to shim the diffs but havent had a problem yet (knock on wood).

RC Competitor
    I have finally had a chance to test my summit. I got a stock servo while i wait for my 390 to come in. It also has the merv rear a arms and merv rocker arms. I love the suspension alot better for speed runs. But im starting to get the issue that everyone else is getting, Its sounding like i have the rear diff gears going out. Its only grinding when i take off hard. Looks like its time to buy a new rear gear and shims. Computer is acting funny, cant get any pics uploaded to it right now. as soon as i get them on the computer ill post them.

RC Qualifier
    the diff gears may not be gone yet my buddy merv was clicking bad and we just shimmed the diffs and no more problems and he is running 4s lipo. (2 2s in series) but i would do it soon.

RC Competitor
    Im only getting the clicking noise from the rear diff when im running 2 stock batteries in series, if i just run 1 stock battery it dosent click so ill try shimming it first to see if that stops the noise. When i lower the body so that it covers the battery doors do i have to mod the body or bumpers. Could i use the merv front body post or do i have the mod the summits body posts?

Does anyone know the part number for the ***** lipos that will fit my summit?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-06-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: post merge

2S: Z22002S20C
    3S: Z18003S20C
    Both are available at the USA warehouse for quicker shipping.

RC Competitor
    Well so far i have added red RPM a-arms all the way around, the merv wing and wing mount the traxxas ajustable pillow ball caps. 2 of my driveshafts have been switched over to merv axles due to breaking them. Both of my diffs are shot so i got new ones on the way with shims and i have the red RPM bumper on it. Got to talking to one of my friends that works with a water jet and he is going to take measurements and is going to try to cut me out an aluminum chassis.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx.15 View Post
    Well so far i have added red RPM a-arms all the way around, the merv wing and wing mount the traxxas ajustable pillow ball caps. 2 of my driveshafts have been switched over to merv axles due to breaking them. Both of my diffs are shot so i got new ones on the way with shims and i have the red RPM bumper on it. Got to talking to one of my friends that works with a water jet and he is going to take measurements and is going to try to cut me out an aluminum chassis.
    An aluminium chassis would be cool but it is un-needed extra weight, you would be better getting the T-bone racing skid set, they add alot of protection.

RC Competitor
    I know it adds weight but my friend said that he is always looking for new projects to cut out on his water jet at work, and you cant beat the price of $FREE.99 for an aluminum chassis. I would like to get the T-bone skid set but cash is a little tight right now.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas differential lockers.
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Competitor
    I have thought about getting the traxxas diff lockers, but right now im trying out playdough in the rear diff. Im liking the results so far. Still havent desided on what diff oil to use in the front.

RC Competitor
    Has anyone used the Pro-Line pair of Interco TSL SX Super Swamper 1.9" on the summit the rims will be Axial set of 1.9" 8 Hole Beadlock Wheels. Would be using them when i switch it to crawler mode.

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    Hey im new to this also. Whats the deal with the shims for the diffs??? I have the same noise on acceleration and its getting worse. pulled everything apart axles, diff, ect. nothing seems to be broke??? where do u get shims??? part #??? $$$???