RC poster

ESC blinking red rapidly receiver alternating green/red rapidly

So I had the problem in the subject line above and I wanted to post a note about it for anyone else who has had this problem.

My car just stopped working after about 20 minutes of normal use, jumping, racing, on/off road and such, pretty average day for the Merv.

When I looked at my ESC is was blinking red rapidly and the receiver light was blinking red/green alternatively very fast as well. At first I thought, overheat, so I shut everything down and let it sit for 30 mins.

When I turned it back on, the lights were the same. I thought crap, now what!

After reading in the book the only thing I could find was potentially low voltage detected but I had hooked up a fresh battery. So I took that battery, fully discharged it then re-balanced it.

Tried it again, no go, same deal.

The oddest part was that if I turned the car on without the TQL transmitter the lights on my ESC were green (lipo mode, which was right) and the receiver was red. Then turning the transmitter on, the light immediately go into red/green flashing and I have to unplug the battery to get it turned off.

After bits and pieces of information scrounged from the web, I read about this being caused by a faulty Traxxas 2080 servo. I popped open my receiver and unplugged my steering servo and everything went back to normal.

Apparently this type of malfunction is caused by a bad steering servo.

So I ordered a ******* 390 as it seems this is the best bang for the buck. Oddly enough, I was only able to find it in one single shop out of Hong Kong...

RC Qualifier
    interesting i am gonna go for the 390 via amazon
    press the any key... where is the any key....

You can also use the BlueBird 390 one. Exactly the same (except the name) and more easy to find on stock.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    390 Set Up

All stock hardware is used.
    NONE of the hardware included is needed!

There are tab braces that do not allow the servo gaurd to sit flush.
    IT IS OPTIONAL TO REMOVE THEM.
    I have done this both ways without any adverse reactions.
    Here is a picture of the braces:

The only reason this may need to be done is because of the small gap between the chassis and the servo gaurd.

You will also need to reverse the servo direction.
    These are the steps to follow to do so:
    (Traxxas LINK)

Hold MENU
    Green Blinks

Press MENU
    2 Green Blinks

Press SET
    Green Blinks

Press SET
    Red Blinks

Press SET
    8 Green Blinks

Hold MENU
    Setup Complete
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    i think this thread is worth keeping, when my servo went out, it did the exact same thing....anyone keeping a collection of "MERV specific issues" threads?

RC Champion
    took me two servos to figure out what those lights mean

well the first time I wasn't sure what was wrong for a while because it doesn't really cover that in the manual, but when my high tec servo went, I knew right away which was even more aggrivating because its supposed to be tough, but it turns out it was my fault for not waterproofing around the horn..

still got a month and a half of good snow bashing and a few rain bashes, and I always run it under the tap after to get some dirt off. but I guess a little water snuck in there and fried it
    Last edited by GULLY; 02-26-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    6.25% /

RC poster
    How do you fry only the servo by not waterproofing the horn at the ESC? I figure you would break your ESC but not your servo like that?

I'm interested in the cause of this since the guy I bought the car from says he had to replace the servo a few months before I bought it. Possibly there is something causing it, and I want to make sure I fix it before I burn out another one.

RC poster
    Jimmy, thanks for posting this in my thread! I did some searching about the ******* and saw this post you made in another thread and thought, AWESOME, very good writeup by the way, good addition to the community.

RC poster
    I had the same exact thing happen and upgraded to the 390. Awesome servo, and thank you to Jimmie for the write-up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Glad to help!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Thanks for your post!! Just went to bash. Drove for about 20 seconds on dry Dirt and then it died..
    Tried a few things in the field with no luck. Google brought me here!

Thanks again Great post! not sure what i would do with out Everyone