Thread: Tools???

RC Qualifier

Tools???

What tools are you guys using? I am thinking of getting the Dynamite set of hexs, what do you think?
    REVO 3.3, shumacher fusion .21,TC4, ERBE

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    or integy, i heard their not that bad.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I use a set of ******* hex drivers. They're pretty annodized aluminum.

RC Qualifier
    Have had my dynamite for a few years never have had an issue.
    E-maxx 3903
    GraveDigger BL power
    Slash CC SCT

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brailman133 View Post
    Cool, that is what i wanted to hear. having tools for a few years and no problems is what i am looking for.

RC Competitor
    I use losi drivers, they work great

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by motakitty View Post
    I use losi drivers, they work great

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    +1 ..............

RC Qualifier
    +2 on the dynamite set. i have been using these for awhile and they are great...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by brailman133 View Post
    I'm using Dynamite too. No problems here.

RC Qualifier
    Cool, glad to hear it. I think i want the dynamite set because it has a handle for each bit, the Losi set i saw had one handle and bits to change, and i would rather not have to swap bits out. But its good to know that the Losi set is good quality based on your guys experiance. thanks for all your help, i will be buying the dynamite sets tomorrow.

RC Enthusiast
    The Dynamite Set that I have the bits have to be swapped out, only one handle. The quality isn't bad and I guess that's what you are inquiring about.

RC Champion
    I tried many brands (for screwdrivers), the best I found is Hudy (check A Main Hobbies).

RC Champion
    I use Bondhus allen wrenches....They seem to be harder to round off than any other brand of allens I have tried and they aren't very expensive. I have a set with nice big handles and also a set of the standard L shaped type..I cut the L end off and chuck them into my drill...saves a ton of time when your tearing down, or reassembling a rc, I use the drill to get them close and then snug them down by hand so I don't strip anything.
    Last edited by candy76man; 03-04-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    Another vote for Dynamite. I've had these for years. They're still crisp as the day I got them.

I bought a cheap set of metrics by the brand "Hot Racing". They are unusable. They don't fit metric or SAE hex heads.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    the sets of dynamite hexes i am looking at all have their own handle, there are 4 in each set for $30 each set, i am getting a Losi 8ight and i was told that losi uses standard and metric by my LHS. i saw them and they look nice, just wanted to know other peoples thoughts on the quality, and i can see most people who have them, like them.

RC Qualifier
    Losi uses standard there is not a metric screw on our 8ight 2.0
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Competitor
    im pretty sure my mini8 is all metric.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I've tried many hex drivers. Dynamite, Husky, etc etc. Even though I hate and don't recommend Integy stuff ( still makes me cringe ) but their hex drivers are pretty awesome. Like the dynamite set above you can change the tips out if they go bad. And the tips are coated with TiNi and the handles are a beautiful aluminum and color coded for size. I've been using thse for a couple months now with out missing a lick. Like i said one of the only things i'd say is good from them. LOLOLOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    i got theese, so far i really like them. they are cut perfect and can take some torque.

RC Qualifier
    Thinking of ordering the THS racing set.Has anyone used any of their hex drivers

RC Champion
    I use different color fuel tube on my three main drivers to tell them apart at a distance. Like shown below on the 3/32" driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by bernomad View Post
    Another vote for Dynamite. I've had these for years. They're still crisp as the day I got them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewers74 View Post
    Losi uses standard there is not a metric screw on our 8ight 2.0
    oh yea? How bout the screws going into the motor?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by raqumup View Post
    i got theese, so far i really like them. they are cut perfect and can take some torque.
    Those look so good, I just ordered a set of metric.
    BL-bob, that's a good idea with the fuel tube color code. I didn't even notice I had the fuel tube on that driver until you pointed it out.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea its a good idea. My new drivers all look alike, I keep grabbing the 1.5 thinking its the 2.0

The 2.5 seems noticably bigger... so no issues there.

