RC Champion

Questions about New Slash 4x4 Ultamite

I am looking at buying a brand new Slash 4x4 Ultimate, and have a question or two.

First off, does it come with the aluminum shock towers, bellcrank, and motor mount? Some of the pics in the gallery how it with and some show it without.

Also, is an aluminum motor mount necessary? Some people say that you absolutely must have it and others are indifferent.

Thanks in advance folks, I'm sure there'll be more to come.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    no on the aluminum shock towers, bellcrank, motor mount. but the knuckles and hubs are aluminum. The king headz motor mount is a good upgrade due to the bigger bearing.
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Champion
    #1. No it does not

#2. Not necessary, with time. Depending as well how much you use your RC and how hard you are on it etc... With time though it will strip and be hard to mesh it and will become impossible, as well the aluminum mount can act as a heatsink and take some of the heat, as well it's solid and you get a great mesh everytime, has a bigger bearing, also recommend the RR or TRX Aluminum Bearing Adapter, no flex. Great upgrade on the mount IMO.

This is on the tower site:

This is the brushless electric powered, 2.4GHz radio controlled, ready to run
    1/10 scale Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate Short Course Racing Truck.
    Installed Platinum Accessories Include;
    Blue anodized aluminum C-Hubs
    Blue anodized aluminum Steering Blocks
    Blue anodized aluminum Rear Hub Carriers
    Blue anodized aluminum Axle Nuts
    Hard anodized teflon coated Big Bore Shocks with titanium nitride shafts
    Front and rear Swaybars with extra stiff Swaybar Set
    S1 compound officially licensed BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A Tires
    Sealed silicone filled Center Diff (installs trackside in just minutes
    replacing the torque control slipper)
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Champion
    Thanks for the info so far guys, that clears things up for me.

As to the aluminum motor mount, is there any downsides to going with a traxxas aluminum one as opposed to a king headz mount?

Would anyone say that all of the aluminum on the ultimate is not needed, and that I should just go with a regular 4x4? I have never had a 4x4 traxxas before, so I'm not really sure on durability.

Also, if I did get the slash, which I am still not sure on, I would be putting in a castle 2400 combo.....if that makes a difference.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    well, the ultimate has big bores too. Those aluminum upgrades that come stock are going to cost more if you purchase them seperatly. Plus with the ultimae, you get a better battery. So id go with the ultimate. And yes, the 2400 castle is the best choice, many people on here have it, 98snakeeater has videos of his running, pretty fast, and they run MUCH cooler.
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Champion
    Or you can go with a Sl4sh PE to save a bit of money if you don't mind painting the body yourself, as well as going without the NimH the Ultimate comes with, and you would also need a TX/RX if you don't have a spare kicking around. I believe thats the difference between the two and the price tag of course, not %100 positive but pretty sure so don't quote me on that :P

I think the aluminum goodies are great upgrades and a lot of people end up upgrading the carriers and castors eventually anyway. Personally I bend the ultra shock shafts way to easy, the big bore shocks are pretty strong for me so far.

I have never used the TRX Aluminum Mount myself so I cannot give a opinion on it.

You would still come out ahead really if you decide to go with a Sl4sh PE and dont have a spare tx/rx. Get one from a Ebay chop shop. $40 or so shipped for a 2.4 TX/RX.

EDIT: I just did notice the Ultimate now comes with the TQi TX and RX. Unless you plan on using and buying all the telemetry etc... No reason to go with it IMHO for $120 more you get the TX/RX, Battery, and Painted Body. Or save $80 and get the TRX 2.4 from the bay.
    Last edited by Stephan81; 03-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Racer
    Maybe you can find a new ultimate roller on ebay. You say your gonna put in a 2400 combo already. Why not finish it up with the rest of the goddies that you want in it. Like tires ,tx/rx,servo, and shell.

RC Champion
    Ok, looks like I'll probably be going with the slash ultimate......now just have to sell most of my fleet.

What I will probably do is get the ultimate and sell of most of the parts that I don't need.

Thanks for the info guys.
    Last edited by MotorStuff; 03-06-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    Land of the free?

If you look on Craigslist you might find a great deal
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    ^^Yep, been checking it out for a while, but still nothing. Guess I'll just start fresh like I planned.

Soon ordering the Snappy Esc mount and the rx box needed for it.....can't wait to get started on this build!
    Land of the free?