RC Racer

This is what happens to your lipo battery when your setting on charger

This was my friends doing, I take no responsibility....

It was a 2s, charger was programmed for a 3s...battery started hissing, placed in a trash can outside, few minutes later it started on fire. ENJOY and BE SAFE!
    Last edited by jfrank05; 03-09-2012 at 11:37 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Says content is unavailable

What charger was he using?

My Skycharger won't even start charging if not set correctly

RC Racer
    try again I originally had it on facebook, then realized you needed his friend request, its on youtube now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Zlv4wv24jHg

It was a Onyx 235 Charger

RC Racer
    I'll take "why I don't want to go lipo" for $1000 please Alex.

RC Racer
    Snake my charger is the same way also it's a good idea to always charge in a fireproof bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Crappy charger. Dont go cheap on the chargers guys. Mine does a battery check first and if anything is not correct it wont charge
    Stampede VXL 4x4:

MIP Shafts and more....

That is weird. I the cheap charger I had would detect how many cells a Lipo had and charged appropriately. My expensive charger, you have to program the battery in before you use it. If the battery doesn't match what you put in, it wont turn on. Your charger must be just craps! What kind is it, so i dont accidentally buy one?
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    i use the hitech x4 ac/dc charger and love it... easy to use ... i was skeptical at first about going to lipos but since i got the hang of it ... i love my lipos ... but now seeing this makes me even more cautious when i charge them... wow... i also have a onyx 245 charger ... i have to make sure i set that one right as well... wow is all i can say

Quote Originally Posted by DalEfan3 View Post
    I'll take "why I don't want to go lipo" for $1000 please Alex.
    No battery is idiot-proof, that goes double for LiPos, but they can be charged safely if you take precautions and you select the proper settings on your charger. Will say that LiPos do decide to go nuclear from time-to-time with not real reason, but it is not common...

Here is an extreme failure...

http://youtu.be/ZUPh9w2enBA
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Is an onyx 235 a cheap charger? What's a good charger?

RC Champion
    LiPos never just blow up randomly. Only if there's an accident with them or you treat them wrong. NiMh batteries can explode too, and unlike LiPos, which usually just smoke or burn (unless overcharged, which is your own fault generally), they have a nice frag grenade effect to them.
    @Greatscott: that also was the fault of the owner.. using a softcase lipo in cars is not recommended in the first place, and having a screw digging into the lipo.. downright stupid.
    Last edited by Arakon; 03-11-2012 at 11:55 AM.

RC Qualifier
    There was a time when Lipos were first introduced that they were considered hazardous, mostly due to people not understanding the need to keep them in between 3v-4.2V per cell, balancing cells, and so on. They were expensive, and while they had a lot of capacity, discharge ratings were low, and easily exceeded by some motor setups. Instructions with the new LiPo batteries were also few and far between, and unless you bought a Lipo specific charger with instructions(assuming an average person would know they needed a specific charger), or had someone to tell you the basic ins an outs of them, there was a good chance you would kill or cook one. Low voltage and auto cell detection ESCs were pretty rare, there was a TON of misinformation, and many packs weren't built as well as they are now.

Times have changed, everyone probably has at least a couple Lipos that they charge and use outside of the RC hobby, and they seldom if ever cause fires, laptops, cameras, cell phones, cordless tools, and many others. RC Lipos are also widespread enough that LiPo specific hardware/software like LVC and cell detection on ESCs, LiPo charging software and balancer equipped chargers are common, and it is commonly understood they are needed. What causes fires is the gelled solvents in the cells, it is this flammable chemical that heats up and smokes or combusts when the pack is short circuited, punctured, over discharged, or overcharged. Most LiPo chargers detect cell count through the collective voltage, or balance port, but being some voltages can overlap (charged 5 cell is 21v, completely discharged 6 cell is 18v) some chargers show the detected cell count, but won't stop you from setting and charging the wrong count, even though they usualy warn you, and display the detected count beforehand. With a decent charger set properly, a LVC and cell detecting ESC, and hard cell cases where sharp debris or impacts are an issue LiPos are very safe.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arakon View Post
    ... using a softcase lipo in cars is not recommended in the first place
    ..Says who?

RC Qualifier
    I am not sure if this case is the fault of the charger. I use onyx 245, and when plug in, it shows you the current voltage, then you set it up to lipo, and charge rating. If 2 cells, it charges the batt to 8.4V, and 3 cells charge up to 12.6V and stops, signals you with sound that charge is complete. It's very simple and easy to use charger, and I guess the onyx 235 is similar.

