RC Enthusiast

8.4 nimh or 7.2 2s lipo

I have a stampede 4x4, and I need to buy some traxxas batteries, the included 3000 nimh 8.4 battery has plenty of power, would I see a increase of power with lipo?
    Bash hard
    Live hard
    Play hard

RC Qualifier
    It will be a constant power with no drop off at the end with Lipo, pick up a LVC alarm if your esc does not have one built in. In the long run I think it will save you money IMO. And give you much longer run times witch you should be happier with
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

A 2s lipo fully charged is 8.4v
    4.20v a cell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    A 2s lipo fully charged is 8.4v
    4.20v a cell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How is a 2s 7.4 lipo over 8 volts?
    Bash hard
    Live hard
    Play hard

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisping Sniper View Post
    How is a 2s 7.4 lipo over 8 volts?
    They over charge a bunch but it doesn't hurt them in the least!
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

7.4 v is nominal voltage as in storage voltage 3.7v a cell.a 7 cell nimh is 8.4 nominal voltage.fully charged is has more voltage than a 2s lipo but that doesn't last for long the nimh starts dropping voltage after the first pull of the throttle lipo doesn't sag nearly as much

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Generally speaking, 2s lipo will give a car more power and speed than even a fully charged 8.4.
    It's (roughly) because when you hit the throttle and the motor sucks a heap of amps out of the battery, the voltage temporarily drops.
    For example, a Nimh pack might be 8.4v on the shelf, but under load it drops back to 7 volts.
    The lipo however won't drop its voltage under load as much because they have a higher discharge rate from lower internal resistance, so more voltage is availabe to the motor for more RPM.

RC Competitor
    hi wisping sniper i was running the stock 8.4nimh in the spartan i then bought some 7.4 lipos and what a diffrence it was in power so it should be the same in your stampede but make sure you use a vlc alarm unless you esc has 1 built in otherwise you could kill your lipos very quick.

RC Qualifier
    And balance charge them
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

RC Qualifier
    I kept hearing that the NIMH drop off is severe, but I had been running them for years and didn't think so. Anyway, you can look up the dropoff chart on the internet for Nimh and LiPo. I am not going to do the .vs thing as it starts fights, just google it and see for yourself what the nimh dropoff is like. Then you can make an informed decision.

RC Champion
    yea while NiMH is good for some things, LiPO is awesome for some things. The voltage writting on both packs are nominal voltage and not charged voltage. Theres a gazillion and one threads about this v that but 99% of the time LiPO comes out on top.
    Safety is the only draw back of LiPO, But they are few and far between now. With smarter chargers and more awareness on how to treat them.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

Just go Lipo and don't look back. The traxxas Lipo's are pricey but last a long time.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A few years ago it was possible to purchase matched, 6-cell, Nimh packs that would run neck-and-neck with similar sized 2S LiPo's, however those Nimh packs were very maintenance intensive and expensive. When the price of LiPo packs dropped due to cutting out the distributors and LHS, it was no longer profitable to continue producing expensive Nimh cells. Most Nimh packs available today are a mere shadow of what we ran three years ago.

RC poster

Question

I was wondering i have the 12 t brushed stock motor slash 2wd with the blue esc XL 5 with low voltage detection i been running 5000 mah 8.4V and 3000 mah 8.4 NIMH batts has anyone used lipos with the same stock setup some tech guy sayed no I cant

RC poster
    I run them both and that 8 cell traxxas Nimh pack simply destroys the 7.2 lipo. It's not even close. When fully charged that 8 cell is coming off the charger at 12 volts!! During usage it's nominal voltage is between 11.5 - 9.5. The 2S Lipo only has 8.4 volts at max charge then drops from there.

However a 3s Lipo will humble that 8 cell Nimh badly.