RC Qualifier

hskb's Ultra Slash 4x4

Hello Everyone,
    After a lot of reading of old/new threads from the forums, and a lot of help from you all experienced RC users (thank you very much!), I've ordered a Platinum Slash 4x4 + bunch of parts.

Below is the list I've ordered so far:

1 Traxxas Slash Ultimate 6084
    2 Traxxas Link TQ 2.4ghz 2238 2ch Radio & 2218 Receiver Rx Tx
    3 Traxxas 6745 Pinion Gear 9T 32P (2)
    4 Traxxas 5352R HD Slipper Clutch Rebuild Kit E-Revo Brushless
    5 Traxxas 5351 Slipper Pressure Plate E-Revo Brushless
    6 Traxxas 6856X Aluminum 17mm Wheel Hub Set (4)
    7 Traxxas 6840 Go-Pro Camera Mount
    8 Traxxas 1647 Silicone Grease Lube
    9 SPC 8200mAh 3S Lipo
    10 MIP 10130 Rear X-Duty CVD Kit Slash 4x4
    11 MIP 10132 Front X-Duty CVD Kit Slash 4x4
    12 Loctite Blue Thread Locking Compound
    13 STRC Aluminum HD Motor Mount ST6860
    14 Yeah Racing Metal Bearing For Traxxas Slash #YB0224M
    15 RPM 80402 Traxxas Shock Shaft Guards Black (4)
    16 RPM 73932 Adjustable Height Body Mounts
    17 RPM Bumper - Slash 4x4 Rear Black bumper 80122
    18 RPM 80022 Black Front Bumper / Skid plate
    19 RPM 81312 Low Visibility Wheelie Bars
    20 RPM 70362 Rear Shock Tower
    21 RPM 80702 Front or Rear A-Arms (2 + 2)
    22 Hitec HS-645MG NEW High Torque Metal Gear BB
    23 Losi 2.5" Spring 4.1 Rate,Blue LOSA5160 (4)
    24 Losi 2" spring 4.1 Rate Black LOSA5135 (2)
    25 Pro-Line Masher 3.2" All Terrain MT Front/Rear (2)
    26 RPM Revolver 3.2" Monster Truck Wheel 17mm Black
    27 A used Summit Body + posts
    28 GoPro Hero HD Camera

For now, I will keep the stock esc/motor and use them for awhile before decide if I will get the Mamba Max Pro + 2400KV + link system.

This RC is for bashing ONLY, and I intend to make it as DURABLE as possible.
    Please let me know if I miss anything, any other parts that I should get?

Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

hskb.

RC Racer
    LOL, thats a good start..

I think besides the motor, you have all you need and more!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    My son wants to start racing the slash...oh man I really don't want him to see this.
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Champion
    thats quite the list, once that comes in the mail, your gonna be sooo excited, i sure would be.
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Qualifier
    that truck sounds awesome. ill tell you what, that mmp 2400 is a Exellent system. others will tell you this too.
    Racing in the Past, Present, and Future...MAYBE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ImprovEverywherE View Post
    that truck sounds awesome. ill tell you what, that mmp 2400 is a Exellent system. others will tell you this too.
    Thanks, I got that impression from lot of members in this forum.

I'd like to keep the stock esc/motor for water proof even if I am buying the mmp/2400kv in the near future.
    Since I am still learning, I am not sure if the power of the stock system should satisfy my driving style. If it does - Great, I am done. If not, then i can get the mmp combo later.
    Last edited by hskb; 02-28-2012 at 06:01 PM.

RC Racer
    There are a lot of other brushless setups out there, castle happens to be one of the more popular ones out there. I must say that when I was at motorama in harrisburg a few weeks ago nobody was running casle equipment. It seems like tekin's rx8, and the novak ballistic 550 5.5t motor was the hot setup. Not taking anything away from the mamba systems, but sensored systems seem to be the next evolution in brushless. Either way, im sure you will be impressed.

RC Qualifier
    ChrisC23,
    Now that you mentioned Novak ballistic 550 5.5t (3700kv, 3s motor) . I got it with mmp before anything in the list, and just returned both today unopened (i could keep the mmp, but it'd be cheaper for package deal with motor later on). I'd love the sensor feature, but i don't think it's quite powerful compared to the 2400kv. As far as I know, not a lot of bashing users use the 550. It might be good for racing since they have high kv and low cells rated

Moreover, it's kind of annoying when you pay over $130 for the motor, and it didn't come with the motor wires - it's just one more tick that makes my return decision easier
    Last edited by hskb; 02-28-2012 at 06:45 PM.

