RC poster

Well that's not good....Battery Burnout.

A picture is worth a 1000 words:

RC Qualifier
    Ha I have the same pack that did the same thing. Same cell even...
    Time to move to lipo!

RC Qualifier
    how did you do that?

RC poster
    Just normal running (see my "love snow and hate cleanup" thread). That is the run it happened on. When I pulled the pack I almost burned my finger and that is what I found.

chapinb, I have been planning my move to lipo, but was waiting until after winter for water reasons, again see pics in the other thread.

The thing that really sucks is the pack is less than a month old, and has at tops 10-15 runs on it. I always let my packs cool after running before charging them, and I charge at a max of 4 amps like Duratrax recommends. I know not to buy their packs again.
    Last edited by CiBo; 03-03-2012 at 08:27 AM.

The nimh just can't supply the amps needed fast enough. Add a bunch of extra weight like packed snow and it makes the batts struggle to supply the amps it wants. For what it's worth I run my lipo in the wet and snow no issues I don't go in deep water or anything like that but run in the rain and wet lots throw them in a man sock( un lubed) for some extra protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Ottawa, Ontario. In the country outskirts.
    Same thing happened to me. I e-mailed DTX about this and they're sending me two new ones.

RC Enthusiast
    Ottawa, Ontario. In the country outskirts.
    Exact same thing happened to meright after a run. I did burn my finger also. I want to move to LiPo in the spring also but now I'm having to many issues with the truck and I'm probably going to have to stop running the truck all together until then also. I can no longer afford to keep repairing burned out electrical parts to continue playing in the snow. Very dissapointing.

RC Qualifier
    I do think my battery burned out due to water damage. It went swimming a week before and that pack never dried out. My lipos have also gone swimming, they seem to dry out much better though. Maybe because there isnt any air pockets between cells?
    None of my batts are waterproofed (yet).
    All my eletronics have been fine, never needing to be dried out. If yours fail after getting wet, call traxxas. Unless its a reciver issue. Water does seep into the reciver box and needs to be pulled apart every now and again to dry.

RC poster
    I have 4 dtx 5000 nimh batteries. One messed up. Wouldn't take a full charge, stopped charging around 9 volts instead of 10.4. My Traxxas peak chargers work great with the stock traxxas batteries, but when used on the dtx batteries, they would get hot, 50 to 60 celcius. I emailed duratrax and they sent me a new battery. I then got a high tec x4 charger and reduced the delta peak sensitivity setting to 5 mv from 7 mv. NIMH batteries drop in voltage when fully charged, while dropping in voltage the extra power that can't be accepted by the battery is released as heat, when the drop hits 7 mv the charger would shut off, by lowering that setpoint to 5 mv the charger quits sooner, generating less heat. Now my batteries get warm, 30 to 40 degrees celcius and still charge fully. (excessive heat kills batteries ) My son and I run the summits in the snow, with tire chains. I don't think the snow was the problem. We either ran one set to low (we now run till the lights start to dim in high gear), or it was a bad battery from the start, it was less than 30 days old when it developed a bad cell. The rest of the batteries are fine. Duratrax came through by replacing the battery, but I have 8 traxxas batteries and haven't had a problem with them yet.

RC poster
    Well, based on the experience of fourtwentyeight, I e-mailed Duratrax and sure enough they sent me a new battery. Nice!

RC Champion
    Lipos aren't affected by water, they are sealed units and the chemistry needs to be sealed in order to work. The leads are the only worry on lipos, but that's the same for all batteries, don't worry about getting them wet, I never have and never will. It is important to keep the connectors clean though, you don't want conductive sediments being deposited over and over until suddenly you get a short. Just keep them clean and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Lipos aren't affected by water, they are sealed units and the chemistry needs to be sealed in order to work. The leads are the only worry on lipos, but that's the same for all batteries, don't worry about getting them wet, I never have and never will. It is important to keep the connectors clean though, you don't want conductive sediments being deposited over and over until suddenly you get a short. Just keep them clean and you'll be fine.
    Internal (pack, not cell) electrical connections (solder joints) can and will corrode, especially on the cheaply-made packs. It isn't just the battery connectors that are a potential trouble spot.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Ah yes, those too :P

It just seems everyone is convinced you cannot run lipos wet, even though they are more sealed than nimhs! They will both suffer from the same corrosion problems though.

RC Qualifier
    I LiPo. This happened to two out of my three NiMH batteries in my 1/16th. That was my own fault though, I didn't wait until they had cooled of before charging.
    This is a signature.