RC poster

Question Cooked my stock motor

So I'm new to the hobby and did a pretty dumb thing. I have a stock 4x4 ultimate (stock motor, esc and battery) and i decided switching the pinion gear (16T) would be a good idea. I was running the truck in fairly thick grass for about 10 minutes and it shut down. i checked the motor and battery and they both were extremely hot to the touch. i have a traxxas fan on the esc so it didn't seem to be quite as hot as the battery and motor.

I let the truck cool off for an hour or so and tried to recharge the battery. it seemed to take a charge, but, charged for close to an hour (which is not typical). In addition when i put it in the truck, i had steering but no forward/reverse. I was pretty sure at this point i had done an extremely dumb thing and cooked everything. I called traxxas and they're replacing the motor for 40 bucks. Which honestly seems fair since this was my mistake. THey did not seem to think the esc was hurt.

My question is, in your experience do you think i cooked the esc and battery also? The support tech thought it was only the motor, but, i have my doubts that i didn't do more damage. The esc turns on and the red light stays lit.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Do you have another motor you can plug in to it? I would call Traxxas and have it tested if you don't. Better than finding it out after you have a New motor and have to wait another two to three weeks.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC poster
    Gotcha. I don't have another motor so i was wondering if there was some test i could preform to see if it was cooked or not. Thanks for the suggestion.

RC Champion
    save up for the castle 2400 combo, el sob has it and many others, its a great system that runs cooler and can run 4s!
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Qualifier
    Send in both the motor and ESC

Traxxas will test it for free

RC poster
    Great idea, however, my darling wife already sent the motor in. so i'll be calling tonight to see what help they can provide. thanks for all the great suggestions!