RC Competitor

VXL Motor Temps with Trenchers

Hey guys! I finally got my P4DE up and running with a warranty replacement VXL system. It works great now (no more cogging issues), but I have found after running through a 2s pack that my motor temps were up at 180F and ESC was around 150F. I'm currently running 11/54 gearing, but I do have trenchers all around (not taped - I'm fine with the ballooning). The outside temps were around 50F.

Do the trenchers really cause that much heat due to their size/weight/ballooning? Everything else is stock and nothing is binding. I rarely hit top speed with this combo and I'm wondering if I need to gear down even further? Let me know what you think.
    Slash 4x4 (LCG/Sidewinder 8th/XO-1 Axles), SC10 RS

RC Racer
    I have trenchers and mine is fine. Plus they shouldnt ballon that much on 2 cell
    Stampede VXL 4x4:

MIP Shafts and more....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    How tight is the gear meshed. If its to tight (constant resistance) it will ramp the temps up significantly. I try to set the gears together so the just make full contact. Its not necessary to have a tight mesh with this pitch, if that's the case with yours. Make sure the truck can get pushed and roll freely across your driveway for example. Or when you let of the throttle, you should get a fair amount of coasting without seeing its resistance or slowing from the tight mesh.

Yes trenchers could cause a bit of change. Softer compound, ballooning, both contribute to your heat. The motor works harder pushing the truck when its got a good grip rather than less resistance from tire spin. Also a bit of ballooning can be like adding tether to the gears. The more it balloons, the more geared up. Its a constant changing variable. Taping can help "control" that affect and make gearing for all around use much easier from lack of change in its size under most speeds. You can gain about 15 back with a sink/fan combo, maybe more. I had a 15-20 difference with mine.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Competitor
    I've checked the mesh a couple times. I have plenty of gap to ensure no binding. The truck rolls just fine while coasting... no binding at all. I'm just surprised these tires cause that much heat. It seems like a lot of other people are running higher pinion sizes with trenchers, but maybe they all have 2400kV motors Maybe I'll try a 10T or 9T pinion with the 54T spur.

Anyone else have experience with the stock VXL and trenchers?
    Slash 4x4 (LCG/Sidewinder 8th/XO-1 Axles), SC10 RS

RC Competitor
    Yeah I bash alot mainly. Just switching to 2s from stock nimh rises heat a bit on stock tires. Esc fan is a must and a good heatsink/fan combo helps alot. I cant run through a full 5000mah pack without my fans. THERMAL SHUTOFF

RC Competitor
    I have a stock system with a traxxas 2s 5800 and 2.8 trenchers. I tried to put in the higher speed gear that came with my truck today for more wheel spin in the snow but now I have bad cogging. Any ideas?

RC Enthusiast
    Do you mind explaining your cogging issue I chalked mine up to using a 14t pinion gear but as you say that mine does it a fair amount as well. Sorry to hijack.

RC Competitor
    Well if u pin it it jerks 2 to 4 times than takes off ballooning tires. It does go across the snow better

This sounds like a case of amp lag. The esc draws (tries to anyway) ____ amps, but the c rating (amount of capable discharge) isn't up to par for that gearing. Change your gears! This is a lipo killer! You will over amp the pack, soon causing it to puff up.

Sounds like you are asking way to much from your vxl setup so like the guys have said gear down to a 10 or 9t pinion or get a battery with a higher c rating.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    well i did order 2 50c 3s packs but they wont be here till tommrow. with the higher c rating it should quit cogging and have better wheel speed?

What brand did you buy? Not all lipo c ratings ar legit. Don't forget that your temps will go up with 3s, a considerable amount. You'll want to be using something like 9t-10t pinion, the higher voltage pack (3s) will make it quite a bit faster. You can gear down and possibly gain speed depending on what the temps dictate. We'll see what you end up with, let us know.
    For now, I would say drop some teeth. Even if you feed it the amps it needs (this solved your cogging problem), your gonna gain heat so cog-no cog, heats gonna be your issue with this gear set. Raising the voltage isn't the issue here, gearing is, so less strain= less amp draw= less cogging and less heat.

