RC Racer

Cheapest way to get a slash build or buy?

I took my girlfriend out with me to drive my slash ans my nitro sport the other day and she really liked it and said she like to get a slash to brash with me. I have the original motor and esc from my slash that has like 3 runs on that I was going to put into a roller becasue the Velineon was too much for her. Every one I bid that seems decent always gets bid way high on ebay to the point were I think I would probably be cheaper just to buy a brand new one. I would also like to get one of the 2.4ghz remote controlls with it as well. I keep talking myself out of buying a brand new one because I think I will find a good deal on a roller, but so far I havent.
    2 Slash's, 1 Nitro Sport, 1 P2DE

RC Qualifier
    I bought my slash from tower for 195 shipped. That was the cheapest i have seen it. If i were to build another i would get a rolling chassis. If you like me you have extra pieces left that you already upgraded. So if you have the tires and motor, speed control and some sort of radio receiver. I would build. If you don't have all that sitting around you might want to buy. Even if you spend 100 bux on a roller you still ahead IMO.

RC Qualifier
    I just picked up a slash raptor <black chasis> roller brand new for 100 .. Not sure if I paid too much but it came with a servo . I threw my VXL in it bought some new tires and gears so now Im at 165 . If I didnt have the VXL or TRX link tx/rx for sure would of been cheaper to buy new .. Theres so many new slash rollers forsale on my local classifieds that one guy has 10 of them from regular grey to raptor black to LCG chasis. But now I need a body and thats another $40 atleast so past the $200 point . Prob better off new if you need everything . If you only need the truck would say buy used or find one .. somones got one they willing to let go of

RC Racer
    Yea thats what I am thinking cause the expensive spare parts I have are the motor and esc. I am debating on how huch I want to spend now. Get the basic one with the 27Mhz controller, get the nicer one with 2.4ghz controller, or one of the special edition ones like the kawasaki, or Robby Gordon one that I really want. I still have a bid on a roller on ebay but I have a feeling I will be outbid again. I did price up buying one of the brand new full rollers on ebay with body, wheels, and no electronics and it still came out more expensive to buy a roller. It seems like on some of them the seller has two accounts and if it doesnt go high enough they put a super high bid in at the last minute. I have seen two on ebay that I was the only bidder on and then the last two minutes someone comes in and runs the bid up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    For the most part, the rolling chassis is the cheapest part of the truck these days. If you still need to buy wheels/tires, body, radio, batteries etc your going to spend another $100 MINIMUM... probably more like $120.

If your plan is to build a custom truck with your own body, wheels etc etc, a roller is a good deal. If your trying to just build a useable truck... a roller on e-bay generally isnt the way to go. Buying a complete RTR truck is usually cheaper.

If you were to sell your current stock electronics for $35-40, put that money into a new 2.4 ghz slash or Raptor slash you'd come in somewhere around $175. That would be a good deal IMO>
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    That is what I would like to do. I want the 2.4ghz controller for my slash and I was going to put my old controller in the one that I am getting for my girlfriend. I am fine with the stock wheels and body, I am kind of a cheapskate so I'm looking for the cheapest route. Right now I am just looking for a brushed one for her and upgrading to the Velineon if she sticks with it and gets the hang of it.

RC Racer
    I just bought a new used one RTR with a brand new 2.4 ghz controller for $200 plus $20 to ship, do you guys think that was a good deal? It came with the original box and everything.

RC Racer
    It looked super clean in the pictures.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Really depends on condition. I think if you'd cruised the market place for a little bit you might have been able to do a bit better. It not a lot, especially of its super mint.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Yea I had a company on ebay price me out a complete roller with everything but the motor, esc and battery and they wanted $254 shipped. Granted everything was new but I could have got an RTR one for that price brand new.

RC Qualifier
    I want to build my next RC. It may not be any cheaper, but the experience would be fun. Just build one from the ground up putting everything exactly the way you want it the first time. For example, if you want RPM A-Arms why buy a Slash with the stock ones on it if you are just going to remove them and buy the upgrade anyway. In that respect it would almost have to be cheaper in the long run.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta