Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Noob needs some guidance

I haven't had an RC in 20+ years and finally decided to get back into it. Of course the technology is totally new to me so bear with me if you could. I've read the manual, searched here, and google searched and am still having trouble getting going.

My new Summit showed up yesterday. I threw the stock batteries (NiMh) on the charger (206b) and charged them both up. I dropped the batteries in, plugged it all in, turned the Tx on, then turned the EVX-2 on. This is where my problem starts. The light goes green for a second on the truck, and if I release the power button, it flashes red (looks like it's alternating green/red) and the truck won't move. I have everything else, steering, shifting, etc, just no forward/reverse. I've tried reprogramming the Tx (TQi) back to the factory settings (although I don't think I changed anything) and tried resetting the profile based on the steps in the manual but it always comes back to the EVX-2 flashing red and the truck not moving. I did get it moving earlier this morning, went about 20' then shut off. It was acting up prior to this and continues to act up.

The transmitter/receiver are both solid green, just the EVX-2 that's flashing. And like I said, it looks like it's alternating red/green but I didn't see anything in the manual for that combination so I'm assuming that it should just be thought of as being flashing red.
    Help please! Me and my 4yo want to go play!
    Last edited by mattinpa; 03-10-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added info

RC Enthusiast
    I'm looking into it, but have you tried Traxxas customer support yet?
    Let's CRAWL!

RC Competitor
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like they're open today.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    It sounds like either
    a: the link needs to be redone between the truck and the controller (should be instructions in the manual for that, there's a button on the truck's brain that needs to be accessed by unsrewing the top of the black box that contains it).
    b: maybe the Low Voltage detection is on for LiPo batteries and that's incompatible with the (useless) batteries that come with it.
    c: Something is broken with the transmitter or the reciever in the truck.

When you do get it working, check out all my posts for how to have a 4 year old play with it without wrecking it (involving rubber bands, training mode, etc.).

By the way, I'm 41 and just got back into this after 20+ years, you couldn't ask for a better vehicle to play with.
    Bash OR crawl? No, the Summit does it all!

RC Enthusiast
    Awww man.....figures.

Well, I did a little research and found that the alternating red/green flashing means it may be in over-voltage protection, but you're using stock batteries, so that shouldn't be the case. Now, since you have the TQi transmitter, that means your EVX-2 should have low-voltage detection for running Lipo's. I'm not sure if that could be causing the issue, and I'm also not sure if you can turn it off. My Summit is a month old, but it came with the 2.4 GHz transmitter, and my EVX-2 doesn't have low-voltage detection.

Sorry I can't be of more help.....hopefully someone with the latest EVX-2 with post a solution.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
    It sounds like either
    a: the link needs to be redone between the truck and the controller (should be instructions in the manual for that, there's a button on the truck's brain that needs to be accessed by unsrewing the top of the black box that contains it).
    b: maybe the Low Voltage detection is on for LiPo batteries and that's incompatible with the (useless) batteries that come with it.

When you do get it working, check out all my posts for how to have a 4 year old play with it without wrecking it (involving rubber bands, training mode, etc.).

By the way, I'm 41 and just got back into this after 20+ years, you couldn't ask for a better vehicle to play with.
    Ahhh....see, someone that knows.

Hopefully (fingers crossed) it's option "B". Though option "A" isn't that difficult, I'm just uncertain if that's the issue since you have all the functions other than throttle.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
    It sounds like either

Thanks for the ideas Gus. The link between the transmitter and receiver should be good, both lights are green there, it's the ESC that's giving me trouble. And I was able to confirm that it is flashing red/green, when I disconnected the motor and tried it all again, it just flashes red.

I'm 36 (this truck was a b-day gift from my wife, not starting off well!) with kids ranging from 14 to 2. My 2 year old screamed, she didn't like it at all (when it ran). All 3 older boys are chomping at the bit to take a test drive so I'll be sure to check out your videos.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjaybo77 View Post
    Ahhh....see, someone that knows.

Hopefully (fingers crossed) it's option "B". Though option "A" isn't that difficult, I'm just uncertain if that's the issue since you have all the functions other than throttle.
    The over/under voltage sounds promising, but I don't think I ever turned on the LVD. Who knows, I'll keep messing with it though, appreciate the response guys!

RC poster
    When the LVD is on the light will be green on the esc, that might be the problem cause it shows overvoltage when you run NIMH.
    To change to non LVD mode start the esc and then press the button and hold it down for 10 sec and the light should become red showing the non LVD mode is on.

RC Competitor
    Tried that. The esc becomes non-responsive immediately after turning on (flashing green/red). If I don't connect the motor side I get a slow flashing red which seems indicative of the lvd function, but unfortunately no matter how long I press, it won't switch between lvd/non-lvd. FWIW- I measured the voltage on the batteries and they're at 9.3/9.4
    Last edited by mattinpa; 03-10-2012 at 09:10 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mattinpa View Post
    Tried that. The esc becomes non-responsive immediately after turning on (flashing green/red). If I don't connect the motor side I get a slow flashing red which seems indicative of the lvd function, but unfortunately no matter how long I press, it won't switch between lvd/non-lvd. FWIW- I measured the voltage on the batteries and they're at 9.3/9.4
    Thats wierd, maybe the esc is messed up for some reason, send an e-mail to traxxas support and see what they have to say about it.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mactheripper View Post
    Thats wierd, maybe the esc is messed up for some reason, send an e-mail to traxxas support and see what they have to say about it.
    Or the motor has shorted.....it could happen. Hello warranty!!
    Let's CRAWL!

RC poster
    Wow that sucks not being able to play with your new truck.
    I've never used the new evx2 but apparently flashing red/green is over voltage protection. Maybe your truck came in lipo mode already and 2 fully charged nihm's is over voltage for lipo mode??
    2 fully charged 2s lipos are 16.8v and you said your nimhs were 9.3/9.4 so 18.7v.
    Try draining those batteries a bit and see if will turn on and then switch modes. I'm just taking a guess here, so sorry if it's a wild goose chase. Good luck.

RC Competitor
    A buddy of mine had a similar issue. It ended up being the low voltage detection and since he was trying to run NiMh batteries, Here is what we did...

Unplug the batteries, plug them back in, turn on the esc (press button for one second and release), (don't try to drive or anything else) press and hold the button until you hear a tone then release, (this tone should decrease in pitch. If the tone increases in pitch, release the button and then hold it down again until you hear a tone with decreasing pitch.), once you hear this decreasing tone, you should be set. If this doesn't work, take it out on your kids. lol. Good Luck.
    You can drive my car, but there's a $500 deposit.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mactheripper View Post
    If I don't have any luck today, I'll take everything with me to work tomorrow and troubleshoot with Traxxas on the phone. I've heard nothing but great things about their support so I'm not concerned there, just want to get it up and running.

Or the motor has shorted.....it could happen. Hello warranty!!
    I got it to go about 3' last night and then it shut off again. We'll see though, I'll keep the thread updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew55 View Post
    Wow that sucks not being able to play with your new truck.
    I've never used the new evx2 but apparently flashing red/green is over voltage protection. Maybe your truck came in lipo mode already and 2 fully charged nihm's is over voltage for lipo mode??
    2 fully charged 2s lipos are 16.8v and you said your nimhs were 9.3/9.4 so 18.7v.
    Try draining those batteries a bit and see if will turn on and then switch modes. I'm just taking a guess here, so sorry if it's a wild goose chase. Good luck.
    Great idea, batteries are currently getting the life sucked out of them courtesy of Progressive. Not sure how far down the voltage will go without ruining them but I'll see if I can get them just below the threshold so I can turn the lvd off (if that's the case).

Quote Originally Posted by Smittyz View Post
    A buddy of mine had a similar issue. It ended up being the low voltage detection and since he was trying to run NiMh batteries, Here is what we did...

Unplug the batteries, plug them back in, turn on the esc (press button for one second and release), (don't try to drive or anything else) press and hold the button until you hear a tone then release, (this tone should decrease in pitch. If the tone increases in pitch, release the button and then hold it down again until you hear a tone with decreasing pitch.), once you hear this decreasing tone, you should be set. If this doesn't work, take it out on your kids. lol. Good Luck.
    I can't do anything as soon as I turn on the ESC, it goes right into red/green flashing and doesn't respond to anything. I'm going to drop the juice on the batteries and see if that helps.

Thanks again for the responses, greatly appreciate the feedback. By the way, here it is, sittin' all clean and ready to run!

RC Qualifier
    looking good - hope you get it up and running soon - I just got back into the hobby too after a long absence.

summit was my choice too

RC Competitor
    Back in business!

I discharged both batteries below the 16.8v threshold (they barely had any juice in them) and as soon as I hooked it up, I was able to switch the LVD off (so it was definitely on) and got to drive the truck for a bit. The LED on the ESC is currently solid red, which is exactly where I think it needs to be (for NiMh use). Nothing like getting familiar with the truck by having to immediately troubleshoot. lol.

Thanks again for the ideas! It's going to be 70 and sunny here in Pittsburgh today so you all know what I'll be doing now. Hmm, I think I need another set of batteries!
    Last edited by mattinpa; 03-11-2012 at 10:00 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jungletreker View Post
    looking good - hope you get it up and running soon - I just got back into the hobby too after a long absence.

summit was my choice too
    Looks to be a common theme! After my long absence, I also chose the Summit.
    Let's CRAWL!

