RC Qualifier

True-Track Rear A-Arm Conversion

Looking for opinions on the RPM Tru-Track A-Arms.......the Good, the Bad and the Ugly????
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

Well the are a good set of arms, sets the two for you. But if I remember they do not work with the LT rockers.....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Mine rock. Very happy with them. Just don't use cvds. They bend way too much. Stockers or summits.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys. I've read that they flex more that the stock arms; which I guess would explain why they dont break as easy as stockers. I've also read on other threads about the CVD issues, which again goes hand-in-hand with them flexing more.

Thanks for the input.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Champion
    Wait, so I should be using stock shafts rather than the TRX CVD's if I have rpm arms on my ERBE? Very new to this truck, I bought a roller with CVD's all around, rpm arms all around, carriers, etc... So what you are saying it would be wise to use stock CVD's with the RPM arms due to flexing which will result in broken/bent CVD's?

Haven't got my roller in yet but I can't wait. always wanted a ERBE

Like I said I am very unexperienced with this truck, I have owned a lot of them besides this one (ERBE). If this is the case with the CVD's and RPM Arms, how would those stock shafts hold up to 6's as I plan on running 6's. I imagine they wont last long as I love to go fast and jump high lol, there must be an alternative. Sorry didn't mean to jack your thread bud
    Last edited by Stephan81; 03-02-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

RC poster
    Stephan all you need to do is get longer drive cups. That should help with the flex. Traxxas has them I just don't know part# off hand.

RC Champion
    Ok, I will look into it Thank you!

RC Qualifier
    Longer cups will help with shafts popping out but not with the shaft bending. I bash hard and found that my cvds were bent even after a mild session.

If you drive carefully then fine but don't expect to be able to push the truck with rpms and cvds.

I actually got so fed up of having to remove the shaft to straighten it that I ground a groove into a flat head screw driver to smash it straight with a hammer without having to remove it. This is not a fault of the traxxas cvds by the way, they just don't marry up well to rpms.
    Last edited by revomikey; 03-02-2012 at 12:29 PM.

RC Champion
    Wow, good to know. And I don't really like driving aroudn carefully lol, pretty boring. What are you using RevoMikey? What's your setup? You using RPM arms I assume and what do you have for shafts?

RC Qualifier
    I have rpm tru tracks but have just bought summit shafts. Cvds weren't successful, egging was replaced with bending. Stock shafts are ok but egg at the pins way too quickly. Not run the summits yet but the reviews are awesome.

RC poster
    Ya I didn't say the shafts would last. LOL.. Mine looked like those to mikey.I just by sets of stockers at a time. I have a ebay chop shop down the street that sells them to me for 10 bucks a set. Its always good to have extra parts!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by revomikey View Post
    Longer cups will help with shafts popping out but not with the shaft bending. I bash hard and found that my cvds were bent even after a mild session.

If you drive carefully then fine but don't expect to be able to push the truck with rpms and cvds.

I actually got so fed up of having to remove the shaft to straighten it that I ground a groove into a flat head screw driver to smash it straight with a hammer without having to remove it. This is not a fault of the traxxas cvds by the way, they just don't marry up well to rpms.
    Wow what the heck did you run into to get the cvd to bend like that? Iv been running my cvds with rpm arms for awhile with no issues. Im not using true track rpm arms tho. I have bent a cvd in the passed but that was because i ran my truck right into a parked cars tire going pretty fast and even then the cvd didnt bend as much as the one you have.

........and did you say you use a screw driver and hammer to straighten out the cvd with out removing it from the truck?!!?!?! man that cant be good for your bearings, hubs, drive cups, diffs and so on.
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

RC Qualifier
    Lol. That bend is from big airs. I am not kind to my erbe.

And as for my bearings, nuts to them, I have a tonne of spares. Tapping the shafts straight has never caused any damage to them, still on the originals. You would be surprised just how light a tap it takes to straighten them, they are pretty flimsy.

RC Qualifier
    i run the losi shafts on the true tracks and havnt bent one yet
    ive bent 2 losi front axles when i hot things side on like park bench or a tree
    but if i crash from jumps and stuf fits ok just solid objects due the damage

RC Qualifier
    i only bash on Nimhs so far, and i have yet to bend a rear axle. i use the extended cups *on one side. and have never had the other side pop out, ive had a few decent crashes, nothing toooo bad. and havent bent one yet. i bent the front one once, hitting the only pole in the area... duh... lol oops. (my fault)

i also was doing a bunch of pretty hard jumps with not much of a landing area, it was all ice/pavement. never popped or bent. maybe its all in the tire angle too? maybe if the camber is in a little then it helps? (or out) lol i dunno.

