RC Qualifier

i fixed my slayer! heres some pics of parts i got..

my slayer has been dead for a few months now and ive tried everything.. I've bought a new piston,sleeve,wrist pin, 2 connecting rods and glow plugs and it still never worked.. so after some intense research i bought a IR thermometer, pull start, and carb body and it works perfect!!! im so glad i got the thermometer.. i cant believe i never had one.. and the pull start is sooo much nicer.. plus i use my slayer for drifting and in the dunes most of the time so less weight is always better (even if it is a few ounces) i was going to by a nice 3 piece clutch/flywheel and some different spurs and pinions but i didn't know if it was going to run so i didn't want it to be a waste.. so i bought a pair of traxxas sc wheels to finally complete my set, ofna fuel line, racers edge exhaust tip and a few miscellaneous parts for back up.. i like the way the exhaust tip is working out.. its black so less noticeable and its about a half inch longer than stock so it dumps the exhaust closer to the ground rather than all over the rear bumper and body.. i just got done breaking it in.. im now soaked.. i couldn't wait for the rain to stop lol.. but when it does ill tune it good and start taking some videos.. here are some photos.. let me know what you think..

Last edited by summitcrawler; 02-28-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    custom summit crawler parts lol

RC Competitor
    It is good to hear that you go your Slayer running again. Did you narrow it down to what as the problem or was it a combination of things? I was have a problem with my Tx/Rx and I think if fixed it with replaceing the AA batt. pack with the 3037 recharge batt and replaceing the on off switch as it was hard to turn on or off do to sand. More testing on friday. It is always a good day when your Slayer starts and runs!!
    Summit
    Slayer Pro 4X4

RC Qualifier
    yea it was either the ground wire(which didnt look like it had a single scratch or weak point) (i tried a new glow wire) or the wand was bad.. so it was cheaper to buy the pull start and glow driver and i haven't heard of near as many problems with the pull start so i had to go the low route.. yea i should probably get a new on/off switch mines pretty jammed up with sand as well.. after all I've spent trying to get it running i could have almost bought a new os engine... but I'm satisfied with the 3.3 and i didn't have all the money at once so buying a new 3.3 wasn't really even an option until this last buy.. for all the stuff i bought this last time it was $136 the exact amount of a new 3.3 from the site i go through.. but then i wouldn't get a glow driver or thermometer so after all the research i decided this was my last attempt at my old engine... and im sooooo happpy!!!!!!!! first i tried to start it without preheating it to see what would happen and it wouldn't start so i heated it to 100 degrees and it fired up on like the 5th pull i cant wait for the sun to rise! then this weekend I'm staying at a hotel on the beach.. i love tearing up the sand with the paddles.. my body is sooo tired i feel like ive been carrying a million pounds on my shoulders dreading that my slayer would never start again.. my summit has taken quite a beating because of it lol. Im excited to start getting active in the slayer forum and post pictures and videos. i cant get over it im so happy!

does the 3037 recharge pack fit in the same spot as the AA pack?
    Last edited by summitcrawler; 02-28-2012 at 11:28 PM.

RC Competitor
    I know how you feel about the Slayer being down and having to use the Summit just to keep the fix going. Now my Summit needs a 2056 Xmsn servo but still runs. Yes the battery fits in the recever box and it took out the possibility of loose battery or corrosion on the battery. I think they should come up with a switch that is sealed instead of the one we have now, sort of like the on off switch on the EVX-2. I have 2 other friends here where I work that have also bought the Slayer so we (I) now have a support group .
    Last edited by 93 Chevy; 02-29-2012 at 07:04 AM.
    Summit
    Slayer Pro 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by summitcrawler View Post
    my slayer has been dead for a few months now and ive tried everything.. I've bought a new piston,sleeve,wrist pin, 2 connecting rods and glow plugs and it still never worked.. so after some intense research i bought a IR thermometer, pull start, and carb body and it works perfect!!! im so glad i got the thermometer.. i cant believe i never had one.. and the pull start is sooo much nicer.. plus i use my slayer for drifting and in the dunes most of the time so less weight is always better (even if it is a few ounces) i was going to by a nice 3 piece clutch/flywheel and some different spurs and pinions but i didn't know if it was going to run so i didn't want it to be a waste.. so i bought a pair of traxxas sc wheels to finally complete my set, ofna fuel line, racers edge exhaust tip and a few miscellaneous parts for back up.. i like the way the exhaust tip is working out.. its black so less noticeable and its about a half inch longer than stock so it dumps the exhaust closer to the ground rather than all over the rear bumper and body.. i just got done breaking it in.. im now soaked.. i couldn't wait for the rain to stop lol.. but when it does ill tune it good and start taking some videos.. here are some photos.. let me know what you think..
    I never understood why they do not recommend having a temp guage when people buy a nitro RC, I also understand this to be true for electrics..... Nut using a temp guage it is almost impossible for a new person to get some sort of reference point for tuning.... They make a few $$ off of the upsale and it makes the customer come back happy... I guess some LHS's prefer the customer coming back to the store and them getting $$ for servicing the RC and then selling the customer a guage... Those hobby shops, I refuse to use. As far as if someone bought theirs online,,,, well that's the thing with online sales, you don't have someone with experience guiding you with your purchase. For non-newbies that's fine but for the beginner,,, I find it can turn out way more expensive in the long run by the time that learning curve it met.....

just my 0.02 anyways. Glad to hear you go it running.... Most new to nitro users, their first engine doesn't last as long as their 2nd from the experience they gain cutting their teeth on their first motor.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Qualifier
    its really sad how little of customer service most lhs provide.. I've found a couple that are willing to help with anything but most are just rude and not very helpful.. the only reason i ordered my slayer off the internet is because my lhs is 2 hours away.. and im always at sea so once i get on land my first thought is bed which usually lasts until the next trip to sea..lol

RC Qualifier
    here she is! up and running. still a little rich but can you blame me for playing it safe for a bit lol
    nothing special still getting the hang of it again.. it was about 36 degrees.. sorry for the shaking lol
    oh and i found the one thing bad with pull start... blisters lol

RC Competitor
    Well I'm glad you didn't drive it to the water and take a picture/LOL