RC Enthusiast

The Ultimate "Summit"

Just got my mini Summit and I am hooked! Love everything about the truck so far (well except for the cogging). I am already thinking about upgrades but i want to keep the spirit of the truck alive, i still want a Summit at the end of the day.

What are the best over the top ugrades, speed, handling, acesories ect to push this thing to the limit. Im looking for max top end speed with the dual purpose ability the summit is marketed for.

Ive ben out of RC for a while but i have plenty of know how so i will probably do custom fabrication for almost everything, but if there are good bolt ons out there id like to get my hands on them.

Here are a couple of investments i know i want already, if anyone has any advice i would be greatly apreciative:

Aluminum skid plates, i would like to have a full under body kit, front and rear chassis as well as a-arm skids.
    Aluminum suspension, i want to keep the stance as close to stock as i can...i dont want to turn it into a revo.
    Aluminum or steel exo cage. I have found a few rollcages but not a metal exo cage.
    The biggest motor that can be crammed into this little truck. It may be a while before i do a motor swap but when i do i want to put out the most horsepower i can.

I know i dont want to flip the trans, i like the top end speed but i would like to keep some mild crawling ability if i can.

Basically the goal is to smoke any revo or slash i come up against and still be able to hit some rocks and mud if i want......

RC Competitor
    im new to the hobby but when i bought my wife her mini summit the first thing i really upgraded was the skid plates....there are some on ebay the starting bid is like 9 bucks and BIN is 13 i got all of mine for 9 bucks a piece and they work great

The link to an on-line retailer has been removed. Please review Rule 11 of the Traxxas On-Line Community Rules, which prohibits the posting of links to on-line retailers.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-13-2011 at 05:54 AM.

RC Racer
    Play with it awhile. You'll get a feel for what really needs changing. Most of it depends on the driving style and terrain utilized. Get some LiPo's and a serial connector will really show you what stock can do.

RC Enthusiast
    Im running a series connector with the dual stock traxxas batteries and i did see a HUGE improvement over the single cell set up, lipo is def the next move. Can you run dual lipos with the series connector?

RC Racer
    No. The ESC can't handle it. Some people put their ESC into Nimh mode and run 4s bit that will fry your ESC and there is no LVC for the lipos. You really don't need more than 3s lipo IMO though. It's very fast and gets hard to control sometimes
    The expert in anything... Was once a beginner.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks ill keep it to a 3s. Im thinking of going with all Integy aluminum for the chassis (blue and silver) the toyz seems to have most everything including an all aluminum chassis replacement (im going silver) but im having a hard time finding alot of the suspension that is specific to the summit. I know the A-arms for the merv will work but I don't want to use loose ride hight by going to merv or slash aluminum push rods and turn buckle, does anyone make the longer ones for the summit that wont sacrifice ground clearance?

Also ill keep everyone up to date on my progress with pics as the parts start rolling in!

RC Racer
    I'm interested how the integy frame works for you. I'd be worried about bending it all up.

I would highly recommend buying shims for the front and rear differentials, I have two shims on the front and rear. I found the gearing was a little loose stock and led to stripped planetary gears.

Integy makes a sweet aluminum transmission case and heat sink. GET IT! Admittedly, Its summer in Texas, (wildfires/heatwave) but I had overheating troubles. The aluminum transmission acted as a giant heat sink and really soaked up all the heat from my motor. I can run my lipos back to back now.

Lipo's for sure! I run two traxxas 2s 2200mah together for super long run times, and constant wheelies. I have ran the traxxas 3s 1400mah battery a couple of times, but its just too fast. You loose most if not all control. Fun, but the cost of failure is too high for the reward.

I demand pictures as your summit transforms!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks!

Th aluminum trans case and heat sink are def in my priority list, probably not as hot in northern ohio but id rather be safe than sorry. Ill take you advice on the diff shims, ive notice a little slippling but i had assumed it was due to the lack of diff oils that traxxas puts in them out of the box.

Ill hold up to my promise and keep everyone in the loop on the transformation.

