RC Enthusiast

Ride height and suspension rebound question........

Hey there- can someone please answer my question in terms of how low the truck should sit after the suspension has compressed? I run the proline shox w stock proline springs in the same holes that the stock shox were placed, it just seems low, and when I press it to the ground all the way, it sits so that the MIP X-Duty shafts are almost pointed downward vs being horizontal with the dirt /road. Unsure if this is the correct height and also unsure if I am bottoming out on every jump....any advice here? Do I need to order the replacement springs for more of a level ride, or should I adjust this via switching holes in the RPM arms in front and back? Thanks for help here fellas!!

You can tighten the adjuster screw and try to get the ride hight you want. If that still isn't high enough they do sell different springs for them.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Enthusiast
    by adjuster screw, are you referring to the collars above the springs on the outside of the proline shocks or something else? appreciate the help El Sob!

RC Qualifier
    It's hard to measure the actual ride height, there is enough friction/stiction that you might have a 1/2" or more variance between the actual dynamic ride height, the height it rebounds to when pushed down, and the height it settles to when set down slowly. I set mine so the front shafts are a hair bit below level, the rear are a hair bit above level. I test it by dropping it from a few inches, then rolling it forwards and backwards by the tire. To see the actual ride height, you need to drive around, and coast to a stop, the drop method gets really close. Bottoming ot after a jump is normal, although it should be manageable, not slamming on the chassis and scraping up the skids, you don't want to bottom out when actually hitting the jump before you get in the air. If the track is fairly smooth, you can increase shock oil weight, increasing pack up (smaller shock piston holes), or possibly increase downtravel by screwing the shock rod end out a couple turns, increasing preload really doesn't do much to help. If you change spring rates, you are not really changing ride height fro the "ideal" setting, you are changing the difference in spring pressure above and below the ride height. With stiffer springs, you use less preload to get the ride height, so there is more spring pressure on compression, and less on extension, lighter springs with more preload do the opposite.
    Last edited by alucard0822; 03-06-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doolz21 View Post
    by adjuster screw, are you referring to the collars above the springs on the outside of the proline shocks or something else? appreciate the help El Sob!
    Yes I am! You can use that to adjust your ride height!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Competitor
    With the proline powerstrokes would bottom the chassis on what I would call moderate hits. I may have had this going on with the stock shocks also.

On some bumps, when the rear bottomed out, it would then kick the rear end up - it could get ugly.

I resolved this by adding some rubber grommets, so that when the suspension is compressed, there is still enough clearance for the chasis not to rub. I have also read that some people resolve this by unscrewing the part threaded onto the piston to increase the lenght of the shock.