RC Racer
    yes the problem was, he was trying to charge the battery and leave it in the car, and some how confused another battery and plugged it in, instead, causing the charging settings to differ. But the onyx 235 has programmable features, that showcases the charging settings and finished sound. He has recently built a fireproof box just in case

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    ..Says who?
    Says anyone who had a bent/crushed LiPo due to chassis bending or hard nose dives, or a punctured one by little sharp rocks getting into the battery box.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Says anyone who had a bent/crushed LiPo due to chassis bending or hard nose dives, or a punctured one by little sharp rocks getting into the battery box.
    If you crash hard enough to bend the chassis, which in transfers enough force to the pack that it also bends, you most likely will have many additional issues to worry on top of any possible battery pack damage. As for little sharp stones, why not plan ahead and dump them out after every run. Either way MANY people run there RC vehicles powered by soft-case LiPo packs and never have a problem.

RC poster
    jfrank,
    I tried to duplicate your problem today and everytime I did I got a cell message error and flashing lights/warning buzzer during the self test before charging. If he really charged it with the wrong settings, I would give onyx a call and see what they will do. I have two of the same model chargers and have had great luck with them, they are a good quality charger, definetly not cheap-look at the retail price!. I would bet the problem was with the battery, but would try to duplicate it to be sure there's not something wrong with your unit. My chargers would not charge the battery if they were set wrong.
    good luck, mfr422

RC Racer
    mfr422: okay will do, I know I have accidentally forgot to plug in the balance plug for it once, and it beeped at me, So ill have to run some tests. I didn't think it was a cheap charger. Thanks for the response

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    If you crash hard enough to bend the chassis, which in transfers enough force to the pack that it also bends, you most likely will have many additional issues to worry on top of any possible battery pack damage. As for little sharp stones, why not plan ahead and dump them out after every run. Either way MANY people run there RC vehicles powered by soft-case LiPo packs and never have a problem.
    I got 4 deformed softcase LiPos here that look this way due to chassis flex in the e-revo and hard frontal hits after jumps. This is without damage to the truck, mind you. Took a load of padding to prevent that from happening again. If you saw a good slowmotion video of just how much these trucks flex and bend when jumping, you'd be amazed.
    As for the sharp stones, of course they are dumped out after running, but that's 25 minutes of running with stones under or next to the battery.
    Last edited by Arakon; 03-14-2012 at 03:45 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I got 4 deformed softcase LiPos here that look this way due to chassis flex in the e-revo and hard frontal hits after jumps. This is without damage to the truck, mind you. Took a load of padding to prevent that from happening again. If you saw a good slowmotion video of just how much these trucks flex and bend when jumping, you'd be amazed.
    As for the sharp stones, of course they are dumped out after running, but that's 25 minutes of running with stones under or next to the battery.
    I'm sorry, but I do not believe that chassis flexes enough over the length of the battery bay to deform soft-case LiPo packs to the point of failure. Under any type of "normal" RC use, it just doesn't happen.
    As for the stones, put some tape over the vent holes and problem solved.

RC Champion
    You should never run a lipo in a battery compartment without dense foam padding to take up any open space around the lipo anyway...particularly on vehicles as fast as we're running....as for rocks and stuff, that's never been a problem for my cells, they get scuffed up pretty good but no real damage aside from cosmetic.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

IDK...I did this to an FLM 'Pede chassis and the battery was fine.

Of course, it took severe abuse to do this, so all bets are off when one is being stupid enough to perform the equivalent of dropping an RC vehicle out of a 3rd or 4th story window. I've never seen E-Revo battery damage that was not attributable to extreme lateral impacts or sliding movement in the battery bay.
    Can we see some pics of the claimed damage?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mfr422 View Post
    jfrank,
    I tried to duplicate your problem today and everytime I did I got a cell message error and flashing lights/warning buzzer during the self test before charging. If he really charged it with the wrong settings, I would give onyx a call and see what they will do. I have two of the same model chargers and have had great luck with them, they are a good quality charger, definetly not cheap-look at the retail price!. I would bet the problem was with the battery, but would try to duplicate it to be sure there's not something wrong with your unit. My chargers would not charge the battery if they were set wrong.
    good luck, mfr422
    I tried duplicating the results, and the charger beeped back at me on all 3 of the settings programmed....so I have no idea what happened. (the battery was a hard case)

RC poster
    jfrank,
    I'd say it mujst have been the battery then, good to know your charger wasn't messed up!

RC Racer
    ok found out what he did.....He didn't connect the battery balance connector and had the wrong settings, causing the charger to not run the balancing check.

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking he didnt have the balancer hooked up. That is user error. My Onyx chargers have been flawless (235 and 245)
    Traxxas gone bye bye!