RC Racer

Stock slash to Baja

I am going to convert my slash to a Baja bug. Any suggestions on tires for all around bashin and more importantly at the sand dunes? Do I need to have paddles on all 4 or can I run 2 paddles in the back and something else up front? Whats the best set up? Will I also have any gearing issues with stock gearing and running a 2s lipo in the sand?
    Stampede vxl
    Rustler vxl
    Monster Mutt vxl

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Its a 4wd so I would recommend traction on all four corners and more important, all the same size. You don't want different wheels speeds fighting in the diff and drivetrain. That would cause major wear ant tear till something breaks, and quick.
    Also gear down, desert sand will be the highest form of resistance your truck could face, or maybe a close second to water or soupy mud. Paddles, sc or buggy badlands, big 2.8 badland monster tires (my fave) or sand paws.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Racer
    Are you sure it hurts the car that much by running just paddles in the rear??? Cause thats what i have been doing for a while now and I have been fine with it...

Nothing in life is for sure! But 4wd with a a center diff could work without major probs. Is that your set up? It does make a difference that your in sand, its not fighting like it would on the street. But think about it for a second, if your not running a center diff then your drive shaft will push the front and rear equally. Of the front and rear tiers are different, then the spin at different speeds. Where exactly does the extra rotation go expelled? Ahhh, good question. It doesn't. Something is dragging and pushing, pulling, eventually breaking. The damage will be spread through out diff, shafts, tires, motor, excess heat, all kinds of extra wear and tear. If you don't have a center diff in there, the only thing keeping that truck able to run is the sand rather than a hard surface like street. Even a center diff will get torn up with excess wear that way.
    Im not telling you ... im just simply trying to help out so, its entirely your decision.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Its a 4wd so I would recommend traction on all four corners and more important, all the same size. You don't want different wheels speeds fighting in the diff and drivetrain. That would cause major wear ant tear till something breaks, and quick.
    Also gear down, desert sand will be the highest form of resistance your truck could face, or maybe a close second to water or soupy mud. Paddles, sc or buggy badlands, big 2.8 badland monster tires (my fave) or sand paws.
    what do you mean gear down like go rom 18 to 15 or 18 to maybe 20? explain please
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

Gearing sown would be less teeth on the pinion (small metal one) or more teeth on spur (black plastic one). Less teeth on the pinion is much more affective. Do you have a temp gun? This is the best way to tell what's going on with your motor/esc. It will give you facts rather than me saying that I would think it is working very hard. All trucks, the set up, battery, connectors, terrain .... so many variables make each situation different. But in general, stock gearing and soft sand will create quite the hot combo. I'm just trying to help so don't think I'm knocking your truck or jamming up your fun..... honestly, id like to see us all get more from our trucks. Like a long life lol with less repair. That's where im coming from here k.

RC Enthusiast
    dude thats trick