RC Racer
    Although they would work together, i agree there are better options than putting those two together. For one, why waste money on a sensored motor to run with a sensorless esc. And the kv would limit you to 3s. I Didnt read the 'bashing only' part in your post. My apologies. I would agree that if you are not restricted to 2s then 2400 is a good kv rating for all around bashing. The reason the wires didnt come with the motor is cause they usually come with the esc. Anyways, have fun. Sounds like your building an animal there.

RC Racer
    Dang...I like your style. May need a battery expansion kit for that lipo.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, there sure are alot of "Traxxas Approved" parts in that list.
    Warning: BAD PERSON-10pt infraction for trolling

The MMP Novak 5.5 is a great setup! I have put that exact setup in my Ultimate. I had it in my first truck for a bit before I came up on a 2400 system over a year ago. It has plenty of power! I like it a lot. It would have worked well for you. It is very smooth with how it delivers power.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Competitor
    Oh my God! This man has done his homework! Can we say dream machine as it hits the dirt for the first time??!!?? Nice work!
    My money pits:
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate
    Losi XXX-T MF2

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Ya, it should be a nice basher! I like the parts you've picked. If I was doing a scratch build right now, (oh wait, I am ) and its purpose was a basher (it is) these parts would be close to the list I could put together too. Nice work and good job with research, its paid off well for you. Now on to some tire talk, I got a feeling the tires are gonna be wide enough to give you some rub issues, depending on body and mount method/hight. I also use 17mm and 3.2 wheels for my sl2sh but I'm stuck with 2.8 till my hexes come in from Tekno. I see you addressed the servo issue and it should through the big tires easy (again, nice work) bit if you find yourself wanting a smaller tire, for fit and performance, you could try my 3.2 wheel mod for 2.8 tires. I think they look awesome. And not quite as big.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Competitor
    @ thedreadedend... I am always trying to learn so I have a question and it's not to sound snotty.... What are the benefits of going with a 3.2 wheel and a 2.8 tire? For snow I run the 2.8 Desperado Trenchers and they do a great job, very happy. When there isn't snow I run SCT Trenchers. I'm curious and willing to try!
    My money pits:
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate
    Losi XXX-T MF2

Quote Originally Posted by JDGecko View Post
    @ thedreadedend... I am always trying to learn so I have a question and it's not to sound snotty.... What are the benefits of going with a 3.2 wheel and a 2.8 tire? For snow I run the 2.8 Desperado Trenchers and they do a great job, very happy. When there isn't snow I run SCT Trenchers. I'm curious and willing to try!
    the benefit from using these rims or any other 3.2 with 2.8 rubber trimmed up to fit is, you removing a ton of sidewall.this will give way less roll in the corners and for fast turns in general. In turn the result is lots less roll over. A 3.2 matched tire for that wheel is huge. Can work, and some of the tires are much thicker/stiff but just to big for my personal liking. I may try some later but for now, im enjoying the mod process for these. You get a tire that's only ⅛ taller than original size and its the same width it started as. The ballooning is decreased because of the sidewalls being short also. Here is a comparison of a legit 2.8 on 2.8 and cut 2.8 on a 3.2

Hskb, if this info isn't helpful or doesn't interest you, I will understand. Some members like to keep a very tidy thread for their builds. So if you too would like this space back, feel free to hit the exclamation point button at the bottom left of this post. Just give the mods an explanation and they will remove it for you. If you do, then no hard feelings, I understand. Also looking forward to your work. I apologize for mucking up your page lol.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 02-29-2012 at 10:34 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Thedreadedend, Thanks for the info, I am still learning. So, we can use 2.8 tires (like the proline trenchers) on 3.2" wheels (not the other way around right?)? You mentioned cutting?
    the 2.8" tires are smaller than 3.2"wheels, why does one has to trim them?
    I got a used summit body, so hopefully the big tires won't rub. I also had the 2.2" speed hawg II + HPI mesh combo from my mini erevo.

