Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Help.. Car pulls hard to the right when accelerating.

I finally got the car back together and when i tested it out today i noticed that it pulls hard to the right when hard accelerating. It was never this bad before.
    If i drive very slow the Xo-1 will turn left and right evenly and normal but as soon as i accelerate hard the car will pull to the right.
    If i turn hard to the left while accelerating the car will turn normal and hard.
    If i turn it to the right while accelerating hard the car will spin out into a 180.

I double checked my springs to make sure they were the same height and also non of my shocks seems to be leaking.
    I saw that one side of my front differential was wet so i figured it was leaking. I changed out my front and rear diff with 100k weight (All i had on me) and that did help a little bit so i took it to an open parkinglot to test it out with higher speeds.
    I did one good pass gradually accelerating to about 70mph. The car stayed pretty straight without having to push too hard on the steering.
    I did a second pass accelerating harder and the car just spun out, did a 180, and rolled about 60 feet into a curb.

I don't know what else to do. Need some trouble shooting advice.

Damage from hitting the curb. Broke rear arm and ESC popped out of place.
    Last edited by iMotion_Dung; 02-26-2012 at 01:36 AM.

RC Champion
    maybe check to make sure the bearings are all free rolling in wheels, this can cause it to pull.
    E-revo mmm/2200
    100+mph tc4 neu powered

RC Enthusiast

just a thought, but check to make sure none of your tires are damaged. some of my other cars start to pull when one of the tires comes unglued. if you rev it up a little, you can see the bad or unglued tire balloon. also make sure none of the are wobbling excessively.
    Last edited by iaanr; 02-26-2012 at 07:04 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys.. I checked my tires and all of them are okay. I guess it time for me to upgrade to all Ceramic bearings.
    Just making sure before i order, are they all the same size?
    Do i need Eight 6x12x4?
    http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bear...-bearings.html

RC Racer
    yes! great bearings i love avid.....

RC poster
    I just had this same issue. Picked car up and lr wheel was wobbling. Both bearings were gone. Only thing left was the metal outer of the bearing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan9534 View Post
    I just had this same issue. Picked car up and lr wheel was wobbling. Both bearings were gone. Only thing left was the metal outer of the bearing.
    That's the weird thing. I've had my bearings fall apart a few times and i always know because my wheels wobble like crazy. Right now none of my wheels are wobbling and the car still pulls hard to the right. I guess they're just going bad and haven't fallen apart yet so I'm just gonna replace them all with ceramic.

Here's when my bearings did fall apart.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ngs-fall-apart

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On a slash I worked on recently, it was the front camber and toe... after I got those as close as I could, the car ran much straighter...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    On a slash I worked on recently, it was the front camber and toe... after I got those as close as I could, the car ran much straighter...
    Was your slash pulling to the side all the time or only at acceleration?
    What toe and camber should my front be set at?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Under accel, my xo was pulling right last weekend. I just cleaned up servo saver, it had some grit in the cam.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks... another good tip.

So i ordered new Bearings.
    Checked tires
    Need to correct camber/toe
    Clean servo saver.

I hope I'm good to go after all this.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey which way are your rear carriers? I flipped them so they read 1.5 degree, instead of the stock 3.5

A buddy of mine suggested that might contribute to the poor tracking... I dunno. I'm going to go back to stock, try to start from scratch.

Oh one more thing, that works on my 2Slash... I've got the GTR shocks on it, and if it pulls to one side under acceleration I adjust the preload just a touch. Like if it pulls right, I'll put just a bit more preload on the right rear.

RC Qualifier
    Hey which way are your rear carriers? I flipped them so they read 1.5 degree, instead of the stock 3.5

A buddy of mine suggested that might contribute to the poor tracking... I dunno. I'm going to go back to stock, try to start from scratch.

Oh one more thing, that works on my 2Slash... I've got the GTR shocks on it, and if it pulls to one side under acceleration I adjust the preload just a touch. Like if it pulls right, I'll put just a bit more preload on the right rear.
    My rear carriers is still stock position. I did put on some stiffer Revo springs but i was having the problem before i installed the new springs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmmm. Well you and I seem to have the same problem. I did some work tonight, we'll see if it pans out.

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm. Well you and I seem to have the same problem. I did some work tonight, we'll see if it pans out.
    Keep me updated... i probably wont be running for another week. Since i broke 3 arms already just gave up and ordered all RPM arms. I'm sure they have more flex to them but i don't think it'll effect the handling too much. I mean they were made to flex in off road conditions to prevent breaking. How much more would they flex compared to the stock ones in On-road conditions.
    I'm also waiting on bearings and then i'll have to get it all put together.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My buddy is running RPM arms... seems to work fine.

I'm lookin for RPM splitter and mount... I bust up that front end way too easy.

RC Qualifier
    I just checked my car. The front right wheel's camber was slightly more negative. Would that make a dramatic enough difference for my car to spin a 180 every time I accelerate hard with the wheel turned?
    I wouldn't know because I'm so used to offload vehicles and my only other inroad car is a drifter on ABS tires.
    This is my first grip on road car.

RC Enthusiast
    Is the inner wheel bearing a different size. 5117 is outer. 5119 inner?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones Auto View Post
    Is the inner wheel bearing a different size. 5117 is outer. 5119 inner?
    The rear inner and outer is the same but the front has a bigger inner bearing. Not sure what the size is.

