RC Enthusiast

Back into the Hobby!

Hey all!

I’m sort of new to the hobby, sort of old…let me explain. My brother and I got our first RC car 10+ years ago now, a RTR RC10T3. We had some great fun with it over the years, but my brother (older) did the majority of the work on it. Still, with the closest track an hour and a half away, and with limited money, it mostly got limited usage off and on mostly during the summers.

Fast forward to present day, recently got a new job in Winston-Salem, NC, and after work one day, discovered not only an RC shop (King RC), but a very nice off-road RC course along with it, just a few minutes from where I work. Needless to say I pulled the old car out after several years of dormancy, dusted it off, and began driving it on occasion (though old tech, car troubles, and weather—not weatherproof tech) kept me from running more than once a week. Got a new battery for it (Venom 3600mAh 7.2V 6 cell) since the old ones couldn’t hold a charge for more than about 2 min.

As I said, I didn’t do a lot of work on it before, mostly my brother, but I began messing with things, taking things apart, putting them back together, and just having fun with it. A new (old) hobby was (re)born! Anyway, after seeing how outdated everything was I had 2 options, upgrade everything on the RC10T3 (brushless motor, ESC, etc), an old truck which can’t really match the big boys these days, or get a new one.

From the forums I’m in, you can guess, I got a new 2wd Slash VXL…had it just about a week now and love the thing. Whereas the T3 would break rather often…mostly due to the open wheels not liking objects too much, this thing has already been flipped, rolled, endoed, and crashed and never lost a beat. Now that the intro is over, I had a few questions and would like a few suggestions.

First, a guy I’ve seen at the track here a number of times (he races there every month and owns owns probably 5+ trucks) let me try one of his 2s Lipo batteries (a 5000mAh Dynamite SpeedPack), and I must say, I NEED a Lipo. Faster, more powerful, and longer lasting than the stock battery (which I was impressed enough with…but all I had to compare to was my RC10T3). It seemed like a great battery, and I believe he said new they were about $50. I’ve also read on here lots of people seem to like the SPC 5000mAh 2s Lip that is about $30. Is the SpeedPack worth the extra $20? Are there any other recommendations in that range for Lipo’s?

Obviously a new Lipo would require a new charger. Same guy is offering to sell me one of his chargers (Hyperion EOS 0606i) used for $75 since he is trying to upgrade his Lipos and will need a new charger, new they appear to be about $110. Good deal? Or are there options out there for a cheaper, but still perfectly good, charger? I’m trying not to go all-in all at once, so if I can get a slightly cheaper charger now that works just fine, I can always upgrade in the future.

Tires. The stock tires are showing me quickly they’re not the greatest, at least at the track and other conditions I run in. The track tends to have very loose dirt on top and is harder packed underneath, and I also run it in an area where I live that has very loose “topsoil.” I’m reading Proline Gladiators may be good for that? (I’m hoping to find some cheap used ones to test out first if possible)

Tech question. Tried running my Venom battery in the Slash, it ran about 30 seconds, ESC shut off. Turned it back on, ran 30 sec, shut off again. Took it home, tried one last time, same result. Put the battery in my T3…ran perfectly fine. Stock settings on the truck (I ran my stock battery afterwards without issue). Any ideas?

Cleaning. Some say just hose her off, some take the electronics out. I’m a bit weary (not sure I want to risk destroying the electronics so early), but taking them out every time could be a pain (especially the motor…having to remesh the gears right each time). Suggestions? Perhaps I could invest in a cheap air compressor to blow the car dry…if there is such a thing as a cheap one?

I’ve been watching lots of Youtube vids and how-to’s (Ultimate RC has a lot), and just browsing these and other forums, but wanted to get some suggestions from you guys. If you guys have any other comments/suggestions regarding maintenance or “essential” items to have, please share them.

RC Champion
    Welcome back into the hobby! I have rekindled an old hobby too and the options and performance available now in electric is amazingly fun
    I have usded Traxxas and SPC and a Venom LiPo with good results on all. You won't beat the one on one customer service with Spec Point Racing that offers the SPC batteries that is for sure, great people.
    It may be best to understand Lipo battery ratings as that may help you see which ones give you the most, discharge ratings and burst ratings will vary and some motors demand more from a battery to perforum up to their potentials. The 5000mah gives nice runtime and plenty of punch usually.
    Proline tires are another good choice, many compounds as well as tread design to accomodate driving demands and track conditions.
    Check your water sealing gaskets on Rx box before you wash to heavily, more a rinse and dry will work well but get as much dirt off as possible first.