RC Enthusiast
    Back in business!

I discharged both batteries below the 16.8v threshold (they barely had any juice in them) and as soon as I hooked it up, I was able to switch the LVD off (so it was definitely on) and got to drive the truck for a bit. The LED on the ESC is currently solid red, which is exactly where I think it needs to be (for NiMh use). Nothing like getting familiar with the truck by having to immediately troubleshoot. lol.

Thanks again for the ideas! It's going to be 70 and sunny here in Pittsburgh today so you all know what I'll be doing now. Hmm, I think I need another set of batteries!
    Glad you got it going!! I would drop a line to Traxxas letting them know that yours came set for lipo's so they can let manufacturing know.....that is if you didn't already!
    Let's CRAWL!

RC poster
    Back in business!

Congrats! I"m sure the "kids" will be happy to play with it today.

I to am coming back into the RC world, last one I bought was in 1992.....world of a difference! Glad I chose the Summit as my "welcome back". lol

RC Competitor
    Glad you got it going!! I would drop a line to Traxxas letting them know that yours came set for lipo's so they can let manufacturing know.....that is if you didn't already!
    I'm more concerned with the fact that there's zero reference in the manual (that I could find) about the over voltage condition. If it said, "If your ESC is flashing red/green, throw a set of dead NiMh's in it and shut off the LVD". ha ha. I'll probably send Traxxas a note that this condition exists and should be referenced at least in the EVX-2 addendum sheet that came with the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by xman808 View Post
    Congrats! I"m sure the "kids" will be happy to play with it today.

I to am coming back into the RC world, last one I bought was in 1992.....world of a difference! Glad I chose the Summit as my "welcome back". lol
    I've always wanted an E-Maxx, so when I finally got the go ahead from the wife this year, I got online and saw this behemoth and had to have it. I won't lie, and this is the rookie driver in me talking, but this thing moves pretty fast. I know I'll get used to it quickly and will want more, but I think I'll probably get a Slash to alleviate my speed fix. My daughter (2) still doesn't like it. I had to put her up in the back of my truck while I was driving it. I'm sure she'll get used to it. My 4yo son and dog love it, they were both chasing it around the yard.

2 runs already today and it's been flawless. Well, the truck's been flawless, my driving, not so much.

RC poster
    Thank you so much for posting. I was in the same boat with my Summit and was completely bummed. I messed with it for 2 hours before I found your thread. Your tip worked for me and it was crawling around my house shortly thereafter. Can't wait to take it outside tomorrow. Thanks again!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer X400600 View Post
    Thank you so much for posting. I was in the same boat with my Summit and was completely bummed. I messed with it for 2 hours before I found your thread. Your tip worked for me and it was crawling around my house shortly thereafter. Can't wait to take it outside tomorrow. Thanks again!
    Glad it worked! For what it's worth, I contacted Traxxas about the lack of documentation for this scenario and they said they'd get the information to the correct people.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Hello Traxxas community, I'm new to rc'ing and have been reading though this forum for about a month now, seems like a great place.

I just picked up a new Summit today and I'm having the same problem as mattinpa. I charged up the stock batteries with a new Duratrax Onyx 245, which can't discharge, so I'm waiting for them to drain themselves before I can go any further. Fingers are crossed that they'll be low enough tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1971 View Post
    Hello Traxxas community, I'm new to rc'ing and have been reading though this forum for about a month now, seems like a great place.

I just picked up a new Summit today and I'm having the same problem as mattinpa. I charged up the stock batteries with a new Duratrax Onyx 245, which can't discharge, so I'm waiting for them to drain themselves before I can go any further. Fingers are crossed that they'll be low enough tomorrow.
    I had the same problem my new summit I was turning it on for the 1st time and it started flashing red/green. Just as mattinpa stated there is no reference about it in the manual. After reading this post and finding out what was wrong I had a pair of 7.2 volt nimh packs from another rc I own plugged them in and it allowed me to get out of that setting. try a lower voltage battery if you have!!

RC Racer
    Back in business!

Hey mattinpa and others with the same problem,

Once you managed to turn off the lvd did it stay set to off the next time you plugged it in or did it go back to being on?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1971 View Post
    Hey mattinpa and others with the same problem,

Once you managed to turn off the lvd did it stay set to off the next time you plugged it in or did it go back to being on?
    Yes it stayed off

RC Racer
    We'll I ended up going back to the store where I bought my Summit this afternoon and with the help of him discharging a couple of his own batteries (that were already low) and this thread my Summit is now working. Thanks everyone!!!

Now on to deciding which method to use to brake-in the motor.

