RC Qualifier

Slash 4x4, or Ultimate...

Now that I've had some expirence with 1/16, I've decided it is time to save up for a 1/10th Slash 4x4. What is the better buy? The Ultimate, or the regular one? It's just looming on the shelfs at the LHS, waiting for me to buy one. The hobby store has a huge shelf all around the inside of the building, and one whole wall is Ultimates, and regular 4x4s.Need opinions! Thanks!
    U |_ 7 1 |\/| 4 7 3 7 R 4 >< >< 4 !

RC Qualifier
    Are you going to race it or bash it?

RC Racer
    whats the price difference?
    Stampede VXL 4x4:

MIP Shafts and more....

RC Racer
    I have the ultimate, and think it us a Better but because it had the aluminum parts that usually will be added when the stock plastic ones break. but its also works well to get the standard 4x4 and then upgrade as needed. Depends mostly on rather you have $400 or $500 to spend at the time I guess.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Sl4sh with CC MMP 3800, 2 mervs, a 3905 BL eMaxx,

RC poster
    If you have the money get the Ultimate.
    Big bore shocks
    Center Diff
    Sway bars
    Blue-anodized aluminum C-Hubs
    " aluminum steering blocks
    " aluminum rear hub carriers
    " aluminum axle nuts

RC Racer
    This question has been asked a lot of times and the answer has always been...get the Ultimate.

RC Racer
    I bought the 4x4, a week later and 2 broke rear c-hubs, wished I wouldve got the Ultimate.

RC Qualifier
    if I would have bought a new one instead of getting into a Slash with a used one, I would have opted for the Ultimate because of what all is included

so far, I've put everything on my base used Slash that an Ultimate comes with accept for the center diff (which I honestly don't want anyway) and the shocks (I plan on getting Powerstrokes soon)
    fix, run, break, repeat

RC Racer
    I got the 4x4 and modded it out with STRC stuff. I personally think they are better than the Traxxas parts and its nice to have stuff that not as many people have. Plus it was a smaller initial investment which meant I could buy some lipos right away and did the hop ups later. I now have all the original slightly used plastic parts for spares.

I also didn't care to have the big bore shocks as I knew I would change them out to SCTE 4x4 Shocks anyway. They're awesome, cheap to tune (spring sets), and easy to rebuild.
    Last edited by grn_bstrd; 03-01-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    From parts UNKNOWN

I have both. I got my standard Slash in January 2010 for $150. I have now turned it into a STRC Ultimate edition. I recently got a steal of a deal on an Ultimate Slash! It will be a lot cheaper to upgrade the Ultimate since it already came with most of the upgraded parts.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    ^^^
    Agree.

Get the base model, learn what you want it to be and build it as needed.

I've enjoyed the building process as much as the running.

RC Racer
    Sob beat me to it, agree with the previous post. (can't type very quickly on the iPhone)

RC Racer
    ^ElSob is not saying get the base model, he is saying get the Ultimate as you will have less to upgrade.

RC Racer
    I like the idea of building my own, but as a first time buyer, I feel the ultimate is a very reliable purchse for durability. I love my stock slash, but am really short on build time so I wish I wouldve bought the Ultimate because the time difference is in maintaining and repairing is expensive to me.

RC Racer
    I wouldve bought the Ultimate because the time difference is in maintaining and repairing is expensive to me.
    There is no difference in maintenance. You will have some added time for mods but that's half the fun. I guarantee if you buy the Ultimate in a couple weeks you'll be wishing you had more to mod on the truck. Mods R Fun.

Also I think that in reality the difference in durability is pretty small (except for the steering knuckles).

Bling doesn't always equal more durability no matter how much you pay for it.
    Last edited by grn_bstrd; 03-01-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    From parts UNKNOWN

RC Qualifier
    well let me tell you you can get the 4x4 and upgrade as you break or upgrade from the start or get the ultimate and you will still have to upgrade on that too. i got 2 6808 and upgraded as it broke i spent more money doing the upgrades than i would had i got the ultimate but i had a ball doing all the upgrades and i didnt do all that everyone says do rpm arms all around aluminum steering knukles ,c-hubs rpm bumpers, alum carriers,proline shocks ,mips, everything else is stock. but again you will spend less on upgrades on the ultimate cause some are already done for you. again for me it was fun doing the upgrades.and did not pay full price for any upgrade waited for sales ,ebay anf my lhs shop around for the best prices.

RC poster
    I bought the regular 4x4 and so far all the parts that come aluminum on the Ultimate have broken except for my hubs. If you have the extra 100 buxs go for it