Thread: Big Bore Shocks

RC poster

Question Big Bore Shocks

So just recently i was out bashing with my rustler and made a wrong move and rolled it and it bent my rear shock. so i decided that was a good excuse to spend more money and get new shocks so i was looking at the big bore shocks at my LHS but i was just wondering if they are worth spending $60 on them? im willing to i just want to make sure they are worth it.. does anyone have any experience with them? i am driving on both asphalt and dirt. high and low speeds. any advise will be much appreciated.
    thanks
    christian

Big Bores are great shocks, you can get them for a little over $40 from eBay.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Competitor
    dont bother with them your best with titanium shocks around 40 for all four.
    Last edited by skaterpie; 03-01-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Big Bores have TiN coated shafts. I wonder if you can get 4 shocks with Ti shafts for 40, if that is what you mean. You can also just buy the TiN coated shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by skaterpie View Post
    Titanium shocks? umm....

But really.. Big bores are excellent, and have everything u need for a great price. TiN shafts alone are 20 bucks, Add to that 12 for shock caps, and alum bodies for 20 and u got over the price of big bores. Its better just to get big bores from Traxxas and call em a day. U can however put on ur own shock caps on big bores if u already have em.

I run them on my Stampede, and they have been great shocks. Aluminum body shocks allow for the shaft on the inside to move more smoothly. It also handles the power of intense compression better than plastic can. But yes, Pull the trigger on those big bores, comes with all the good shock requirements it needs.

Quote Originally Posted by skaterpie View Post
    Do you have a link? I've never heard of anyone making titanium shocks. But I can assure you that you will never see a set of 4 titanium shocks for that cheap. The metal alone is worth more than that.

I agree with the others. Get a set of big bores off of ebay. Very good shocks.

RC Qualifier
    I have big bores from Traxxas... very smooth, not complaints.

RC Competitor
    I strongly suggest Proline Powerstrokes.. great shocks all around. I couldn't believe how well they increased the suspension performance of my Rusty. Total night and day from stock shocks.

RC Champion
    I agree with REM RUSTY! After owning several sets of Big Bores that leaked out the seals, I went with Powerstrokes. The shafts on the Powerstrokes are noticeably larger than the Big Bores, and I also have had no leaking problems with them. The downside is that they are a bit pricier than Big Bores.
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC poster
    Wow I looked at the powerstrokes and they are some good lookin shocks. I actually really want them now! Price is more than I planned for shocks but I like the looks and performance. I think I'm going to find some more money

Christian

RC Qualifier
    Ya, I also have heard good things about the powerstrokes at the track and such.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSky View Post
    I agree with REM RUSTY! After owning several sets of Big Bores that leaked out the seals, I went with Powerstrokes. The shafts on the Powerstrokes are noticeably larger than the Big Bores, and I also have had no leaking problems with them. The downside is that they are a bit pricier than Big Bores.
    I still can't understand why you have so many problems with big bores leaking. I remember you posting this a long time ago and still haven't had any issues with any of mine. I have owned at least 6 different complete sets of big bores over the years (24 shocks total) possibly more, and have only had one shock with an issue. It's a rear 2661 shock on my TCP buggy. It's the older titanium-colored big bore and it leaks from around the cap. I've tried a bunch of different diaphragms with no luck. My only guess is that there is a defect in the body or cap around the mating surfaces. Last night I made my final attempt at fixing it by lightly sanding the top of the shock body. Waiting to see if it still leaks or not.

Aside from that one out of 24 or more shocks, all of mine have been flawless. I currently have big bores on 3 of my cars and they're all perfect except for that one rear. That's why I can't understand why you're having so many issues. Obviously there are defects from the factory, but they can't all be defective.

No doubt Powerstrokes are nice shocks, but I can't justify them being that much better than big bores for the price difference.

Powerstrokes look nice but I hear far more stories of them leaking and not holding up than I do with Big Bores. The price of them is a little unreasonable IMO, I personally would go with Big Bores.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Harry....my BBs all leaked from the shaft seal.
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Powerstrokes look nice but I hear far more stories of them leaking and not holding up than I do with Big Bores. The price of them is a little unreasonable IMO, I personally would go with Big Bores.
    Truth, local rusty racer has them and had to do some kind of o-ring for the caps and junk to stop the leaking. . . All in all he said the only reason he uses them now is because he paid a TON for them. lol

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSky View Post
    Harry....my BBs all leaked from the shaft seal.
    I remember you saying that, just can't imagine why. Only thing I can think of that would make all of them leak at the seal would be too much oil.

I remember I got my first Big Bores in summer and they were sweating the first day of use because it was pretty warm and I filled them the cooler night before. Never noticed any leakage on any of the 8 I am using. Not close to harry's 24, but those are 31 working well out of 32 :P

RC Champion
    I have had big bores on my sons slash for quite some time and man they can take a beating. I highly recommend buying a set off eBay.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

RC Competitor
    If you decide on the Power Strokes you can also purchase The spring kits for them,front and rear sets for about $17 a set. The shocks come with mid range springs on them already, the spring kits come with 4 more different rate springs for the primary and secondary springs, so that is 8 different springs for each shock, The tuning for these shocks is just about limitless !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I totally agree. And my big bores still have yet to leak. My ultras have, but never my big bores. Plus if it was a fluke, could rebuild em.

The first powerstrokes leaked ALOT. They have sorted that problem out alittle. They are a real nice looking shock, but over priced IMO. But if u have the cash, they are good. Im in the process of adding a dual stage spring set-up to my big bores, just like are on the powerstrokes.