RC Qualifier

do you run your gear cover?

I toasted my new slipper today.. 2 pads came off and i was not aware until it was slipping more than normal. I would have cought it maybe sooner if i had the cover off.. Do any of you run with no cover?

No but how did they come off...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    not really sure. I am wondering if they cracked and came off.. Trying to decide if something is tweeked..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Absolutely I run the cover....

Although it probably doesn't do much... I run 32 pitch gears uncovered on the Slash. I've got a significant amount of mileage under my belt with both trucks, and the Slash doesn't seem to mind uncovered gears. It seems spur gear life is more in the mesh and slipper setting.

RC Qualifier
    kind of where i am at with it. I ran 32P on my rustler in sandy conditions and had no problems with it.. I guess for the couple dollars it cost, i am going to give it a go.. i can see it helping keep stuff out of the extra motor mounting holes though

RC Champion
    I dont run my truck in areas that require it, and so far it has not been missed. The places i would want it would be through fields of hay or in sandy areas.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Champion
    I run with my cover on....all it would take is one pebble the right size to land on top of where the gears mesh and get pulled through and you'de have a snapped motor shaft or torn up spur. I would be less worried if I ran onroad all the time though. A slipper coming apart like that is pretty unusual and probably due to a part failure.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
    all it would take is one pebble the right size to land on top of where the gears mesh and get pulled through and you'de have a snapped motor shaft or torn up spur.
    I disagree.... the 32 pitch gears are pretty resistant to foreign debris.

On the ERBE I mostly run it to contain gear noise... I doubt the spur gear life is extended at all by running the cover. When I blow a spur its typically from over use, heat gets to it and I strip it... or I set the mesh too loose...

RC Racer
    We get sand embedded in the E Maxx open spur. There have been times when it got nicked up fron a pebble. I run the erbe with the cover on.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    I disagree.... the 32 pitch gears are pretty resistant to foreign debris.

On the ERBE I mostly run it to contain gear noise... I doubt the spur gear life is extended at all by running the cover. When I blow a spur its typically from over use, heat gets to it and I strip it... or I set the mesh too loose...
    well, I've snapped a motor shaft before running with the cover off because a small object (don't know what) got pulled into the gear and something had to give so that's why I run with my cover on.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    well, I've snapped a motor shaft before running with the cover off because a small object (don't know what) got pulled into the gear and something had to give so that's why I run with my cover on.
    Thats impressive... hasn't happened to me, but I suppose it only takes once to learn the lesson.

RC Qualifier
    well, i think the answer for me is, I'll run it off in my yard to check things out. I'll run it on when bashing in dirt.

RC Racer
    Nope, never have never will.... although I should!

RC Competitor
    What are you gaining by not running it?

It weighs nothing and only has 1 screw to put it on so i use it anyway. I run in sand and my spur gets grains of sand stuck to it with it on.
    WHO NEEDS NITRO WHEN THERES LIPO!

RC Racer
    I dont run it because i use the double motor mount which takes a lot of beating during rollovers/fliips....which is what I want it to do. The double cover would probably break off.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by REVOlve View Post
    What are you gaining by not running it?

It weighs nothing and only has 1 screw to put it on so i use it anyway. I run in sand and my spur gets grains of sand stuck to it with it on.
    since my paint has pretty much all flaked off the lid, i can see the slipper then when running it.. I bought this truck used and the old slipper on it was bad and had similar wear marks on the center part where the 2 alum halves meet. Makes me wonder if there is something going on. The spur also looks like the teeth are wearing on an angle. I am wondering if my motor mount is bent slightly and wearing it funny.. .may have been from the slipper break yesterday...
    All in all I want an easier time looking at the spurn when running for now. If i am in sandy or rock areas instead of my grassy yard, i'll throw it back on... seems that makes the most sense from the replies.
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steveski4 View Post
    I dont run it because i use the double motor mount which takes a lot of beating during rollovers/fliips....which is what I want it to do. The double cover would probably break off.
    any gain from running the DBL mount?

RC Racer
    Yes, i think so, it is stiffer because it is larger, and it takes the beating vs the motor or wiring during flips/rollovers

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    since my paint has pretty much all flaked off the lid, i can see the slipper then when running it.. I bought this truck used and the old slipper on it was bad and had similar wear marks on the center part where the 2 alum halves meet. Makes me wonder if there is something going on. The spur also looks like the teeth are wearing on an angle. I am wondering if my motor mount is bent slightly and wearing it funny.. .may have been from the slipper break yesterday...
    All in all I want an easier time looking at the spurn when running for now. If i am in sandy or rock areas instead of my grassy yard, i'll throw it back on... seems that makes the most sense from the replies.
    thanks

RC Champion
    thanks

Not sure if the double motor mount he mentioned is the same but I've used two aluminum motor plates sandwiched together on mine since day one....makes the spur to pinion mesh much more consistent since the motor mount can't flex nearly as easily as it does with a single motor plate.

with cut out so I can still use my gear cover...just to stay on topic somewhat
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    When i mentioned double I mean the motor mount for the 2 motors vs the single Mamba monster. But, on that note, I just might buy another double mount and put the 2 back to back. A flip or an upside down crash has already bent the top of the mount but with 2 together maybe it would not have bent.
    Using the double motor mount I have not seen any motor flex issues which other seem to have had a problem with.
    So, when using 2 mounts back to back do you just slide the pinion out a little further??

Not sure if the double motor mount he mentioned is the same but I've used two aluminum motor plates sandwiched together on mine since day one....makes the spur to pinion mesh much more consistent since the motor mount can't flex nearly as easily as it does with a single motor plate.

with cut out so I can still use my gear cover...just to stay on topic somewhat
    Last edited by steveski4; 03-08-2012 at 12:46 PM.

RC Competitor
    That double mount looks tough! Nice idea.
    WHO NEEDS NITRO WHEN THERES LIPO!

RC Qualifier
    i like the idea too.
    I thought about seeing if i can find some thick rubber to put between the motor and chassis. I wonder if that in itself would help the flex.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by steveski4 View Post
    When i mentioned double I mean the motor mount for the 2 motors vs the single Mamba monster. But, on that note, I just might buy another double mount and put the 2 back to back. A flip or an upside down crash has already bent the top of the mount but with 2 together maybe it would not have bent.
    Using the double motor mount I have not seen any motor flex issues which other seem to have had a problem with.
    So, when using 2 mounts back to back do you just slide the pinion out a little further??
    I did that over two years ago so forgive me if I leave something out..

- you need all the screws that go through the single motor mount to be 2mm longer.
    - a second stock motor plate of course
    - you have to dremel out a portion of one plate if you want to be able to use the gear cover (see second photo)
    - You have to grind off about 1mm of the fins on the backside of the slipper so they clear the second motor plate.
    - I believe the pinion went on the other way stock so I had to flip it to get the gears to line up.
    -You may need to shave off a bit of the stock rear shock mount. I use a golden horizons shock mount which left about 3mm of clearance, which has been fine.

-ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    in some of my research on slippers, i see there is an option of a kit that has alum pads instead of the composite ones?
    Should i be running those instead?

RC Champion
    in some of my research on slippers, i see there is an option of a kit that has alum pads instead of the composite ones?
    Should i be running those instead?
    I run them, I actually run 6 of them on my Hot racing slipper clutch. They last longer and don't glaze over when they get hot like the fiber pads do. Definitely worth the money imo.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I bet they don't crack like the fibers do... hmmm

RC Competitor
    My e revo I bought new and it came with the aluminum pads

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    i thought the parts manual claimed that.... mine came to me used..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Bought new, came with aluminum pads.