RC Enthusiast

mini revo center diff

i put a center diff in my mini revo and it works great but it seems like that my front wheels want too spin out more then they want too get traction did i install it wrong or what can i do to fix it please help thanx

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You installed it fine.
    You can put heavier diff fluid in the center differential.
    The effect you are experiencing is what the differential is supposed to do... send power to the wheels with the least amount of traction. Heavier fluid will reduce this effect without removing the purpose of the diff completely.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    mine works sick The truck handles even better now.. mad powerslides and drifts even on the pavement.. its really hard to lose control now
    6.25% /

RC Qualifier
    I don't think I'll ever go without a center diff again. There's a reason the 1/8 competition buggies come with them, right?

RC Enthusiast
    how do i change the fluid in the center diff

RC Champion
    open it, the three screws, unscrew them.. put some diffy oily in there.. screw it back up and tighten

they don't come with oil in them lol so that's why it isn't working too good for you

mine came dry anyway.. filled all three with the same oil
    6.25% /

RC Champion
    They come dry!?!?!?! The directions said it comes with oil in it!!!!! And my tires got destroyed after running 1 set of batteries in series. 3 of the 4 tires broke the gluu bead on the tires. But im waiting for some proline speed hawgs and HPI mesh wheels. Hopefully they handle better. And im gonna have to fill up my diff!!!

RC Enthusiast
    same here but i also had some clicking noise in the diff but i just finished putting 15k weight diff oil and it fixed the problem
    thanx for ur help

RC Racer
    What is the difference between the center diff and the regular diff?

RC Champion
    Diffs distribute power. When in the front and back the distribute between left and right. Putting a diff in the center distributes power between front and rear.

RC Racer
    So then how does my stock distribute power? I thought it would be the same.

RC Champion
    Stock sends equal power to the front and rear. Then the differentials distribute the power to the wheel with the least amount of traction.

RC Champion
    its still kind of confuses me how the center diff works too, I kinda gave up on worrying about how it works lol it just does
    6.25% /

RC Champion
    When the front starts to lift the center diff sends more power to the front instead of the rear. Some concept as the front and read does with the left and rite wheel.. Sending power to wheel with least amount of traction.
    Last edited by korn0307; 03-05-2012 at 10:02 PM.

RC Champion
    I know what it does, its just pretty amazing how it works
    6.25% /

RC Champion
    Haha yea its amazing! haha

RC Racer
    should the center diff filled with 50k seem like it wants to bind, I mean this thing is super hard to turn and I can't see it doing the motor much good, all the power will be stolen trying to turn this center diff, what am I doing wrong??
    http://www.youtube.com/user/1millzee?feature=mhum

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by millzee01 View Post
    should the center diff filled with 50k seem like it wants to bind, I mean this thing is super hard to turn and I can't see it doing the motor much good, all the power will be stolen trying to turn this center diff, what am I doing wrong??
    I put 100K in my sons merv and it seemed stuck at first, but then I realised I had overtightened the casing - try undoing the screws a touch until it becomes loose and then retightening each one a little in turn until it starts to bind, then back them off just a tiny bit again.

It may also be that the teeth haven't meshed properly and have 'locked' into each other (cant think of a better word), so you may find that theres a 'click' as the teeth unbind and it will start to turn freely again - this also happened to me .

Ours with a centre diff with 100K oil in appears to handle much the same as with the fixed stock transfer gear. To me the biggest advantage is that it allows front and rear to turn at slightly different rates, which I'm hoping means less strain on the diffs when landing from jumps etc, which I'm hoping reduces the number of diffs that I have to replace because the teeth are stripped (and before anyone mentions it, yes, I do shim them... )

RC Racer
    Thanks, I'm hearing you regarding being sick of diff's between this hobby and my bloody mower. lol.
    I figured the case may be a little tight so I tried that a few times with no luck and I've come to the conclusion that when I've filled the 50k fluid in, I may have added too much so I began trying with a little less each time but to no avail. I've given in for the night and hope to get it sorted tomorrow, I'm guessing I may take the tranny apart, clean everything and start again, this time adding a little less fluid time and do the screws up much looser to start off. Thanks again.
    anything else I might want to try other than running the gears in?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/1millzee?feature=mhum

RC Champion
    lol maybe you have a faulty center diff.. no one else seems to have that problem hahah could be faulty.

or if you took it apart, maybe a pin fell out and you didn't notice or something

hard to say what that could be
    6.25% /

Remember that the RC has more leverage on the center differential than you do, so it is easier for the RC.

Edit:
    Have you tried moving the center spool??
    It does not differentiate at all...
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 03-15-2012 at 12:05 PM.

RC Champion
    Yea the motor is going to put more torque to the center diff than you can. And plus its not really suppose to turn easy. If it turns easy then ALL of your power will just go to one wheel on your vehicle with the least amount of traction. Diff fluid is about finding a happy medium. You want fluid in thick enough to distribute power all around but you dont want it too thick not to let wheels spin at different rates.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cat7 View Post
    I put 100K in my sons merv and it seemed stuck at first, but then I realised I had overtightened the casing - try undoing the screws a touch until it becomes loose and then retightening each one a little in turn until it starts to bind, then back them off just a tiny bit again.
    I did the same thing after filling ours with 100k, overtightened the casing. Loosened it up some and good to go.

RC Qualifier
    Anyone have a "how to" guide to fitting one ?

It is really straight forward... remove transmission, open transmission, swap out spool for diff.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, sounds easy enough
    What diff oil should go in there so it'll still be able to wheelie on demand ?

RC Enthusiast
    I'm finding that 100,000 cSt diff fluid works best for my mix of on- and offroad use.

I have no problems making wheelies and the car is much better onroad.

50,000 cSt is much too thin, and is sending all the power to the front wheels.

RC Qualifier
    I loved my center diff till it stripped today . Has anyone else had that happen to them ? Or have an idea why this happened? I looked at 7014x, rebuild kit, but it doesn't contain the gear/spool that needs replacing. Do I have to buy the whole diff again?

RC Competitor
    the inside of mine melted around the spider gears. was running 100k fluid.