RC Competitor

Did i unlock my XO-1 or not? Help!

Hey guys,

Got my XO-1 yesterday, and first thing i did was to install the 34T pinion, and the front wing. Then i inserted my iphone 4 and booted up the traxxas app. Everything was green - went onto the page with the "100mph" logo and hit it. Then it said "UNLOCKED" - and i then had the option to lock it again if i wanted to ( havent pressed that yet ).

Then i went out and drove - granted, this was on a cold day and on a tarmac road with some dirt specs here and there, so not the best traction. After using the battery packs entirely, i had hit 69 mph as my maximum speed.

Now im wondering, did i unlock it? I read that you have to complete an email form, submit drivers license digits etc - but none of that happened to me.

Also, not being able to go above 69 mph ofcourse made me a bit curious as to whether or not i have unlocked it? I mean, to me it looked like the car was doing wheelspins at 69 mph, so it seemed like it could be a simple traction problem, but now i just want to be sure.

Can anyone help me here please?

Also, as a bonus question - i was wondering, is there any harm in driving this car with 14.8 volts ( 4s ) - seeing as i have alot of those lying around, i thought they might be fun to use, but i also heard somewhere that running too low voltage on certain ESC's, will damage them?

In advance, thanks
    // superange

RC Racer
    If you didn't go through filling out any info or watching a movie you didn't unlock it. Try again when u have network connection on the iTouch device you will have to do an update.

Running on 4s is only gonna make you want to go back to 6s, but it can be done without any harm.

RC Racer
    If you hit 69 i would say you did unlock it the factory lock was set at 50 mph

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

The fastest I've gotten mine up to is 70mph I couldent amagine taking it up to 100
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-12-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Competitor
    hmm, did some more testing last night - i think it IS unlocked. I can unlock by pressing unlock - i can lock, but then it asks me to fill in a 4 digit code. When i then want to unlock it again, i enter the 4 digit code, and it says unlocked. Whenever i do these two operations, i can hear the esc going "bzz bzz" as if it actually "does" something, like unlocking it.

Made me thinking; Maybe this is because its a european version? I mean in the states you guys have far stricter rules, and you'd have to submit your drivers license digits - but that wouldnt be a plausible way to do it in europe i guess?

Going to test drive it again today, so we will see if i pass the 70 mph.. - and yes Ddaniels i agree.. its scary. But in a nice way

This post has been edited because of language abuse violation(s). If you see a starred out word in your post, the word has been blocked by the language filter. The language filter was put in place to block words that Traxxas deemed inappropriate for use on their forums. Please remove these words from your post in the future, or warning points will likely be issued.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    // superange

RC Racer
    You will know its unlocked when you drive it. If you drive the car, and are unsure, then it is still locked. You WILL know when it is trully unleashed. Mine didnt unlock properly, i had do delete traxxas link from my phone, and then re download it. The second time i had to fill out a bunch of info, and watch a video that has been posted on the forums here. Then when I clicked unlock, I heard the 'buzz'. Then I drove it into a block wall lol. Enjoy, its a thrill...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by superange View Post
    hmm, did some more testing last night - i think it IS unlocked. I can unlock by pressing unlock - i can lock, but then it asks me to fill in a 4 digit code. When i then want to unlock it again, i enter the 4 digit code, and it says unlocked. Whenever i do these two operations, i can hear the esc going "bzz bzz" as if it actually "does" something, like unlocking it.

Made me thinking; Maybe this is because its a european version? I mean in the states you guys have far stricter rules, and you'd have to submit your drivers license digits - but that wouldnt be a plausible way to do it in europe i guess?

Going to test drive it again today, so we will see if i pass the 70 mph.. - and yes Ddaniels i agree.. its scary. But in a nice way
    It is still locked.... what you have to do is upgrade the receiver firmware. Go to the support menu in your traxxas application then update (tq and car should be on...). Then do the registration for unlocking. And then connect castle link and disable the torque limit and you will have a top supercar ;-)
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-12-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: modified quote

RC Competitor
    You are right it seems - did upgrade it now, and then i had to complete the registration.. but the 69mph readout, why was that? Im thinking it might be because i used the 34T pinion, and they only measure the motors rotation so theyre saying "this much rotation = 50 mph" - and with the bigger pinion, it went 19mph more?

I could hear it go rev, rev, rev, at the top - while doing wheelspins - so it must have been the limiter.

Thats just insane.. now im REALLY nervous for next time.
    // superange

RC Racer
    Take babysteps.

RC Qualifier
    You are right it seems - did upgrade it now, and then i had to complete the registration.. but the 69mph readout, why was that? Im thinking it might be because i used the 34T pinion, and they only measure the motors rotation so theyre saying "this much rotation = 50 mph" - and with the bigger pinion, it went 19mph more?

I could hear it go rev, rev, rev, at the top - while doing wheelspins - so it must have been the limiter.

You have to enter the gearing into the traxxas app in the garage part so that it reads out correctly if you havnt done so allready .. Its probably still set at the smaller gearing and maybe has a differnt readout

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thats the limiter... and yes you can get higher readings than 50 mph locked. Mine did the exact same thing, read about 69 mph locked. Then I unlocked, it still said 69, but ran much faster....

I think whats happening is the car revs, spins the tires past 50 mph, and then the receiver cuts the throttle signal. But in that moment of wheelspin, you can get a higher than 50 mph reading. But because the throttle gets cut a moment later, the actual speed of the car is much lower.

RC Enthusiast

Yes be careful especially if you disable the torque limit (if you have the castlelink...). Otherwise the car won't have the same feeling on the throttle...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I disabled torque limiting.... not sure going full disable is the best choice here.... I'm thinking reducing it from stock, but not disabling it might be better.