so far, i love the setup. but if i do bend or break them, im planning on just going to Summit CVDs. i didnt think they were different till someone showed me an actual sidebyside picture. lol

also, does anyone here flip their axles so the boot is closer to the bulkhead? ive been told this will make the boot last longer. and i can believe this... i look at my driveshafts now and they are shinier near the inside, so it must get less abuse up there.

i did it to my friends revo 3.3 for a test... lol

RC Champion
    I've flipped mine also now the boot lives longer than the shaft.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ClintOnNitro View Post
    ...also, does anyone here flip their axles so the boot is closer to the bulkhead? ive been told this will make the boot last longer. and i can believe this... i look at my driveshafts now and they are shinier near the inside, so it must get less abuse up there...
    Can you explain this for me? I have TRX CVDs and not sure what you're flipping. Thanks
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You take the CV apart, and swap the ends, so the axel stub and the diff outputs go to the opposite side as they started.

that puts the rubber boot up close to the diff, instead of down by the knuckle.

The rear cv's get blasted by the front tires, so its a good way to protect the rubber boot....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    You take the CV apart, and swap the ends, so the axel stub and the diff outputs go to the opposite side as they started.

that puts the rubber boot up close to the diff, instead of down by the knuckle.

The rear cv's get blasted by the front tires, so its a good way to protect the rubber boot....
    Thanks for explaining! I'm looking pretty hard at getting the RPM conversion kit. I suppose I could put the rear stock shafts back on if CVD's are not working well with the RPM set up.
    Last edited by bernomad; 03-03-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: typo
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I really like the summit CV's. If your CVD's are in good shape you could try selling them on ebay...

RC Racer
    So the Summit CV's are beefier than E Revo? I'll look into them. I think I'll hold off for now on selling my CVD's and doing the conversion. I'll wait til something breaks. It's hanging together for now. Although my son managed to break the front bulkhead with a ramp he built. It flew well.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    CV joins are stronger than UV joints... just the way it is. metal is stronger than most plastics though... lol but also more $

RC Champion
    Anyone have the part # for the longer cups for the TRX CVD's? I have looked around and can't seem to find them.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    Anyone have the part # for the longer cups for the TRX CVD's? I have looked around and can't seem to find them.
    5153R - extended cups
    5153 - normal ones

RC Qualifier
    Don't do it. Go summit shafts instead. Even with extended cups you still get pop outs. I got so sick of it.

I have run stock, cvds and now summits. Summit shafts are the best. Traxxas should fit them as standard in this beast.

RC Qualifier
    Don't do it. Go summit shafts instead. Even with extended cups you still get pop outs. I got so sick of it.

I have run stock, cvds and now summits. Summit shafts are the best. Traxxas should fit them as standard in this beast.
    i was out bashing today and did a few HIGH SPEED cartwheels (oops) no bends, or pop outs for me. and ive only got an extended cup on one side. hahaha

RC Qualifier
    i was out bashing today and did a few HIGH SPEED cartwheels (oops) no bends, or pop outs for me. and ive only got an extended cup on one side. hahaha
    Are you running tru tracks though? I bent a shaft and suffered a pop out at least every set of cells. Cvds sure do look sweet though.

RC Qualifier
    Are you running tru tracks though? I bent a shaft and suffered a pop out at least every set of cells. Cvds sure do look sweet though.
    yessir. Truetrack RPMs for the back on my Revo, with Big Joe tires and LT rockers.

RC Competitor
    yessir. Truetrack RPMs for the back on my Revo, with Big Joe tires and LT rockers.
    So your using true tracks with LT rockers? I thought they didn't work together?

RC Qualifier
    thats what im reading, yes. but on my truck, im rocking the long travel rockers, with Traxxas CVDs and i dont even NEED an extended cup on one side. lol i put new bulkheads on when i got the truck cuz it came with summit ones and NO extended cups.
    (yes, summit bulkheads cuz the guy thought they were stronger) they were both also broken. haha im running Traxxas Revo bulkheads now... oh and the shocks are set to the farthest out holes, so its as low as LT rockers can go, that might be one reason why im ok.

RC Competitor
    thats what im reading, yes. but on my truck, im rocking the long travel rockers, with Traxxas CVDs and i dont even NEED an extended cup on one side. lol i put new bulkheads on when i got the truck cuz it came with summit ones and NO extended cups.
    (yes, summit bulkheads cuz the guy thought they were stronger) they were both also broken. haha im running Traxxas Revo bulkheads now... oh and the shocks are set to the farthest out holes, so its as low as LT rockers can go, that might be one reason why im ok.
    Interesting... I'm guessing the lowest suspension setting must be whats allowing you to use them.

RC Qualifier
    youre probably right. i could try jacking it up and see what happens i guess. i like the lower stability and still have some travel for jumping over stuff. :P