RC Champion
    I have the all red adonized aluminum set and they are great.
    Does any one use the Integy or Associated or Losi tips that have the 1/4" hex on the opposite end? That way you can toss them into a drill?

Thats gonna be my next purchase since that seems to take the most time in a tear down. Just wondering if any of those are worth avoiding due to weak material....
    Last edited by anr2442; 03-07-2012 at 08:35 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by anr2442 View Post
    I have the all red adonized aluminum set and they are great.
    Does any one use the Integy or Associated or Losi tips that have the 1/4" hex on the opposite end? That way you can toss them into a drill?
    No but you've got my interest. I use a cordless screwdriver for working on cars, but the 2.0 driver can't seem to keep its shape. What I need is a quality metric driver on a 1/4 inch hex.... I bet Associated makes a better driver than the Autozone brand I bought earlier...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    No but you've got my interest. I use a cordless screwdriver for working on cars, but the 2.0 driver can't seem to keep its shape. What I need is a quality metric driver on a 1/4 inch hex.... I bet Associated makes a better driver than the Autozone brand I bought earlier...
    DO yourself a favor, get one of these or similiar along with a quality set of L shaped allens and cut the end off them and chuck em in ( if the the tip starts to wear a little dremel off the worn part and your good to go again...removes screws much quicker than any power screwdriver and for those who say it's too easy to strip threads with a drill, battery powered drills have brakes, they stop instantly when you let off the trigger and have very good slow speed control plus a lot more uses than a power screw driver.

I find power screwdrivers to be painfully slow after using a drill as a screw driver.
    Last edited by candy76man; 03-07-2012 at 11:09 PM.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That does look like a good solution...

I've got a ryobi cordless setup from Lowes.... and it only takes 1/4 inch bits...

It has an adjustable clutch though, which I like... it means I get consistent torque on the screws. If I set it to 0 or 1, I can get 3mm screws in firm without damage.... on the bigger 4mm screws I'll ramp it up. On something like wheel lugs, I can set that thing way up... but I still finish them off by hand, more so to extend the life of the drill, not because I worry about the lug nut...

RC Champion

I've got a ryobi cordless setup from Lowes.... and it only takes 1/4 inch bits...

It has an adjustable clutch though, which I like... it means I get consistent torque on the screws. If I set it to 0 or 1, I can get 3mm screws in firm without damage.... on the bigger 4mm screws I'll ramp it up. On something like wheel lugs, I can set that thing way up... but I still finish them off by hand, more so to extend the life of the drill, not because I worry about the lug nut...
    The drills have good clutches too but I don't trust them for driving metric screws into plastic. I stop just short of tight and finish them by hand so I can feel if it's starting to strip the threads. I would do the same with a power screwdriver though so it's really a non issue for me.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    i like the Align brand tools, and ive had the Dynamite ones. but i find they are too hard on my skin when im turning TONS of screws in, they give me blisters. the Align ones have softer edges and a cap at the end so you can add weight if you light a lighter or heavier driver.

RC Qualifier
    oh yea? How bout the screws going into the motor?
    The ones on the motor might have originally been metric in the beginning...now the standard set fits much better. Really the same case with the erevo I use the standard set on it also now the hex wears after a few times taking it apart

RC Qualifier
    I bought the mip/thorp hex based on the heli forums - where they have tiny hexes that need ti be torqued down alot.
    They are some of the hardest tips on the market. They also have a nice big grip.

RC Qualifier
    I bought a nice set of ******* hexes on ebay for about $15. They seem to be pretty well made.
    ERBE, Summit, Thunder Tiger MT4

RC Champion

Guess what i got as a present today. Yep....the ryobi 1/4" lithium driver and a fast charger That was just flat out good timing. I swear i hadnt even mentioned it.

Without making a review i did want to say one thing. Its refreshing to actually use a product with a bright led that shines where you need it for once.
    Its All relative to your perspective.