RC Enthusiast
    has anyone chaged there factory ESC on the mini summit? ive tried to do some research with castle creations sidewinder, and the new sidewinder SV2, but no reply on the fit yet, they r made for 1/10. but on ebay i found that someone has made a 60+ mph setup, you get a new esc with a fan, and a heatsink, for $75 bucks, he also has a 75 or 80 mph set up that is like 10-15 bucks more. lots of ppl talk that the factory esc is bad, lots of people have had to send them back to traxxas, or they just get hot to quickly, so if anyone has a different ESC tell me all about it please, and if i just go ahead and get the 60 mph set up, thats already to fast, ill let you guys know. right now i've got mine geared for more top speed, 19t/45t, and its a little faster than before with my 3s 1800 mah, but still want more speed out of this, ill wait and get a big summit for more crawling type activities but for bashing around, no tracks near, i like to get it on the road and go fast, also anyone have a recommendation for a good set of street tires? thanks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMilk View Post
    Lipo's for sure! I run two traxxas 2s 2200mah together for super long run times, and constant wheelies. I have ran the traxxas 3s 1400mah battery a couple of times, but its just too fast. You loose most if not all control. Fun, but the cost of failure is too high for the reward.
    ^^^so so true. fun but big bucks when ya hard hit and you will coz its just to fast for a little truck!
    I had probs with my 1st ESC but that was from over heating coz stock gearing was way to low down. Screams with the 16t pinion they give ya. i put a 23 pinion on and the thing just got scary fast top end but the power low down was so much more controlable. Fliped the trans and all almost perfect. I run a fan on my motor and esc now. 30 minute runs on 7.4 2s 2000mah and hasnt shut down since.
    Have a look at my high speed run vids. thats with the tranny NOT flipped and 23t pinion. Too fast. took it to the track the other day and was pretty useless. I found that with the mini summit, you either have it set up to bash fast or slow. mines set up for slow crawling and bashing, With the diffs pretty bloody locked, on the track it was useless. rolled over so much i went home early. Was fast, but not set up for taking corners like that.
    Have a look, theres a thread with pics of peoples sidewinders installed on the 1/16.
    My summit did my head in hard first 2 weeks, now i love the thing a bit too much. I got parts coming in up the wahzoo!

RC Racer
    upgrades i think is a must is steel cvd (axles) I put them on and modified my shock arms and ive never had an axle pop out, yet.

RC Competitor
    any updates

do your homework on integy, most of their products are trash

RC Racer
    There are only a few upgrades I found a must. Merv axles, Merv RPM a-arms, heatsink, and 55t pinion gear. I don't use any aluminum or metal to keep weight down. With these few upgrades my 1/16 Summit VXL has been unbreakable and I do ride it hard. I wouldn't go higher than a 2s lipo b/c the motor will run very hot. Here is a video of how I ride my Summit.

Rustler VXL
    T-Maxx 3.3
    1/16 Summit VXL

RC Champion
    Looks like you are having a blast with that thing! I LOVE IT!!!

RC Competitor
    Sweet vid. that thing is tough, thats what i love about the summit

RC Racer
    The Summit has become my favorite r/c out of my collection. That is after the esc replacement from Traxxas (stopping & cogging issues with new out the box one) and the upgrade to Merv axles and RPM a-arms. New out the box I broke an axle in 2 days, than another in 10 minutes. Now its been bulletproof for me.
    Rustler VXL
    T-Maxx 3.3
    1/16 Summit VXL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_rocks View Post
    The Summit has become my favorite r/c out of my collection. That is after the esc replacement from Traxxas (stopping & cogging issues with new out the box one) and the upgrade to Merv axles and RPM a-arms. New out the box I broke an axle in 2 days, than another in 10 minutes. Now its been bulletproof for me.
    Added to my list now is RPM axle carriers. I broke a stock one riding it as shown in the video above. It was actually a good thing the RPM axle carriers are way better than stock, and they take any slop out of the wheels.
    Rustler VXL
    T-Maxx 3.3
    1/16 Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    So if i got a brushed version could i put a 1/10th motor on it? say a mamba monster or somthing?... I have a 1/10th summit would this 1/16th be at all fun for me or would it just be lame? i was thinking the 1/16th for my trailer to pull behind my summit. Tell me what you think please
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by boston2612 View Post
    So if i got a brushed version could i put a 1/10th motor on it? say a mamba monster or somthing?... I have a 1/10th summit would this 1/16th be at all fun for me or would it just be lame? i was thinking the 1/16th for my trailer to pull behind my summit. Tell me what you think please
    Well watch the video I posted above, it shows the type of fun you can have with a 1/16 Summit. Honestly if I could do it over I would buy a MERV since I am already running MERV axles, a-arms, and axle carriers in order to make it stronger.
    Rustler VXL
    T-Maxx 3.3
    1/16 Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    If i buy a MERV could i make it have the same ground clearance as the mini summit?
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Enthusiast
    You can buy a ken block and make it a grave digger if you wanted. It's all the same with different hats

RC Enthusiast
    if you get the merv leave the rockers on and just change the tires dont get the summit rockers cause it puts to much of a sever angle on the shafts and the break but yes that is what i have done and it is sick with summit tires

RC Enthusiast
    Agreed summit tires are great! Larger and lighter than others of closer size. But they are thin between the tread, pulled a summit strait from a box ran it ten minutes and the two right side tires shredded. Two more runs and the esc cooked and tech support said "yeah they are not made for that kid of speed." " What?! I ran a single nickle metal in it" so we talked about why I pulled a new bone stock truck from its box and fried the esc and shedded two tires because it's geared too fast!?!? Sounds like I need two tires an esc and whatever gearing it should have come with strait from the box. Thank you on your purchase of grenades (should we put a note in here letting them know we pulled the pins?, No they'll figure it out)
    Little help!)

RC Enthusiast
    yws same prob not wid the tires though but every thing fried motor esc servo gone bb now and wow the difference