RC Competitor

Proline Speed Hawgs or Road Rage II

Would love to hear from owners of both on how you like them.

Both tires are about the same height. Both about the same width. Both designed for street use. Both look great. Both the same price. Are they similar in all areas and it just comes down to personal preferences
    Last edited by Sith Lord; 03-03-2012 at 04:39 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The Speed Hawgs look better.

RC Champion
    I just got the Speed Hawgs, I think they are the better choice. The bag ABSOLUTELY STUNK though, horrrible smelling tires haha. Wore off in a few minutes but MAN what the heck was that all about...

I have the Road Rage II and found out they still handle great if there is a little sand on the streets. I wonder if that would work with the Speed Hawgs, looking at the tread pattern. I can only compare them with the HPI V-grooves and those are useless if there is any sand.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    So I guess this topic has gone dead? I'd like to know the same thing... does anybody other than Peter use the Road Rage IIs? There should be a write up of both haha.

I like the looks of the Speed Hawgs slightly better, but looks are always personal.

From my experience, tires that have relatively larger flat surfaces suffer more from loose stuff or water that is on the ground.
    That is why slicks dont perform off road. The same goes the other way around. On clean surfaces you will have more grip with slicks than off road tires. Looking at that aspect, I think the Speed Hawgs are a little close to slicks than Road Rages.

I cant tell the difference in compound, because I have no experience with the Speed Hawgs. In general I think the compound or Proline tires is pretty good, so I expect not too much difference in compound.

So, for what it's worth: Do you have clean streets where you drive? Get the better looking (general opinion) Speed Hawgs. When the streets are not so clean or a little wet, the Road Rages might perform better.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I like the look of my speed hawgs and handle pretty good but if I adjust my wheelie bar straight down so it wont wheelie off the line or at 50mph they will spin if I the throttle too hard

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    But if you go off road and on road check out the dirt dawgs. Good all around tire

RC Qualifier
    I drive 90% pavement, and the roads are generally pretty clean. There is some sand on areas closer to the curb but not much. Right now I'm using Traxxas dish rims with the HPI V grip tires and they slide all over the place...Should I get closed cell foams as well, or are the stock foams just as good with either the Road Rage IIs or Speed Hawgs?
    Last edited by Slono; 04-21-2012 at 12:57 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The stock foams work pretty good. I taped the tires with nylon packing tape which helps but at high speed still balloons a bit

RC Qualifier
    The closed cell foams aren't meant for on-road tires like the Speed Hawgs. Their shape will cause the tire to not quite sit flat on the ground and over-wear in the middle. This is per the Proline FAQ page.

RC Champion
    I have speed hawgs and they get warm and sticky after a few high speed passes. But they do spin a lot sometimes and barely hook up at times. Im running a BB and 3s lipos and couldnt do standing backflips on my street because they just spin instead of hook up.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    I just got the Speed Hawgs, I think they are the better choice. The bag ABSOLUTELY STUNK though, horrrible smelling tires haha. Wore off in a few minutes but MAN what the heck was that all about...
    Take one of the foams and have a good smell. Then gag. new tyres do reek.
    In tred design I somewhat see the road rages performing better on a damp surface
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered both sets of tires, so I'll be doing a review on both of both sets of tires on titus beadlock rims. I'd use regular rims for testing instead of the beadlocks but I only have 1 set of mesh rims and don't really want to glue, rip and re-glue just for the purpose of testing.

RC Qualifier
    The speed hawgs are made with the same compound as dirt hawgs, as are the road rages and road hawgs.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, and I am aware. It's a question of the difference in tread pattern and it's relationship with handling.

RC Racer
    id love to know how you get on as i have a spare set of dished rims sitting around waiting for tarmac tyres once i make up my mind lol

RC Qualifier
    I just got some road hawgs and I'm gluing them up today. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

RC Qualifier
    SWEET, let us know how they handle too!

Quote Originally Posted by Slono View Post
    I just ordered both sets of tires, so I'll be doing a review on both of both sets of tires on titus beadlock rims. I'd use regular rims for testing instead of the beadlocks but I only have 1 set of mesh rims and don't really want to glue, rip and re-glue just for the purpose of testing.

has this test happened yet?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Probably feels like speed hawgs although I like the looks of speed hawgs better

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    has this test happened yet?
    Not yet. The tires are still in transit... expect this review to be done in maybe 1-2 weeks from now.

RC Qualifier
    Its been nearly a year... I haven't had time to do much since my daughter was born until now and the Road Rages definitely grip better. Too bad they didn't look as good as the speed hawgs =(

Speed hawgs = cool looking
    Road rages = better grip

RC Qualifier
    Its been nearly a year... I haven't had time to do much since my daughter was born until now and the Road Rages definitely grip better. Too bad they didn't look as good as the speed hawgs =(

Speed hawgs = cool looking
    Road rages = better grip