RC Competitor

Castle Hydra 120A??

Has anyone installed a Castle Creations Hydra 120A on their Spartan?? I have one and am not sure what else needs to be installed with it, BEC for ex. Also any suggestions on a motor that is fast and will last? Thanks guys!

RC Qualifier
    Castle makes great equipment but the 120 amp ESC is probably a bit under rated for the Spartan if you plan to run 6S.

I make this statement not knowing what the amp rating is on the stock ESC, but based on the knowledge that many who have had issues with the stock ESC have upgraded to 180, 200, or 240 amp ESC's.

Some have even fried the 180 amp ESC's but have been pushing larger props and/or higher kv motors at the time. (i.e. pushing beyond stock)

If you decide to try the 120 amp I would recommend a lower kv motor 1500 - 1600kv, and run an external power supply to help reduce the load on the ESC.

hog

Note: Update

I just saw a post on another forum that says the owners manual confirms the Amp Rating on the New Castle ESC is the same as the amp Rating on the original Velineon ESC:

80 Amps continuous current, and 300 amps peak current.

hog
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-13-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    not enough esc with that one
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!