Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Absolute Chick-a-Pede Build

Been planning doing a Pede for my lady for a while. Just finished the Rustler build so its time to get hers done. This will be the 3 or 4th build for me. 3rd full upgrade build, and 4th total since I have a completely stock pede. This one will make it 3 p2des. Been gathering parts, and after todays trip to the LHS, I have 95% of all upgrades goin in it. I have all the stock equivalents, but just need the upgrades goin in.

Here is the beginning of her Truck.

Parts cleaned, and goin in.

Already at a jump start by the time I remembered to snap some pics.

Parts brought in today.

Also not shown in pics is many more parts sitting in parts bins.

I have a RPM front tower mounted, but I dont think I am gonna stay with it. I was thinkn of STRC front tower also, but could bend on a front impact (which will come im sure lol ) Im thinkn of getting just a Front protrac tower, since I like the look of a thicker front shock tower. That seems to be the best way to go.

Also had the rear strc alum skid plate in parts bin. I am still debating on the front skit plate. Since its silver it wont look tore up when scratched up. Want to make sure its really strong for her, yet weight is evened out.

As seen in pic, Shes picked her color. Still have yet to recieve the body, her Rims. Gonna mount some chrome desperados on Talons. Not the best tires, but I got a full set for 20 bucks, and she will be stickin with Brushed system, at least for the first long while. Gonna be using a 2s battery, since the ESC has LVC.

Plans for a body, Will be a pink H2. It'll be primary silver underneath, with some pink Dyed Parts. Steel TBs, and some purple alum washers spread out in good taste.

This is gonna be a quick quick build, since I have most the stuff. Also... Shes gonna start with stock front arms, Than Slash 2wd rear arms. That way her wheels are all front offsets and can be interchanged with the other vehicles.

More to come very soon....

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    LooT that's a start to one sIcK build dude. I love the mic of silver and black, very clean. I'm totally with you on the front shock tower being ProTrac ( very good choice )! H2 are such clean looking bodies, I can wait to see it. Man oh man.

BTW glad to see your full concentration will be back in the Pede forum. I still haven't forgotten to send ya those pics I'll do it here shortly.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

The girly touch...

Gonna be diein these pink. Rod ends, Springs (if they dont dye right il spray em) and These on order.

RC Racer
    Nice lookin build as always.Can't wait to see the finished product.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Hey, that's a cool idea! I've dyed chassis parts, but never thought of doing the ends that way. I build my wife a Stampede, too and topped it with a lexan Blackfoot body. Pink flames, of course! Looking good, man.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    Subscribed for later... Geez man, you know these trucks come RTR, right? Just kidding, another great start up man. Looking forward to the finished product. Talons on some chromies will look great with the added aluminum parts. That's gonna be a fun ride to watch go on the sunnyest of days

AbSoLooT1 still thinks that RTR means "Ready to Revise".

Very curious about the end result. As always: so far so very good!
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Competitor
    Nice man you just can't leave this alone I see. I want to build my daughter a pede too she already loves mine but its to fast for her to drive so I control the throttle and she steers. LOL
    If it isn't broke It will be

RC Champion
    Loot-Still robbing banks I see. That's a lot of bling. I crack myself up.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

Don't let LooT fool you guys that baby is all for HIM. LOL j/k

Man that would look clean sitting on the shelf in my soon to be girls room. Wonder if the wife would let me do that??

I don't want to mess LooT's thread up so i'm going to post pics of her room in thumb view.
    '

Tell me you don't think that build would look awesome on a shelf in there???
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Thanks fellas I appreciate it. Lots of awesome comments!!! But wait? These come Ready to Run? ahh man... Missed that memo. And to think, luggin home all these parts seperatly.. lol Good times.

and ya, those dye really well. The picture that went blank, are for the white shock covers from RPM. I posted but it doesnt seem to be shown. Those are gonna be pink as well.

Thank goodness its just gonna stay with the xl-5. (at least for now) It'l be overkill build though haha.

But its true, guilty as charged. Shes excited, but I was far more excited pickn at the shelves at LHS and now buildn it.

Just finished some more work, The number of parts I just installed should have gone alot faster than they did, but I always get all precise like, and make sure things flow smooth, and get rid of binding. Good to do it right the first time I think... But here it is.

