RC Champion

Question what can i do to make my mustang drift

(stock mustang vxl)
    so the past week i did a complete parts clean on my mustang every thing went well sept for when i drift
    it seams to go into the turn okay but but it dosnt do the counter steer no matter how early i do it it just goes along and spins out like the front outer wheel catches or somthing is there a certain toe /camber setting that helps with the drift or is it best to lock the diffs and just get pvc tire
    whats your guys sugestions?

RC Competitor
    Unless something is wrong/broken in your drivetrain, you should be able to drift even with the stock tires on a hard surface. Harder tires like plastic/PVC make it easier to drift at low speeds, but it'll spinout if you go too fast.

Sounds like ya just have to keep practicing unless something is wrong with your car...no need to get crazy with toe/camber settings...they can all be setup fairly straight/square and it'll drift pretty well. A little rear toe-in will give it some stability, and a little front negative camber will give the front some more grip.

Oh, and make sure your shocks are setup fairly soft, and make sure the collars are even left-to-right so the car is corner-balanced...that could be causing the issue you're describing. (Think of a chair with one short leg...it teeters on two diagonally-opposed legs. If one of your shocks is setup stiffer than all the others, your tires will do this same thing.)

RC Champion
    i see . when i cleaned up my car i didnt know what diff went where(one had thicker fluid than the other)so i put the thicker diff up front .could that be my problem? but ive also wounderd does asphalt temp play a role in drifting?

thank you i will try squaring up the toe but how do you make the rear have more gripp?

RC Qualifier
    The manual says that the for drifting you should have thicker fluid in the front. I Personally however changed that. I run 5ok in the front, 100k in the rear, and i also run a center diff with 100k in it. I thing it makes the car easier to drift, but it is a very fine line that you flirt with to keep from spinning out. I also run the traxxas 4.3 rate springs front and rear with just a bit of pre-load. Try playing with your prload on the sprngs, you will notice a big difference just doing that and not even changing the diff fluid. Try putting the rear spring load like half way, and the front say 1/4, then go drive around, see what the car does, the add or remove preload untill your happy with the results. that what i did before i ever touched the diffs. I also run -2 of camber front and rear, 0 toe in the front and 2degrees of toe-in in the rear.
    All of that it drifts good on the stock tires, but man put on some t-drift tires and you'll be drifting like a champ!
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    ...how do you make the rear have more gripp?
    There are several solutions, and most of these can be further enhanced by doing the opposite to the front to "transfer" that available grip to the back. You can add a little negative toe to make the rear more stable, you can add some negative camber to increase grip, and you can soften the rear suspension to increase rear grip.

Then of course you can change tire compounds to transfer grip, like harder tires up front, or wrap the front tires with electrical tape. Have fun with it!