RC Competitor

Stampede XL5 (Yellow ESC) Upgrade suggestions

Hi, I have an Stampede XL5 with the older yellow ESC (upgraded connectors to high current ones). The truck only goes about 17 mph with a venom 7.2v 2400mah battery. I am wondering what will give my truck more speed and torque. I am willing to spend around 100$. I would like to know what ESC and motor should i upgrade to. I have stock gears. Thanks!

RC Champion
    First off, are you willing to go lipo? A lipo will go a long way in speed and especially torque. For about $30 you can have a good 2s lipo, about $45 can get you a starter lipo charger, and you might be able to sell your esc and then buy a new Blue one with low-voltage detection for around $25.

With al of this you should be easily over 25mph with stock gears.....

BTW: What gearing are you running? 19/90?
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    For about 130 you could get many nice brushless combo's. Or you could spend the same amount on a 8 cell pack and faster motor.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    I don't think his old yellow esc can handle 8 cells.
    For $130, you can get a velineon combo....however, then you need to upgrade to steel tranny gears.

RC Competitor
    @MotorStuff....I don't really know what gears I'm running. It's whatever is stock.....I would like to go lipo but I don't know much about lipo. Can you link me to the battery, charger, and esc?

Image below of my truck....

Pede XL5

RC Champion
    I'm going to pm you the links now because I cant post them up here.
    Land of the free?

RC Competitor
    @ReaperGN What brushless combo would be best without changing my gears?

Pede XL5

RC Competitor
    @MotorStuff. Thanks !

Pede XL5 Old Model

RC Champion
    Did you get them acos?
    Land of the free?

RC Competitor
    Yes. Thanks!

Pede XL5 Old Model

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by acos5890 View Post
    @ReaperGN What brushless combo would be best without changing my gears?

Pede XL5
    For brushless systems you at the very least need the steel gears from the VXL trans. I am not sure when they became standard so you may already have them.

To me the best combo available without spending 200+ would be the Castle Creations SCT combo with the sidewinder esc. It will work with a nimh battery, but for best results you will want a 2 cell lipo. It will handle just about any 48 pitch gearing you can install onto a stampede. I have ran it at 32/76 for speed runs and it didn't cog a bit. For bashing I wouldn't go past 25/83.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Competitor
    Ok thanks....I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.......just looking at some different options..

Pede XL5 Old Model

RC Qualifier
    If you are thinking brushless then have a look at the carriers (bits that hold the axles in place) and make sure that you have some bearings in there not bushings - the bushings will tear apart in seconds with brushless power and as such bearings are a must. Pushes the price up, but for more speed brushless is where you want to end up.

I upgraded from an MSC to an ESC in an old pede but stayed brushed in it, the speed gain was immense - MSC's do suck, just great vintage parts :P - but when i first hit the throttle on my VXL it was just unbelievable, and that was only at 2s Lipo, 3s is just insane (though i think I'm going to slowly move and stick to 3s - just more fun!)

RC Champion
    Control wise MSC's do suck. But they have no motor limit and can handle lipo battery's, so there are many people still using them.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Control wise MSC's do suck. But they have no motor limit and can handle lipo battery's, so there are many people still using them.
    Many...people...using...them??? On what planet?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-05-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Planet Clod Buster.

Also many power tools use a msc.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

MSC's are energy-wasteful, overly complex, and offer poor control, not to mention are prone to runaways when batteries fall to low levels. To even suggest them over an ESC when these superior products are so affordable is to a.) try way to hard to be different or b.) intentionally give poor advice.

Power tools: not even close to relevant.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =