So I'm new to the hobby and did a pretty dumb thing. I have a stock 4x4 ultimate (stock motor, esc and battery) and i decided switching the pinion gear (16T) would be a good idea. I was running the truck in fairly thick grass for about 10 minutes and it shut down. i checked the motor and battery and they both were extremely hot to the touch. i have a traxxas fan on the esc so it didn't seem to be quite as hot as the battery and motor.
I let the truck cool off for an hour or so and tried to recharge the battery. it seemed to take a charge, but, charged for close to an hour (which is not typical). In addition when i put it in the truck, i had steering but no forward/reverse. I was pretty sure at this point i had done an extremely dumb thing and cooked everything. I called traxxas and they're replacing the motor for 40 bucks. Which honestly seems fair since this was my mistake. THey did not seem to think the esc was hurt.
My question is, in your experience do you think i cooked the esc and battery also? The support tech thought it was only the motor, but, i have my doubts that i didn't do more damage. The esc turns on and the red light stays lit.
Thanks for your thoughts.