RC Enthusiast

rear wheels have alot of tow in.

I put a set of dirt hawgs and now have a lot toe in. How do I fix / correct this?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Thread both pillow balls either in or out to adjust toe.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Technically speaking putting different tires or wheels on will not effect alignment. It just makes the misalignment you already have more noticeable. But if you adjust top and bottom pillow balls on left and right in, it will make the toe go in. Etc....
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC Enthusiast
    those are adjustable, are they supposed to be all the way in or not completely?? Well that's cool,because I was going to upgrade to adjustable pushrods. Will alloy hub carriers get rid of most of the wobble? Where are these steel hollow balls supposed to go instead of plastic? The manual is not very helpful and this is NO savage,let me tell you now. The rig is not wanting to track straight down the road at higher speeds, plus it wants pull to one side or the other under throttle when the front wheels come off the ground. I have rebuilt my shocks and counted the pre-load turns. It really wants to skate all of the place, and is real squirrely. Bad part is it's only 2weeks old.
    Last edited by Realsickclown; 06-15-2014 at 08:07 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    is there a video of how to fix/mod this?

Alloy knuckles will get rid of most of the slop.
    Steel hollow balls go in place of the black plastic hollow balls in the tie and push rods.

I doubt there is a video showing how to adjust the pillow balls... all that is done is sticking an Allen through the wheel into the access hole of the knuckle and then in.o the pillow ball itself. Threading both adjusts toe, threading one or the other adjusts camber. Keep in mind you want some toe in.

RC Enthusiast
    let me try and post up a couple photos.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm not having much luck with my stupid smart phone!!!! but any way it is way more than out of the box and loose as a goose in the carriers now. well ok here is the million dollar question............. aluminum or RPM for JUST the KNUCKLES at this point A-arms come later.

RC Qualifier
    I just installed RPM carriers and they are awesome. Took all the slop out. Had to go find a supper small Allen wrench to put caps on though. .5 But I just did the steel hollow balls helped a lot. 7028X
    Last edited by USA1; 06-15-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC Racer
    Pillow Ball video (doesn't show how to adjust them, but just play with them until all is well) :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdgjkAjh1HY
    (watch from about 2:15 into the video. Also, make sure the plastic caps that snap in are all the way down. My rear passenger side one was loose when I got mine. Took me a while to figure out why that wheel was so loose!)

This vid as well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thnz1_DJH1Q

Steel Hollow Balls video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JzHOhip858

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 06-15-2014 at 12:03 PM.

I suggest aluminum knuckles... I ran HR and never had to mess with them again after initial setup. They held their adjustment very well and never allowed the pillow ball to pop through. They also come with the tools needed to install them... so no searching for an ultra-small Allen wrench.

RC Racer
    I run HR aluminum knuckles as well!

RC Enthusiast
    Ok so I have jacked around with the pillow balls. Now under throttle it wants to really skate around. When in wheelie it goes to 1 side.very hard to drive. The rig is 2 wks old and already wore out.

How much toe in did you leave?

RC Enthusiast
    I tried to achieve stock set up .

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys I got it lined up

RC Racer
    Glad you got that dialed in!

RC Enthusiast
    I am also putting an order together and keep seeing ,steering knuckles and then you've got F/R axle carriers and the manual says they are the same part# front&rear. I should be able to get 2 sets of aluminum axle carriers, some new pillow balls, the steering knuckles are a marketing scam correct.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok so is there no difference the knuckles. Why am I seeing some listed as steering knuckles for twice as much?

RC Enthusiast
    so I take it there is zero difference in the knuckles front to rear. If the parts are the same front to back do the steering knuckles have any added benefit? please somebody answer.

RC Enthusiast
    Steering knuckles and axle carriers should be the same part (i say "should" because I have no idea where you're looking for this information. If you can post the links that confuse you, we could help) Most people on this forum use both terms but they mean the same thing.
    The Traxxas part # 7034 has 4 axle carriers (2 for each side). The front left can be used on the rear left and viceversa, but neither can be used on the right.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlora View Post
    The front left can be used on the rear left and viceversa, but neither can be used on the right.

Huh? All four are the same, you just flip em.
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by photon_trap View Post
    Huh? All four are the same, you just flip em.
    You can flip them, but you would have the screw threaded from underneath the knuckle, hence, it could fall out easier. That's the only downside I've noticed

RC Enthusiast
    so there is ZERO difference in the knuckles front to back??? So what are the steering knuckles, the same ??Does anybody know if there is an advantage to using steering knuckles. is it just a play on words and trying to hustle kids who know no better?

RC Qualifier
    no one's trying to hustle anyone. I think u need to re-read what's been posted in this thread

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlora View Post
    You can flip them, but you would have the screw threaded from underneath the knuckle, hence, it could fall out easier. That's the only downside I've noticed
    Does not mater. It you are relying on gravity's influence to keep the screws in something is terribly wrong.