RC Racer

Battery and gearing issues

Hey everyone. I just got into the hobby and I'm having a blast with it. I have a 2wd Slash VXL that I ran with a 9.6 5000 mah nimh with 23/86 gearing. I don't have a heat gun yet but after the first run the motor was too hot to touch. I dropped the gearing to 19/86 and that seemed to help a little but the lack of top speed was evident. I was wondering if you guys think that an 8.4 battery with the 23/86 gearing would give me a little more top speed than the 19/86 with a 9.6 but without the heat issues. I was a little surprised I had the heat problem with the 9.6 battery. I run on pavement and do two block runs. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I also have a Rustler VXL with the stock gear ratio and stock battery and haven't had any heat issues with it doing the same runs and a little off-road.

RC Racer
    Thanks for responding.

RC Champion
    Maybe it's beacause the 9.6v is heavier than the 8.4v?
    Try it with a 8.4. 19/86 is good gearing for on the street.

RC Racer
    It snowed here today but I'm gonna try it tomorrow. I need to get a heat gun.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    You really need the temp gun to know for sure. I cannot hold my finger to a 160 motor for more than a sec, and I worked a broiler for 3 years(Dead finger nerves lol). You may be at a good temp and not know it.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    Yeah, I think the temp gun will be my next purchase. What is the recommended temp for the Velineon?

RC Racer
    Update - I got a temp gun and ran it hard for a little bit. I could touch the motor but only for about 2-3 seconds and the heat gun said it was only 120 degrees. I'm gonna put the 23/86 back in and see what that hits.