RC Competitor
    I haven't had one issue with the ESC since I switched the LVD off. I'll have to turn it back on at some point, bought some 2S 8200 batteries last week. I don't entirely understand the whole balance board concept and if I need to go from the charger to the balance board, then plug the splitter/adapter into that, or plug the adapter directly into the charger. Gonna call Progressive tomorrow to confirm, better safe than sorry...
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Matt you plug the battery in via the traxxas lead...THEN you plug the balance tap on the battery into the board then the harness plug in from the board to the charger.
    Three Summits

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    Matt you plug the battery in via the traxxas lead...THEN you plug the balance tap on the battery into the board then the harness plug in from the board to the charger.
    Like this?
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Like this?
    That looks good to me!

RC Enthusiast
    Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum, as a newly and proud owner of a Summit. Unfortunately, this first post is about the same issue.
    When the truck arrived, I connected the batts and was ok. But then I managed to switch the throttle ratio on the Tx and messed up. So I had to follow the procedure to reset both the Tx and Rx.
    Maybe in this process I did alter something in the ESC (turning the LVD on).. though I remember that afterwards the led was solid red.
    So, after resetting the Tx and Rx, the truck was ok again, so I got to drive it a bit until the led started to dim when pressing the throttle. I guessed it was time to recharge.
    I have a MRC superbrain 977, so I set up the deltapeak, 7 cell, 3A charge. When both batts were fully charged, put them in the truck and .... the ESC led started to blink green/red.

After panicking and searching this forum, I came across this topic, relaxed a bit and put the batts to discharge. The same settings, 3A, deltapeak. After both were discharged, they were both around 8.4-8.5 V. Put the in the truck and... after powering up the ESC led turned greed, then started to blink red for 3 times and shut down completely.
    I thought the batts don't have enough juice, put one back in the charger (3A), waited 1 minute and the voltage jumpped to 8.7. Put the battery in the truck (ESC side).. ESC blinks red/greed, the same problem. Swapped the bateries (the other one being discharged kinda fully) the ESC blinks red 3 times and shuts down.

Questions:
    1. So, what to do? Can this be an ESC problem?
    2. I could see in the manual that if the LVD is on, slow red blinking means low voltage. But the batts were in the 8.3-8.5 V range and I know lipos are aound 7,4V. Is this behaviour (3 red blink then shutdown) normal?
    3. How should I charge/discharge the batts? using maybe a lower A? Because with the setting I've tried, either there is an overvoltage (greed red blink) or a low voltage (3 red blink then shutdown)?
    4. Next week I have some LiPos to arrive (ordered them from US and the transport is slow, as I'm from Europe). Should I wait until the LiPos arrive and see afterwards?
    5. When LiPos arrive, should I try them (to see if the ESC is behaving normally or not) or charge them before?

Sorry for the long post, but this weekend I wished I could play with the truck and now it seems impossible.. Thank for your patience and responses.

RC Enthusiast
    LE. As said, After fully discharging both packs, they are in the 8.4-8.5 V area (at least that's what MRC shows).
    I think that they do not have any juice left, hence the 3 red blinks and subsequent shutdown immediately after powering up the ESC.

At what A should I try to charge a little bit the packs as to mainly increase the mAh in the packs and not the V? (because as I said, if I try to charge at 3A it mainly increases the V, jumping to 8.7) and the ESC enters again in overvoltage. Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Well, sorry for the previous posts. Managed yesterday to fix the situation. Discharged both packs at .5 A, then charged them at .2A... And after a while, stopped the charging when at the 8.4V. After that, I was able to switch the EVX to NiMh mode.
    Then discharged the packs again and did a full charg at 3A.
    Thus I was able to play with the truck. Unfortunately this morning started to rain quite heavily so bad luck.
    Anyway, the good news is that tomorrow i will be picking up the LiPos I had ordered, so I'll be switching back the EVX.
    Again, sorry for these posts, but it's my first truck.. awesome truck..

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for this thread... I had similliar problem and plugging almost dead batteries, I was able to reset the EVX-2 to a solid red light

RC Champion
    that wiring on the charger looks strange. it seems it would only be safe if both packs were the same voltage before the charge started.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Competitor
    +1 on the charger hookup not looking right. That doesn't look like it can work since the charger has no way to tell which battery balance signal comes from which battery and no way to change charge rate between batteries. Better to charge one battery at a time for safety.

RC Competitor
    Just realized that the pictures on the charger hookup were from 6 months ago-duh. Hope he didn't have problems.

RC Racer
    Okay so I'm having this same issue with the ESC. It just blinks red/green. I am currently discharging the batteries. And on the charger it says 9.26V for the one on the charger. How low does this need to be? Or how long should I have them discharge for?

RC poster
    I had this issue too, man they need to do something to prevent this from happening or put the fix in the manual. I found a video on you tube that showed how to fix it and it worked.