RC Champion
    IMO you should look up the parts list. The first section at the top left of the first page is called Bearings & Bushings.

RC Qualifier
    Rear inner and outer is 6X12X4
    Front Outer 6X12X4
    Front Inner 10X15X4

RC Champion
    Hey motion, did you ever find any bad bearings? Or any cause for the pull?
    E-revo mmm/2200
    100+mph tc4 neu powered

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by phildogg View Post
    Hey motion, did you ever find any bad bearings? Or any cause for the pull?
    I pulled out the bearing and all of them were still in tack. I'm still waiting on my RPM arms and Avid bearings. I'll update when i get it all back together and running.

RC Champion
    I have a friend with the same prob. Pulling to the right also. Lmk what you find.
    E-revo mmm/2200
    100+mph tc4 neu powered

RC Qualifier
    i totally forgot that i had this video on my GoPro. When i record i forgot that i was recording because i was distracted by the car pulling to the side.

Don't have to watch the whole video because i didn't edit it but it shows how the car does a 180 every time i turn right. I have no control over the car at all when turning right.

RC Qualifier
    One step closer to up and running again.

RC Enthusiast
    Motion the vids are great waiting for my xo1 to arrive. Heres my collection so far

RC Enthusiast
    You need one of these for your real car collection. 2010 911 Gt3. We had this in for service.

RC Qualifier
    Motion the vids are great waiting for my xo1 to arrive. Heres my collection so far[/IMG]
    You need one of these for your real car collection. 2010 911 Gt3. We had this in for service.
    NICE!!!!.. You'll love the XO-1 and you'll share my same problem. Hard to find a place to run XO-1 and 5ive-T wide open.

RC Qualifier
    So i did all new bearings, 100k diff oil front and rear, check the tires, check camber/toe, replace rear arms with RPM, and adjusted the steering trim a bunch of times.
    Going to replace the front arms to RPM tonight.

My car runs straighter then before so at least i have control over when turning right but it just wont stay straight on its own.
    I ran the car down the street at about 10-15mph and adjusted the trim a few times to get it straight but as soon as i accelerate even just a little bit harder the car pulls to the side.
    As for accelerating hard and trying to keep it straight... almost impossible.

What else can i do?

RC Competitor
    Heavy diff oil in the rear might help on another thread a member stated that his xo-1 accelerates a lot better with heavy weight in the rear diff

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_SPEED_JUNKIE View Post
    Heavy diff oil in the rear might help on another thread a member stated that his xo-1 accelerates a lot better with heavy weight in the rear diff
    yeah 100k was all i had. thinking of 250K or 300k. don't know what's overkill.
    Anyone sell a sway bar kit yet?

RC Enthusiast
    Did you give it a few moderate revs with the car held off the ground to make sure none of the wheels are wobbling or ballooning?

Otherwise, I would suggest you get new wheels/tires.

Also, if you swap the tires over to the other side does it pull to the right or does it switch to the left?

Also, you ruled out a gyro malfunction right?
    Last edited by iaanr; 03-02-2012 at 04:43 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OTmG8U6Y2w4. This is the track where I race at.
    Last edited by Jones Auto; 03-02-2012 at 05:36 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by iaanr View Post
    Did you give it a few moderate revs with the car held off the ground to make sure none of the wheels are wobbling or ballooning?

Otherwise, I would suggest you get new wheels/tires.

Also, if you swap the tires over to the other side does it pull to the right or does it switch to the left?

Also, you ruled out a gyro malfunction right?
    I'll give that a try when i get home.

I disconnected the gyro for now just in case it was that malfunctioning.

RC Racer
    Hey man are you running the stock radio!!

The stock radio did that to me on both of my cars.

Once I changed the radio gear out it ran nice and straight

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by racksteris View Post
    Hey man are you running the stock radio!!

The stock radio did that to me on both of my cars.

Once I changed the radio gear out it ran nice and straight

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    We all know you have a very strong dislike of the TQi radio but you cant keep blaming every issue that comes up on the radio. It just does not make any sense and frankly is getting pretty old and starting to look an awful lot like Traxxas bashing.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by iMotion_Dung View Post
    So i did all new bearings, 100k diff oil front and rear,
    What else can i do?
    I would change the rear diff oil back to the stock 10K and see if that helps. If it does, then slowly increase the wt to suite your preference if desired. Going from 10K to 100K is a big jump.
    I always have similar problems with my on roads when using too high viscosity diff oil in the rear compared to the front.

No sure if thats your issue but, thats what I would do...
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    I tried the swapping the wheels around and that did little help. so i tried some other on-road wheels that i had laying around. that seems to be a little better but being non belted it can't handle the high speeds.

RC Qualifier
    Car feels a lot better after the bearings and new arms. The car tracks straight and only pulls slightly when under hard acceleration for long durations but i think thats how my car was when i bought it. I can roll at about 20mph and nail the throttle for a second or 2 without the car doing a 180. It'll just spin the wheels but stay straight.
    Just curious to see how my Spectrum would feel on the XO-1 i threw it on for a few test runs. It feels so much more comfortable and more responsive so i might be keeping it. I'd just need to buy a temperature sensor to keep an eye on the motor.
    I adjusted everything on the Spectrum remote and now I'm loving it. After a few good runs i decided to put the HPI D-Box gyro back on and set the sensitivity at 50%. EVEN BETTER!!!