Lots of great sharing of info comes through this forum, there is lots of experience being shared which will help you get back up to speed in hurry.
    Meanwhile start saving for goodies.......................there are plenty to offer!

RC Racer
    Welcome back. To awnser your cutting off on battery problem, did you have it in Lipo mode or the stock Nimh setting? Hope its a quick fix.

RC Enthusiast
    Had it in NiMH setting since that's what the stock battery is. I thought it might be overheating, but yesterday I ran that battery and then the guy let me use his Lipo which ran another 15 or so minutes without issue (and only a brief break to change settings in between). Could it be something to do with the fact that it's a 7.2v 6-cell?

RC Racer
    Welcome back. Maybe I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by coasterholic14 View Post
    Tech question. Tried running my Venom battery in the Slash, it ran about 30 seconds, ESC shut off. Turned it back on, ran 30 sec, shut off again. Took it home, tried one last time, same result. Put the battery in my T3…ran perfectly fine. Stock settings on the truck (I ran my stock battery afterwards without issue). Any ideas?
    Does your Venom have the uni-plug? My Slash would cut out occasionally and when I'd retrieve it my speed control was always off. What I found was that the Traxxas adapter wasn't making good contact with the uni-plug. I twisted the metal tabs slightly and then inserted the Traxxas adapter and never had a problem after. Might be worth a try.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
    Welcome back. Maybe I can help.

Does your Venom have the uni-plug? My Slash would cut out occasionally and when I'd retrieve it my speed control was always off. What I found was that the Traxxas adapter wasn't making good contact with the uni-plug. I twisted the metal tabs slightly and then inserted the Traxxas adapter and never had a problem after. Might be worth a try.
    Didn't check that. I changed out the adapter after charging and put the Traxxas adapter plug on, but it may very well be that it was somehow not connecting right and that might be the reason for the shutoff. I'm charging that battery tonight and I'll try it out when I go to the track again tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Welcome back to the hobby and the only forum that matters.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    Correction, it rained today so I'll have to try the battery thing tomorrow (plus I left the Traxxas adapter at home).

Any thoughts on buying that used Hyperion EOS 0606i Charger? I know it works, he was using it the other day, but I'm always a bit weary about buying used electronics. It could be great, last a long time, etc, in which case $75 is a great price...or it could just happen to die within a few charges and be a total waste. It seems like a pretty good charger though. He also said he'd probably be willing to throw in one of his Lipo's (Dynamite Speedpack 5000mAh) since he'll be buying new ones and won't need it anymore (note: I know it also works as he let me use it the other day as I mentioned). Just wanted to see if any of you had any thoughts on the charger itself or purchasing it.
    Last edited by coasterholic14; 03-15-2012 at 05:29 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Throwing another question out there quick as I get to know my truck. I noticed that when the truck is sitting, it has a certain natural sag from the wieght, but when you push the truck down and allow it to rebound, its new sag (or settling point) is lower down...doesn't rebound back as far. Is this the way it should be, or would it be better to try some stiffer or linear (rather than the stock progressive) springs, or perhaps a heaver wt oil?

RC Racer
    Well, all of the above. Stiffer springs will help push it back up to the set height you want (I assume your using spacers?), the thicker shock oil will dampen this distance the truck sags upon landing.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, I might look into some Losi springs (everyone seems to love those) and a few shock oil wts to play around with. Is it better to go with linear or progressive springs for the most part?

RC Enthusiast
    Went ahead and got that charger and lipo battery...hoping to test them out tomorrow since it's been raining all weekend.

Truck is only 2 weeks old and I've already got 3 shock rods that are slightly bent (but not very much), one which is noticeably bent, and probably one bad hit away from being junk. I'm trying to hold off dumping more money right now, as I've already been putting a fair bit of money into my (re)new(ed) hobby, so I'm gonna just run it until it breaks or becomes completely useless, then I'll probably get Big Bores to replace it. Even then I may stick an old T3 shock or something on there just for a bit.

Anyway, I'm already getting a nice list of stuff I want to get to upgrade my truck:
    - SPC 5000mAh 2s LiPo (heard great things about them and their customer service...currently have the stock NiMH and a used Speedpack LiPo)
    - Proline Calibers (front & rear or front only)
    - Proline Trenchers (rear only if not Calibers)
    - Traxxas Big Bore Shocks
    - Aluminum Shock Caps
    - Temperature Gage (gets hot here in the summer)
    - Assorted Losi (or equivalent) springs
    - Assorted Shock Oils (thinking maybe 40-50wt for the rear?)
    - additional body (mine's already starting to get torn up at the back...there's a nasty jump that keeps sending the trucks down on their back/lid)