RC poster

pinions and spurs ?

I need to know how you know what spur gears work with what pinion gears? I just put a a steel 15T pinion in with a plastic 50T pinion and it didnt last but a second or two... i know i probably should get a steel 50T pinion but havent found one yet! ??? I also have the CC 2200KV, probably to much for the plastic anyways but Im thinking the gears and to match up math wise, am I right? and If so how do you figure it out? thanks for the feedback!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
    I need to know how you know what spur gears work with what pinion gears? I just put a a steel 15T pinion in with a plastic 50T pinion and it didnt last but a second or two... i know i probably should get a steel 50T pinion but havent found one yet! ??? I also have the CC 2200KV, probably to much for the plastic anyways but Im thinking the gears and to match up math wise, am I right? and If so how do you figure it out? thanks for the feedback!
    plastic spur gears are the only way to go. but you must have the mesh set properly and have the motor mount tight. i would recommend a aluminum motor mount to help keep the motor firmly in place.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC poster
    so any pinion will work with any spur gear? I just put the motor in the other day and had a problem sliding the motor to adjust its mesh, I kinda eye balled it and felt it out by hand, but next time I will use a piece of paper to set the mesh. I also have a 23T pinion but that wouldnt fit in and still be able to get the adjustmant screw in through the motor mount plate, the slot where is slides in on, the plate is almost topped out with just the 15T spur.... I have the moter mount plate that helps with the cooling of the motor and it maches the profile of the stock one, so other than the 2200 kv being a little bit bigger i dont know how to get more adjustment out of it with out gettin a different motor mount plate with a bigger slot to fit bigger pinions... any ideas? I will try to post a pic! can I get a motor mount with a bigger slot for adjusting the motors position?

RC poster

RC Champion
    2200 motor will probably be limited in your gearing options

If you need a different ratio you may need to change to Mod1 gearing

What voltage are you planning to run and what speed are you aiming for ?

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC poster

RC poster
    cant seam to get a pic up....

RC poster
    I have 4s and 5 s, and want to get it to go as fast as I can
    !

RC Champion
    What pitch pinions are you trying to use?
    Last edited by Apexracing; 03-04-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC poster
    apexracing, I am open for any ideas! I will check that out! I was told by another member on the site in a differant post to go with 20T 22T pinion and 50T SPUR , to get the most speed out of it, but there is no way that will fit without a different motor mount with more travel for adjustent.

RC Champion
    15/50 gearing will be 45 mph on 4s or 56 mph on 5s

Cheers
    Last edited by crusey; 03-04-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    Slash Platinum

RC poster
    how are guys pulling off these big gears?... i can see there is a little clearance issue with the body and the center drive shaft cover to get the mesh right, so I will have to do a little triming, but this is not the problem for getting bigger gears in! how are guys getting bigger pinions gears in with out moding the motor plate or getting one with a bigger slot for adjustment? Does anyone make a motor mount that has a bigger slot for adjusting that will work for this set up? I wonder how theses guys that have the CC2200kv are making this work with bigger gears....

RC Champion
    Not many run the 2200kv motor

The smaller 2400kv will allow a larger range of gearing

Change to Mod1 gearing and you will have a larger selection of spurs and pinions

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC poster
    as you can see that In my pic the adjustment is almost to its max and thats with only a 15T pinion, i just put a 38T spur in but the 15T pinion hardly touches the spur gear, so Im in the prosses of puting my 23T pinion on to see if that helps but still not shur if I will have enough room in the slide hole on the motor mount to bolt the motor back in with the 23T pinion....