Rear carriers I had in my parts bin, but they were weathered some from someone elses lack of knowing how to take care of their stuff.. Used Brasso and q-tips to clean it up. Funny, I use way more Q-tips on the Hobby than I do on myself. (not than I dont use enough, just alot more on the trucks lol )

Before and after. On the left u can see the before, The right, the after... Brasso shouldnt be used on anodized alum, but then again it holds up to corrosion much better when it does have anodization. So all good.

I also recommend that when u use standard suspension pins. Round off the edges. It prevents it from taking away material from inside the hold when ur putting in the pin, and makes em easier to slide right in. U can see before and after on this pic as well. One is "normal" on top, and the other is after its been rounded off at the edge.

And the Truck, Where it stands after a couple hours of more work.

Slash 2wd rear arms. I also have MIP CVDs to match these and their shorter profile. Shell have Front off-set wheels all the way around. I have RPM front arms, but the LHS were out of rear Slash 2wd arms. Since I like stuff to match, this was the way to mount things up. Also will be nice cuz she can break these for days. I have way to many stock arms sitting around, including 3 more pairs of slash 2wd rears, and 6 pairs of front arms. Also, I already had these MIP in parts bin, or I would have got her Stampede 4x4 rear shafts (6852x)

Im sure it wont be too much that when we are out driving, That ma lady will eventually want to throw Protrac on her truck. Well see

I also using this RPM front shock tower to mock up, until the Protrac Front tower gets here. I much prefer the look of it compared to the RPM one, as I think its more of a buggy look, and not so much for the Stampede. Protrac front tower will match the STRC one in the back nicely. I mocked em up to have a look, and its gonna look pretty good im thinkin....

more to come very soon.

RC Champion
    Can't wait to see it with all the pink stuff on it! Gonna be awesome!

RC Racer
    Very cool.
    I'm seeing some ideas for my ol' lady's 72 chevy pede.

RC Champion
    That is going to be one cool pede...just outta curiosity did you pay retail for all that or get a smokin deal?

Thanks fellas, Im excited to see it finished too...

Jaman: I had some parts already from a parts lot buy, buyin someone out of the hobby. But most were paid. It depends, I pay retail often, but I am usually looking for a deal. Also, often if the main guy is working at the Hobby shop, he gives me a discount since he sees me so much. For example, I actually got that pede chassis brand new of course, for 7.50. The talons I got for it, (not in pic) and some other RPM stuff, I got for a whole 40% off. But its more the norm I pay full retail. The hobby shops in the area who are tiny and give discounts to compete with the main bigger shop (thats two blocks away from me: ) has a very tiny amount of parts in stock, and everything has to be ordered in. The main shop, charges retail but they have a massive stock in house. That I prefer than payn a couple bucks less.

Digg: I think it would look real great in the lil ladies new room, looks like u got a good excuse to build one!

Love Pink! (I love those sweats on the right woman!)
    Even for a guy pink works with black 8)
    Are you going with an s-600?
    I think this will be another fine Loot selection. Keep 'em coming!
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Qualifier
    Your builds make me wait for what matches, instead of getting what's available. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Real cool Loot, nice quality, and colors. Hope your lil lady eventually shows you how to get it dirty. Lol nice effort to bring her in too.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Racer
    i dont know whether to say tool or cute!
    http://www.hobzob.com/garage/rc/derrick_gillespie

RC Racer
    I really dig STRC parts. I purchased their aluminum shock pliers. Top notch!! Now I have on order their front bulkhead and hinge bolt kit. MoreSTRC parts will be installed when I need to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Love Pink! (I love those sweats on the right woman!)
    Even for a guy pink works with black 8)
    Are you going with an s-600?
    I think this will be another fine Loot selection. Keep 'em coming!
    Thanks man. I totally agree with you. I saw a backslash on here (u probably seen it) that is pink, black and white and is one of the sickest rigs ive ever seen. I totally agree with you!

But ya I am. I have an old Stinger from * 1996 * That is still working, if im done until the s-600 gets here. But it doesn't match, and as u know it gets way hott. I know why its named so. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Toyboarder View Post
    Your builds make me wait for what matches, instead of getting what's available. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Thanks man, U did a great job on urs with all the blue though. But im a big believer in everything matching. Maybe not so much by choice, but more OCD lol. My Lady makes fun of me that even all my clothes have to match when Im chillin indoors. For Example, every last clothes hanger in my home is black. Every.. last one lol. Detail oriented, or disease? lol

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Real cool Loot, nice quality, and colors. Hope your lil lady eventually shows you how to get it dirty. Lol nice effort to bring her in too.
    Thanks dread. For real right. Im hopn she does. Plus... It wont hurt she knows il be the one cleaning it! lol

Quote Originally Posted by d_gillespie View Post
    i dont know whether to say tool or cute!
    haha.. What about: Precious?

