RC Competitor

12MM hex's on XO-1 axles

Just finished up my XO-1 axle upgrade and thought that I would share what I had to do to make it work with 12mm hex's. It still retains the stock width and cost was not that bad, I did the whole upgrade for about 130 bucks.
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...1036Medium.jpg
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...1038Medium.jpg
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...1040Medium.jpg
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...1042Medium.jpg
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...1041Medium.jpg

Any questions just ask, it can be done. If you use the Traxxas XO-1 17mm hex's it is going to push the track width out and you might have body clearance problems. This mod keeps everything at stock width and seems to work very well. I will go to the local track this weekend and put it to the test, may even run some 3s packs through it to punish it a little.

RC Enthusiast
    looks good

RC Racer
    finally some x01 shafts running stock width with some sc tires. Hate the wide stance with those 17mm adapters. These aren't monster trucks.
    From parts UNKNOWN

RC Champion
    So you just drilled out the 12mm hex to accept the 6mm axle ?

Is everthing else a direct fit ?

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    I feel one of this trucks greatest assets is its versatility! It can be what ever you want. If you used buggy rims you would be within a couple mm of stock, very easy to accomplish with the 17mm hardware. I bet i could come up with a common run buggy set up that would be both, sc track ready and legal width. It's all in your time and willingness to get it done. This thread is a fine example to both! Good work Dino1! Looking forward to hearing how it does.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-09-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Competitor
    Tekno 12mm hex's and I had to modify them to go a little deeper on the cross pins. The cross pins are 3/32 roll pins that had to be ground down to the proper length, and they had to be pressed in, or should I say a small tack hammer had to drive them in. It was not all that hard to do.

RC Qualifier
    So even though the Tekno hexes were 6mm axle type you still had to mod them to fit?

And these driveshafts can telescope easily, so the Protrac kit isn't a hassle right?
    SSC SLASH 4X4

The hex pin in a Split Slider axle is much bigger than the normal size, stock pin.. Also, the traxxas SS CVD'S will come up very short with protrac arms. Nothing you would want to attempt to try.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    The hex pin in a Split Slider axle is much bigger than the normal size, stock pin.. Also, the traxxas SS CVD'S will come up very short with protrac arms. Nothing you would want to attempt to try.
    Ooh, I wasn't hoping for that response...

Maybe T-Maxx 2.5 driveshafts/axles? Those are 6mm and will probably reach for protrac arms and can be used with the Tekno hubs for extra adjustability. Or Tekno needs some longer dogbones for their CVA's...
    SSC SLASH 4X4

Tekno carriers are a great option, very tunable, durable, and oversized bearing are nice! I did a thread about matching Tekno hardware with the XO1 SSCVD'S. DINO1, feel free to add your pix and description to thread if you like. This is exactly what i would like to see added, options with cost and savings in mind while still getting these cool set of shafts in there lol
    Im more than sure maxx shafts could be used for protrac. Proline's been quick to mention, MIP's 2wd HD shafts are just right for their protrac upgrade., its there recommendation that you use them if your pushing more than stock power. Also stock shafts should work well with protrac if your running a smooth slipper and stock motor with 2s. Here's the thread about Tekno/XO1 combined
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...tock-and-tekno

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by indy34096 View Post
    Ooh, I wasn't hoping for that response...

Maybe T-Maxx 2.5 driveshafts/axles? Those are 6mm and will probably reach for protrac arms and can be used with the Tekno hubs for extra adjustability. Or Tekno needs some longer dogbones for their CVA's...
    you can use mip xduty cvds with the protrac kit with the addition of 4 of these mip#11105
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Competitor
    Parts needed to do this mod.

6) 6X11X4 bearings from Boca $24.00

4) 3/32 roll pins less than a buck from local hardware store

1) Tekno aluminum 12MM hex kit $18.00

1) XO-1 axle kit front and rear $90.00

The cross pin hole on the axle is move out a little further on the XO stub, you have to make the receiver groove in the hex deeper and wider to accept the 3/32 size roll pins.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...1039Medium.jpg

You will also have to drill out the center hole in your wheel to 15/64th so that it will slip over the thicker stub, then you can use your exhisting wheel nuts to bolt them on. This was an easy mod to do, it took more work trying to figure out what hex's to use. I have another set of hex's comeing, they are rear hex's for a SC10 conversion, but these might make the wheels move out a couple of millimeters. When I get them I will post the results.

RC Champion
    That looks really good
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Competitor
    Ran two 3s packs through it bashing it pretty hard in the back yard today, everything is holding up nice. went through and checked to make sure all the grub screws were still tight and I was not getting any wheel slop. To the track tomorrow. I really like this TORO motor ESC combo as well.