Thread: Hot Motor

RC Enthusiast

Hot Motor

Hi Guys

I am running 2S 5200 Team Orion Lipo on 18/54 gearing. I am also using a cover for the E Revo Brushless in order to reduce cleaning effort.

Happy with the speed but the motor is hot at about 94 deg C or 207F at the end of the run. I am just running the Erevo on tarmac carpark. I was thinking it could be my temp gauge is not calibrated properly. Assuming my temp guage is correct, what can i do to reduce the temp? Is the castle creation blower effective?

I also got some battery questions. If the battery stops charging at 4.18, 4.20 is this acceptable? I am charging at 2.0A only. When charge at storage, both cells showing same number at 3.85. For my 2S battery, I also notice that when I charge them at storage after my run, the battery is showing 3.55 3.56 and 3.40, 3.42. I thot that 1 of the battery was weak. However the following week when I run and charge at storage again, the "weak" battery was showing up as 3.55 3.56 while the other battery was 3.41 3.42. Does the Erevo draw power evenly?

I also got a 3S battery and it finished charging at 4.15, 4.17, 4.18 at 2.0A. Battery already damage? If i continue to use it on the Erevo, any issue?

Thanks all for your advise.

RC Enthusiast
    Forget to mention that all batteries are balance charge all the time.

RC Competitor
    What c battery?

RC Champion
    I don't like seeing my motors top 180f so 207 is way too hot for me....thats getting hot enough to damage the motor.

I would lose the cover...with your gearing and voltage you should really never see temps higher than 180 max so something is makeing your motor get hotter than it needs too and the cover is the most likely culprit.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    ALso what tires are you running?

RC Champion
    Why do your series packs drain unequally? IDK but it has been questioned before. I can't find the(RCM) thread though. I would Bump your LVC up 3.4v per cell(if possible). It looks like you may have slightly over discharged your lipos if they are resting at 3.4v a cell. When you over discharge your lipo to 3.2v and below the cell balance goes first.

Your individual cell readings all look good. Your cell checker has a +/- .03v accuracy it's not perfect, then add that to your balancer inaccuracy. I say your pretty close if you ask me.

Motors cost more than ESCs take the cover off and chance getting your esc wet instead of cooking your motor for sure. Gear down and leave the cover on or just stay inside on wet days.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi all
    Thanks for the reply.

2S battery rated at 40C
    3S rated at 20C

Stock tires on when running on 4S or 6S.

I will take out the cover the run again for some comparison. Just need to do more cleaning i supposed

Thanks all for the advise.

RC Qualifier
    I just tried the CC blower.... Significant decrease in temps.

RC Enthusiast
    Do you have the model number and instruction on how to install it? Any modification required for the blower to draw power?

Thanks!

RC Champion
    The cc blower is a pretty straight forward instal. You plug it into your reciver and clip it on the motor. They include wire ties to keep it on the motor.

RC Qualifier
    Like bentrocker said...It's super easy and self explanatory. Just put it on the motor and plug it in to any open slot in the receiver.

the fan motor is a band-aid for proper gearing jmho.. might just need to take the cover off, for more air flow.. air compressor or leaf blower for clean up.
    I'm with Bob set the LVC 3.4 or 3.5...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??