Quote Originally Posted by Stampedenit View Post
    I really dig STRC parts. I purchased their aluminum shock pliers. Top notch!! Now I have on order their front bulkhead and hinge bolt kit. MoreSTRC parts will be installed when I need to replace them.
    I hear ya there. This is now the third vehicle completely covered in STRC. Two covered in red alum where is good, and now this one in silver. Love the Hinge pin kit. Il probably eventually get it for hers, but for the time being I have a ton of extra suspension pins, I wouldnt mind seeing her bust lol.

With 3 vehicles covered in STRC, when im done with this build, im gonna send a picture to STRC and be like um, can I get some decals now or... lol.

This pic was taken with about half of my STRC tags. I like em

But okay... Back to work! I wanted to start alot earlier tonight after we got back from the parents house. I wanted to work on " Her" truck, but she wanted to watch a movie! Can u believe that... lol. Updates real soon to come tonight...
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 03-12-2012 at 12:45 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    You can imagine how many good movies I've missed in the last 2 months of building. Or has it been 4? Aaahh may've been 6. I lost track.... track ah, that sounds like fun! This really is a sickness isn't it? Na, just an obsession!
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

lol. Well theres ur other issue.. you've lost complete track of time due to the hobby, Thats never happened to me ever since I started the hobby last week, or was it a couple years or decades ago, uh oh.. we're doomed... lol

My lady and her family were designing the head stone today for her late brother who passed away last year. During that time, the in-laws stated my head stone would be really easy. A picture of a girl, and a RC Truck. . . Guilty as charged.

.... You know ur an RC addict when 3 different hobby stores have the parts u need to near complete ur ladies truck to which are on opposite sides of the city... eeeekkk...

I Just gone done with some more work, but ima wait till tommorow to post an update of the near completed project when I get a few more bits of details such as alum washers, to finish it up.

HA......I don't think any of us are addicticted........I N T E R V E N T I O N here we come......All the family members sit in a circle and try to tell us we need to stop. We are like we have no problem. While in there you are driving your 1/24 and speeding across the room. ( you go Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......like the annoying pig in the Geico commercial ). haha

Yah man that STRC are some good parts. Their color choices have opened up to. Especially if someone wanted to do a Digger, Kawasaki, or Monster Energy build. So clean man. Plus they are dang close to Traxxas parts if needed to mix and match.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I am that pig... sorry I was annoying you. Now you know why I mentioned that pink is ok for a guy.

Hey, it pays the lhs tab...

WWWWHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEE!
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

Haha. So true digg.

Rag, that pig doesn't bother me until it opens it's mouth. They have to use a punk teenagers voice on him? Thanks Mrs A.. Shhesh.

Okay so as we speak I'm in a car, hit the two hobby stores to get the purple washers they don't make anymore, and the hummer body which I lucked out and was one left at one of the LHS. The 3rd hobby shop. Decieded to close on Mondays for good. Also, the RPM white shock guards came in today. Yipee.. Il post pics when I get home. Weeeeeeeee! Lol

more parts!!

Had to get anouther Tranny since that one was used from a parts bin, and has a stripped screw on the bottom. Picked up a new one.

Got the RPM white shock guards, soon to be pink.

And I tracked down these washers.

They no longer make em by anyone except for the 3mm counter sunk and 4mm counter sunk. 3mm cap, and 4mm are no longer made. U can see how old this Racers Edge packaging is. Its in an old kinda dead hobby shop. One of those finds...

RC Competitor
    Chicks n rc Trucks are the best!
    Pin it to win it, Drive it like you stole it.

RC Qualifier
    Nice build Loot! Can't wait to see the end result!

Thanks scorpio.... me too. Especially now. Its about to really come together.

Update: Little progress of front end near completion.