RC Enthusiast
    I run 2.8 trenchers and a beefy 3S 6400mAh battery. I have a heatsink and fan on both motor and ESC (stock VXL system). Got too hot with 11/54 but 9t pinion is great, only gets warm to the touch, and still plenty fast for offroad bashing! I wouldn't want to run LiPOs without at least a heatsink on the motor, and preferably a fan, especially with trenchers or similar. My favourite online hobby shop sells heatsinks and fans cheaply.

RC Competitor
    I ordered spc lipos. I will have to change my gear back down to stock. I just thought that it would take less power in the snow
    But I guess I was wrong. I do have fans on esc and motor but they are not water proof so I unplug them

If you still have trouble with heat, after changing gears, remember, your way up there in tire size. So slapping some mashers or badlands on would drop temps, and get have you throwing snow all over. Just an option.....
    I think I ran 13/54 with a 3800 and it was warm on 3s so not to sure about the vxl/3s/trenchers deal. But I got my fingers crossed for ya.

RC Enthusiast
    Taller gearing and more traction means the motor draws more amps, making more heat, requiring more cooling to keep the stock VXL system happy. The trenchers bring both taller gearing and more traction already over the stock wheels and tyres, so some allowance for this by dropping a pinion tooth is probably a good idea.

I'm very happy with 9/54 with trenchers and 3s 65-130C LiPO (plus motor & esc cooling) but I think it'd probably still be ok with 9/52 or 50, or possibly even 10/54. I've left it as 9/54 mainly because I value the punchy acceleration, which is well suited to my jumping-on-gravel bashing style. Your needs may vary!
    Last edited by cragv; 12-23-2012 at 10:11 PM.

RC Competitor
    My new lipos showed up today 3s 50c 5400 spc. What a difference in wheel speed. Went back to stock 11 tooth. Outside temp is around -8 f so no problem with motor temps but my rpm front bumper shattered when it met my snowmobile at speed. How
    Much ballooning will these trenchers take?

RC Racer
    Trenchers should not be heavier than Talons. I'm not sure where that came from.

And in those pics the Trenchers are brand new whereas the Talons have considerable wear, so new Talons are probably even heavier.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeC25 View Post
    I've checked the mesh a couple times. I have plenty of gap to ensure no binding. The truck rolls just fine while coasting... no binding at all. I'm just surprised these tires cause that much heat. It seems like a lot of other people are running higher pinion sizes with trenchers, but maybe they all have 2400kV motors Maybe I'll try a 10T or 9T pinion with the 54T spur.

Anyone else have experience with the stock VXL and trenchers?
    Yes. I like to run hard on a short oval track and after burning up several motors and ESC's even with 9/54 gearing and NiMH batteries, I've finally found the combo that works great. I'm running 3S Lipo with 13/54 gearing. Traxxas fan on the ESC. Dual Integy fans w/heatsink on the motor. I still check, but it usually only gets warm now. Much, Much cooler, and I've replaced the Trenchers with big 3.2" 17MM hex Masher type tread tires on Revolver rims. It will do about 50 mph when I take it on to asphalt, but I generally run 99% off road, gravel, dirt, grass, etc.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    Yes. I like to run hard on a short oval track and after burning up several motors and ESC's even with 9/54 gearing and NiMH batteries, I've finally found the combo that works great. I'm running 3S Lipo with 13/54 gearing. Traxxas fan on the ESC. Dual Integy fans w/heatsink on the motor. I still check, but it usually only gets warm now. Much, Much cooler, and I've replaced the Trenchers with big 3.2" 17MM hex Masher type tread tires on Revolver rims. It will do about 50 mph when I take it on to asphalt, but I generally run 99% off road, gravel, dirt, grass, etc.
    Glad it's working properly. I'd have thought taller gearing (13/54 instead of 9/54) would be hotter rather than cooler as the motor pulls more current during acceleration in this configuration.