I think the summit will work fine only if you offset the tires with rims or extended hubs. You could use a crawler style wheel. The summit has its wheel way out so no rub. Keep an eye on my thread, I'll be doing some wide wheelbase mods myself.

RC Qualifier
    Received most of the parts; still waiting for the slash platinum though

Can't wait anymore!

RC Racer
    Wow. There goes the income tax check! LOL!

RC Qualifier
    I couldn't resist and got the mmp-2400kv combo as well with 2 days shipping (Still not sure if i should sell the vxl at this point). Also got all the parts on Friday and put them back today.

For the MMP, I just ziptied on the chassis and will find a better way mount it later.

I still need a battery extension holder, and a decent body. Anyone know which battery extension I should get? For now, I just tie the battery to the whole chassis and run around in my garage (Kind of hard to find the time with 2 toddlers). Hopefully I'll run some during breaktime from work tomorrow.

The pro-line 3.2 mashers are kind of big and heavy, and the car gives massive power with these tires that I really don't want to deal with at this point so i put back stock tires on.

Below are some pics along the way:

RC Qualifier
    YO SOOOOOOOOOOOO SWEAT!!!! looks nice when its new looks even better when its
    ALL DIRTY. You get a A+++++ on all that homework you did.
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

RC Racer
    Thats awesome dude!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hskb View Post
    For the MMP, I just ziptied on the chassis and will find a better way mount it later.
    there is enough room between the receiver box and the motor to screw a scrap piece of lexan to the chassis and servo tape the esc to that.

Man i need more than 50 characters.

Im wondering if you got some spare axles, your going to need them with those wheels. Looks cool but its going to be costly. Im looking at your post count and wondering if you've had any brushless rc experience. 3s+cc 2400+ huge wheels/tires= some costly breakage for a newb. Even without the wheels, you got a streaming fast rc set up so if your new, don't let this experience cast a bad shocks on the trucks durability, new guy tend to crash and brake stuff without the 3s and cc. Look good, have a blast!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks everyone for comments. Thanks Apexracing for the suggestion.
    Thedreadedend, thanks. I've had my mini summit + erevo for about 2 months. Yes, I agree with you - heavy tires paired with the truck give massive power that It's kind of dangerous to deal with for my newb status for now.

At lunch time today, I had the summit body on and run for half an hour. With the heavy summit body, the truck was easy to roll-over, so I took it off, and ran with bare born. After some sharp turnings, the battery fall out of the truck during one roll-over. Luckily, no damage to the batt. and the truck so I called it off for the day until i get the extended battery holder.
    Thanks

RC Qualifier
    The Traxxas 17mm adapters can not withstand the big, heavy 3.2 MT mashers, pins were destroyed, nuts get loose.
    So I got 2.2 rpm wheels and masher 2k tires and I find these to be the sweet spot for my slash.
    Also destroyed the stock 54t spur, so I got a hot racing steel 54t spur, 13t, 19t pinions
    I found 19/54 to be a perfect gearing for my need, plenty of torque, and controllable speed with the masher tires.

Now wheelies on command!

RC Qualifier
    Pics of all the updates:

RC Qualifier
    Ok, that is a pretty dang sexy truck! Couple of questions for you... Where did you get the ACF-50? I have been wanting some for me but have not found a reliable inexpensive source yet. Did you wind up selling the stock VXL system? If not you should keep it for when you want to go out and play in the rain =)

RC Qualifier
    John, Thanks.
    I bought the ACF-50 from here: http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/produ...prod10100123bu

I plan to do some waterproofing with my MMP. Already bought Electrical Liquid Tape but haven't had time to do it yet.

RC Competitor
    NOW I understand the 9t pinion.

With that motor you should be able to handle the standard 13t with no issue.

Nice build BTW.

SS

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hskb View Post
    John, Thanks.
    I bought the ACF-50 from here: http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/produ...prod10100123bu

I plan to do some waterproofing with my MMP. Already bought Electrical Liquid Tape but haven't had time to do it yet.
    Ok, now WHAT is that??? And where did you get that!?!?!

The whole reason I am VERY leery about upgrading to another ESC/Motor combo is because I LOVE the fact that I am waterproof with the VXL system.

RC Qualifier
    First run in light water today after waterproofing my MMP and installing Boca Ceramic bearing.

Last edited by hskb; 04-20-2012 at 11:58 PM.