RC poster

Which Slash To Buy?

I'm looking to get into rc cars. Right now I'm just looking for something to mess around with. Which Slash would be best for someone that is looking to get his feet wet? I just want something to mess around with for the summer and see where it goes from there. I love to tinker around with things so I won"t mind doing upgrades in the future. Any advice would be greatly apprieciated.

RC Champion
    I'd go with a VXL. It needs less maintenance and is a better value than the xl-5. Also, you can put it into training mode to limit your speed when you are new to rc's. I think its model 5807.
    Land of the free?

RC Qualifier
    I agree with motorstuff. Go out and just buy the brushless VXL. It's the perfect buy for someone new.
    Youtube - TraxxasRCC
    VXLs: Sl4sh Sl2sh Rusty Merv

RC Racer
    I have the traxxas slash vxl 5807. I was new to RC when I bought it and was told from the hobby shop people to start there. Its plenty upgradeable as far as batteries, suspension, and just about anything else you can think about doing to it. I would suggest starting where I did. You will wreck it a couple times but lucky parts are cheap from the hobby shop.

RC Racer
    2wd vxl slash

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I agree the VXL is a better value, but if money is a problem go with the Raptor slash XL5. It will give you a great intro into the hobby for a good deal with great electronics and can be totally updated later on. The motor is really the weak point... but can be swapped for something more durable like an S-600 if you wanted to later on... or upgrade to VXL later on when you save up more money.

But, if you CAN swing the $$ for the VXL from the start, do it. Its well worth it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    I went Raptor and I can't get enough.
    Only been in the hobby about 2 months.
    My son got a Torment, and it's great and all, but no match for my Raptor.
    I'll go Brushless sooner or later, but right now we're having a great time with brushed.
    Brushless it's something to look forward to.
    You can't go wrong either way....IMO.

RC Enthusiast
    If money is a concern, go with a 2wd brushed Slash. Use the extra money to buy a S-600 motor (to replace the Titan when it goes bad), quick charger (lipo capable if possible) and a 5000 mah battery, it will be faster then you would imagine. When you want to upgrade get a Lipo battery. Keep your eye on the market place and CL and you should eventually stumble across and good deal on a brushless motor and ESC.

I know this is a Slash forum but I'd suggest buying a Stampede. I own a Slash and a couple Pede's and I go to the Pede more often because they are so much fun. The Slashes are fun too though... and so are the Rustlers... Just buy anything Traxxas and you can't go wrong.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...