I'm running 9/54 but am considering making my gearing taller as I have more acceleration than I can use and heat isn't a problem at all currently. Top speed as measured by gps is 45.3km/h, so a little extra top end would be welcome too. Reading my earlier posts in this thread, I realise things have already improved since I changed to a different heatsink and better motor fan. I've also realised that I have more acceleration than I can ever use on 3s with this gearing. Experimentation is required! We'll see how it goes, I guess!
    Last edited by cragv; 12-27-2012 at 06:12 PM.

RC Racer
    I run that same setup, 11 tooth pinion with a 54 tooth spur, trenchers, along with a 3s 25c lipo. Without any heat sinks I was running 110 deg on the ESC and 180 deg on the motor. With both fans running and a ambient temp of 45-55 deg Im now running 80 deg on the ESC and 140-150 deg on the motor. This is hard running, off road, grass, hills etc. I have only been running for 2 months but that is what I have experienced.

Andrew

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAD View Post
    I run that same setup, 11 tooth pinion with a 54 tooth spur, trenchers, along with a 3s 25c lipo. Without any heat sinks I was running 110 deg on the ESC and 180 deg on the motor. With both fans running and a ambient temp of 45-55 deg Im now running 80 deg on the ESC and 140-150 deg on the motor.
    Nice, thanks Andrew. I'm going to run 11/54 as well and will report back with temps.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAD View Post
    I run that same setup, 11 tooth pinion with a 54 tooth spur, trenchers, along with a 3s 25c lipo. Without any heat sinks I was running 110 deg on the ESC and 180 deg on the motor. With both fans running and a ambient temp of 45-55 deg Im now running 80 deg on the ESC and 140-150 deg on the motor. This is hard running, off road, grass, hills etc. I have only been running for 2 months but that is what I have experienced.

Andrew
    Hey AZ,
    I get similar temps under those conditions but I've got the Traxxas ESC fan and Integy dual fans w/heat sink on the motor. That way I get those temps on 3S Lipo but with 13/54 gearing which is a lot faster of course.

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    If you still have trouble with heat, after changing gears, remember, your way up there in tire size. So slapping some mashers or badlands on would drop temps, and get have you throwing snow all over. Just an option.....
    I think I ran 13/54 with a 3800 and it was warm on 3s so not to sure about the vxl/3s/trenchers deal. But I got my fingers crossed for ya.
    I forgot to mention, this is Pavmentsurfer's vid from a couple years back...not mine.

RC Enthusiast
    At 11/54, I just ran my full 3S pack on jumps and gravel with ambient temperature of 26 deg C and motor topped out at 55 deg C after the hardest continuous run. Happy with this combo for now

Another thing you can do is the mad max mod as i call it by drilling holes in the windshield to let more cool air into the truck to keep the motor and esc happy ....peace

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Another thing you can do is the mad max mod as i call it by drilling holes in the windshield to let more cool air into the truck to keep the motor and esc happy ....peace
    Or you could cut a scoop in the bonnet (hood) for better looks and probably better airflow.

I like to mod up my own hood scoops lol, and it does improve airflow!

I cut the hood open, cut a few different trx alloy camber link packages up, then double stick or zero tape it together.

I've even down a ram air style once with tubing to direct the flow straight to the motor.

RC Enthusiast
    Ah that's awesome, I'm totally doing it. Tubing direct to motor is a great idea too. Thanks for the inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by cragv View Post
    Or you could cut a scoop in the bonnet (hood) for better looks and probably better airflow.
    I tried that and it worked but not as good as the mad max mod that i use now because i have 8 holes well spaced in the windshield about 1.1cm big and because of the angle of the windshield the cold air goes straight on to my esc and motor and then out the back of the truck....peace