RC poster

My New Summit VXL died after 3 runs

Hi Guys, I am new to the world of RC, so please bear with me for my shallow knowledge.

I am in Asia and ordered my 1/16 Summit from Tower Hobbies. So I can only get support via Traxxas support online and this forum, so here goes:

Yesterday, my summit ESC shuts down after running my 2nd set of batteries ( I ran 2X 1200mah stock in parallel) At first , it blinked between green and red,... then it just shuts off and no lights at all. This morning, when I tried switch on again, it came back and the ESC lights stays at red, which is correct since I am running on NiMh batteries. But then the Receiver box shows constant red light! And any trigger on the transmitter have no response at all.

Does this means that the receiver is spoilt? Please advise.

Cheers!

RC Racer
    Try unplugging the servo and try the throttle. Most of the time its the servo.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I second the trying without the servo plugged in.
    These servos are known to cause electrical issues...

Here is a list of servos... keep in mind not all of them are an upgrade:
    http://www.servodatabase.com/compare...1677,2119,2130

I chose the *******/Blue Bird 390

If you decide to get the 390, here is how to set it up:
    390 Set Up

All stock hardware is used.
    NONE of the hardware included is needed!

There are tab braces that do not allow the servo gaurd to sit flush.
    IT IS OPTIONAL TO REMOVE THEM.
    I have done this both ways without any adverse reactions.
    Here is a picture of the braces:

The only reason this may need to be done is because of the small gap between the chassis and the servo gaurd.

You will also need to reverse the servo direction.
    These are the steps to follow to do so:
    (Traxxas LINK)

Hold MENU
    Green Blinks

Press MENU
    2 Green Blinks

Press SET
    Green Blinks

Press SET
    Red Blinks

Press SET
    8 Green Blinks

Hold MENU
    Setup Complete
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Hi Jimmie, Thanks for your recommendation, I googled the ******* 390 and ordered one online.

But is your '390 setup' suppose to link to somewhere? Cos I can't see any links at all.

About reserving the servo direction, are those steps done on the transmitter ? Sorry for this stupid question.

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words (and filtered websites - that was one of them) to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-25-2012 at 06:20 PM.

RC poster
    Just an update,.. this morning, I tried turning on the truck again , without doing anything to it, and it all worked again! Why?

I cannot run my car in peace if this inconsistency carries on without a reason. Does anyone also faces such problem with this 1/16 Summit? Btw, mine is the latest 2.4GHz TQi version, so the receiver is a different one , not sure if there are bugs in it.

My underlined "390 Set Up" does not link anywhere.
    Where ever you found it is probably the only on line retailer.

Yes, you reverse servo direction with the transmitter.

I still believe it is the servo.

RC poster
    Jimmie, may I know how do you waterproof the ******* 390? Or is it already waterproofed?

I have not waterproofed it.
    But if I were to, I would pack the top with grease and use silicone sealant around the case seams.

RC Competitor
    Mine went out again this weekend, luckily I had another stock one on hand. Got Traxxas sending me another back up. I will go ahead and pick up the aftermarket servo since this is #4 in 60 days.

RC poster
    Wow,.. didn't know the stock servo can be that unreliable.

RC Champion
    just that servo has known issues, call Traxxas tech support, you might get a new one free...

....here's to a great warranty program...

RC poster
    I experienced another problem... when I throttle the car, it 'stuttered', or is it called clogging? jerk a couple of times and refuse to move. What's the problem?

RC Racer
    That sounds like cogging and it's normal.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    just that servo has known issues, call Traxxas tech support, you might get a new one free...

....here's to a great warranty program...
    What are you telling tech support to get them to replace the servo? I called and they told me "don't turn all the way"....not too impressed, since the other time I called, TS told me not to run two Lipo's in parallel.

RC Champion
    Yeah they told me not to run in parallel either! I was confused, they sell parallel connectors, the chassis has room for two batteries, and all that parallel does is provide longer run times, and the amps if needed by the motor that they sell.

The guy said to me, "just run singles.. when one dies, bring it in and replace the battery.. I mean it's going to last at least 20 minutes anyway!" and I said, "yeah I guess....."

Strange that they're telling people not to. CONSPIRACY I SAY! =D

RC Champion
    I suppose their way of saving money on a crappy servo design is tell you its your fault it broke. I would think if they had enough complaints someone in marketing would say...."we need to fix this, our Customer Support/warranty is going to take a hit...if we are going to expand our market by sponsoring a race car, we need to fix our known products so we dont lose customers".

You would think anyway

RC Competitor
    I have another one on the way, they asked me to call as soon as I get it so they can help me adjust the endpoints from the remote. I give that a shot and when this one fails, I have one stock back up left, I will then order the aftermarket servo.

RC Racer
    It's very sad when they have a known poorly designed/manufactured servo and are doing nothing (as far as I know) about it. Hopefully somebody with some influence on Traxxas R&D reads this.