So ya.... I got the front bumper on, and some details. Feel like progress has been real slow cuz ive been doing some tedious stuff, and getting ready for things to come together, and getting parts needed. For example. The Monster jam mounts, comes with phillips head screws. Look just like king pin, or the front arm outter screws, but are phillips heads. Not a fan of phillips heads, and only keeping the front two mounting to the bulkhead, So I cut some extra hex head suspenion screws to replace the phillips heads provided with the MJ mounts. Things like that..

So great... I got this done, and the bumper looks awesome, makes the front look great. But then...... I was lookin at it, and the arms look so short. Granted they will have Front offsets everywhere, I was still having nightmares of her really nice painted bodies, Us driving out trucks together and her having all these roll overs smashing her nice pink body all up, and me not only being so much faster, but so much better handeling. Havin day dream nightmares of her going back to flip her truck over all the time, or most likely me... lol, and her being sad her truck sucks, and mines so great (very unlikely cuz thats not her, but ya know)

So, I was at yet anouther hobby shop in town..... And, what do u know.... lol..

Protrac for the Lady!!! Now I can sleep at night. lol. I also got her some Slash/Stampede 4x4 shafts, but it only came with one. (thought it was the pair) and I remembered I had all parts for stock shafts. So ima dump the MIP Slash 2wd shafts, try and sell em locally.. I didnt like the look of em anyways, and the red in the CVDs, I think was throwing it off... So.. What do ya know

RC Champion
    Uh huh, next thing you'll be telling us is that a brushless system is going in it, lol. I've missed my fair share of movies too, but it's only because I pretty much figure them out from seeing the previews

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Random off topic question, where'd you get that parts bin you have all the washers and shock spacers in? Been looking for something like that but I haven't found a darn thing that would work.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Enthusiast

A few pics of the Pede I did up for my 5 year old daughter. She loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    Random off topic question, where'd you get that parts bin you have all the washers and shock spacers in? Been looking for something like that but I haven't found a darn thing that would work.
    Walmart - aka Wally World. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

It's always cool to see the eye for details. Im looking forward to see the end result.
    Nobody is born with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    Uh huh, next thing you'll be telling us is that a brushless system is going in it, lol. I've missed my fair share of movies too, but it's only because I pretty much figure them out from seeing the previews
    lol. U nailed it. I just told her tonight, that now here pede is going to be as good as mine, except for the electronics. I thought she was gonna reply something like, Oh babe it doesnt need to be, or uve gone overboard. Her reply..... NICE!! lol. Its a matter of time im guessing ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    Harbor frieght tools is the best place if u have one locally. They have lots of sizes, and best prices on em. If not Wally world as Digger said. I have 5 sizes of em.

Plus a tool box for sealed yet un-used parts.

Than one of those laundry basket type things that are used for storage full of tires, and stock parts i am not using.. This disease is gettn outta hand. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    It's always cool to see the eye for details. Im looking forward to see the end result.
    Thanks man. Gosh me too... This thing is fighting me the entire way. Now the rear gearbox I got, isnt working... It wont seal right, the other had a stripped hole. This one wont close well, and can see a gap... makin me mad. And as some have said, this Protrac his is to tight around the bulkhead, and the carriers... So I got to very carefully expand em at the mounts, but not to much to make it sloppy, and uneven... I thought id be near done by now...no bueno.

But The kit makes it look so much better tommorow. Wheels get here tommorow, and the body is already here so it should be nearly completed. Once I get over my obession with the suspension functioning properly, and most importantly I stop making changes, lol. than Il be done.. Oh man haha... oh and I gave her front and rear inner STRC lock pins. Left the outters stock. Have extras, and they look real nice. Inners are most important.

Much better with Protrac. still more Hot pink lookin purple coming on the front, its should really come together when im near there.

Project: Overkill! lol
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 03-14-2012 at 12:11 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome Loot, you just got me a free pass on a new build! I got my wife checking out the forums now, she's really into the aesthetics and bodies and stuff, so essentially what you're doing. Saw this one and now she wants a toy Probably something smaller though, she initially picked out one of those mini 8ights buggys, but then I told her of the lack of aftermarket. Now sights are set on a MERV...I love it because I'll get to do all the crap you did up there!

Can't wait to see the finished product on this one.
    P2de VXL - Summit

NICE!!! Thats awesome bro. I just came home with 70 bucks in more parts! Now shell really come together fast. Im glad i could inspire ur wallet to empty itself Super cool though, its such a good time. She'll be done real soon!